1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Captivate have an antenna jack?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Despotes, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Despotes

Despotes Newbie

Has anyone confirmed if this has an antenna jack inside the back cover?
    If so, what jack do you need?

I'm currently looking for a phone that has an antenna jack because reception in my house is very inconsistent. I could have 5 bars 1 minute and suddenly be down to 1 the rest of the day.
    I'd get a call when there's only 1 bar and can't even make out what is being said. (Currently using Nokia 5800 Express/unlocked.) VERY frustrating to me and to the person on the other end.
    At home I'd love to use an external antenna for a few extra bars.

I'm currently an AT&T customer in central Maine (No contract), but if I have to switch carriers to get better reception (gamble) from a different phone I will.

Can I do better than a Captivate? Reception and sound quality are top priority. Everything else is gravy.

The Droid X according to reviewgist seems to have the best reception, but is it a decent phone overall? Also, it looks like Verizon has more coverage (according to their map) for my area. 04967

Advertisement

2. Despotes

Despotes Newbie

Nobody knows?

3. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto

You can get a MicroCell from AT&T, that'll amplify the signal for you in your house. I have one, but I'm a longtime AT&T customer, and I whined to the retention department, they sent me one for free. You can pay $199, they may give you a $50 rebate, or they may give it to you if you sign a two year agreement. Signals up there are dicey, I know, we've got a house in southern Maine and travel all around central Maine frequently.

4. Xpcgamer

Xpcgamer Newbie

I would like to what that jack is behind the phone as well. Is it a jack?

5. reinbeau

There's some kind of connector inside to the right of the battery, there have been various conjectures as to what it is, no one seems to know for sure. It looks like an mcx connector to me, but I'm no expert.

6. Despotes

Despotes Newbie

7. Despotes

Despotes Newbie

How much did it improve your signal?
    Will it work with Time Warner cable internet?

8. reinbeau

Well, I no longer have to go upstairs to my bedroom and hold the phone near the window - so it improved it nicely. I am positive this is an AT&T thing only, but I'll bet some place like Best Buy has one that works generically on other networks.

9. Despotes

Despotes Newbie

Just spoke to an AT&T rep. It will work with Time Warner cable. Now I just need to convince them to send me one for free.

10. reinbeau

Good luck with that. I had leverage, I've been a customer of theirs for over 20 years now. I got to the retention people, they knew if they didn't help me I was serious about jumping ship when my contract was up - and they ended up giving me one. Also, the local store manager, who is actually responsible for providing the unit to me, has one, and lives right behind me - he was in my Boy Scout Troop :) It pays to have connections! :D

11. Despotes

Despotes Newbie

I got my Captivate, but it has the shutdown bug! Every hour or so it shuts down.
    Manufacture date Jan 2011.
    Pointless to get MicroCell if the phone is off.
    Is there a better phone?

12. reinbeau

Return it - I've got an older Captivate, and mind doesn't do that at all. Just return it to AT&T and get a replacement.