1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Captivate - no sound when the phone rings

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by kchittam, Jun 26, 2011.

1. kchittam

kchittam Lurker
    None

Jun 26, 2011
    I apologize if this question has already been answered. My Samsung Captivate will not make noise when I get an incoming call. The system setting volume is at max and so is the volume on the side of the phone. The only way I know I'm getting a call is if I happen to be looking at my phone at the time. I have taken the battery out for a minute in the past and that has done the trick temporarily but now that won't even work. Is there something I should be doing? Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

2. Jack45

Jack45 Android Expert
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    First, welcome!

Assuming your phone isn't in Silent mode within Settings, Sound...check Settings, Phone ringtone. Some (all?) devices have a Silent ringtone choice. See if it's checked.

3. BigCat8

BigCat8 Member
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    Are you using custom ringtones? Are you able to still play mp3s on your phone when this occurs (in music player or your preferred app, etc.)?

I'd imagine you're not dealing with the issue I'm thinking of since reboots don't solve the issue, but it's worth asking.

4. fldude99

fldude99 Android Expert
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    NW FL
    Are you connected to a BT headset that has media checked in the options? I had this problem and it was due to my jawbone hijacking the sound. I unchecked media in the BT options for the jawbone and haven't had a problem since

5. blueomega

blueomega Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    if its anything like the problem that i am having just simply twisting the phone by holding the device in landscape(left hand holding the ear peice or [top] of the phone right hand holding the mic [bottom] of the phone) with your thumbs pointing up press your right thumb away from you and your left hand towards you. If this does work for you it will only be temporary

6. blueomega

blueomega Lurker
    None

Feb 1, 2012
    Ignore my last post as this will Only cause more damage and the same with the pushing of the back of the speaker idea. Was sick of chock holding my phone just to get the sound on for a second or two a then found this thread and it gave me some ambition to investigate the issue further found a tutorial on replacing the speaker which had great instructions with pics after makeing a tool to assist I decided to attempt the dismantling of the phone. So basically long story short there is a contact between the speaker and the phones motherboard that was not making full contatct if u can picture this < as being the contact I just over bent it so that it would defiantly make contact . So far I have been playing music for two hours and it has not gone off yet so for now the issue is resolved I hope this helps someone. If you want the link to the speaker replacement tutorial I will be happy to do so just email me mrblueomega@gmail.com