• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate in the IT field

Fastblack

Lurker
Aug 28, 2010
I'm in IT and plan on most likely getting a Captivate from work for my job. I will be using VPN to connect to my work network (ipsec) and then using a remote desktop app to support people remotly when I am not in front of a computer. (No WiFi at work)

I currently have an iPhone 4 as a personal phone, and I know that I can use the logmein app to connect to computers and use the phone at the same time. I'm assuming I can do this on the captivate also. I was hoping to get the fascinate for the flash, and the fact that Verizon works much better at one of my remote offices, but the fascinate will not be able to do voice + data at the same time right? Also from what I read it has less RAM available.

Does anyone else work in IT and use this phone? What are your experiences with it as far as helping you on the job?

I have logmein ignition and if you plan to do anything remotely you better get yourself a notebook with a broadband card. Yes, you can use logmein to do remote administration but that's like steering a car with your feet.

Honestly, screensize is everything for me. I run my own consulting company. The only thing I use this phone for is keeping track of my passwords, taking photos of bluescreens, and storing information about software and configuration.

Upvote 0
Oh I have a laptop, and I will be tethering the phone to it if I ever plan on being away from the office. I just want the feature on the phone just in case something comes up. Like if I dont have my laptop with me, and I am somewhere where there is not a computer available and my CEO calls me with some kind of software computer issue, I wont have to go home to see what is probably an easy fix or user error.

Upvote 0
Yeah, like the others have said, remoting to machines works in a pinch but there are few situations for which I don't have a better alternative handy. Remote Rdp lite works very well. Only problem I've had with my captivate in my shop is having to set up a static lease on the dhcp server and static ip on the phone to make wifi work. Apparently, it just can't handle multiple APs.

Upvote 0
I actually do not have Wifi at work. It would have to be through VPN over 3g. We use cisco ipsec here at work for our vpn. Android can connect to a vpn correct?

IPSEC VPN to Cisco devices is touchy at best. Support is not native, requires rooting the device and loading openVPN binaries, configuration apps, and a custom compiled tun.ko file. Most people report being able to get it working, but others (such as myself) have not had much luck. The problem stems from android's lack of group authentication support on the Cisco devices.

Don't get me wrong, it's possible (as others have shown), but it's not native and can be a pain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones