1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Captivate not sending MMS messages?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Terrigno, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ok. So I just got off a half hour conversation with AT&T and We cant figure out for the life of the phone, why MMS messages cannot be sent. Although, when they did send me a small AT&T logo I did receive it. And When I sent that to myself, it did send and I received it again. I then took out my SIM and put it in my BlackBerry 9700 and MMS sent find and received fine. Any size picture. I then took a picture with the camera on the Captive in Fine, Normal and Super Fine. And each picture I tried to send to myself. Each said Compressing picture and when I go to send it, it stays on sending.

That guy got so fed up he told me to Google it lol. So I did, and I see some others are having the same issue. Anyone else experiencing this?

Advertisement

2. MrTony

Jul 16, 2010
    Sorry buddy, I'm not having it on this phone, but EVERY other time I had the issue on my old WinMo phones, it was because somebody screwed up my data plan at AT&T. They never would tell me what the ONE setting was that was off, but it was always that. I specifically recall having this issue when I went from a MediaNet data plan to an Unlimited Smartphone plan and also when I added Family Messaging to my plan. I'd call in and try to get someone else to look over your settings. I seriously doubt it's your phone.

3. Terrigno

Terrigno Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    North Carolina
    Thanks for that. You know what? I did send the picture to myself and it finally came to me, 10 minutes later. But it was a pic taken with normal setting on the phones camera. I think its just if pictures are to huge, it wont send right. I never had this problem on Verizon lol

4. sonicanatidae

sonicanatidae Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2010
    I dont seem to be able to send pics via MMS at all.

Experimenting a bit more today, but no progress yet.

I came from an IPhone and had unlimited data and MMS.

When I converted to Captivate I went to a Family plan,
    kept my Unlimited Data and upgraded my $20 unlimited sms/mms
    to the family version... thats basically +$10 for the same thing.

Since I live in Hickville, USA I only have EDGE, but the EDGE link
    is up.. I also have wifi in my office..

Neither transport will allow me to send..

5. keplenk

keplenk Member

Jul 18, 2010
    AT&T's network are having upload speed problems right now (at least here in NJ). But I heard that it was an issue with the other cities as well. They are waiting for alcatel-lucent to fix the upload issues.

AT&T Blames Upload Problems On Software Bug :: App Advice

I know it was date July 7, but I tried speedtest on my wife's phone and there are still problems. I guess Alcatel or AT&T forgot about it.

If you're using WIFI and have the same problem, it might be something else.

Good luck.

6. Intervenient

Jul 14, 2010
    Student at UCSB
    Can't recieve MMS, but I can send them. Anyone else?

7. MrTony

Jul 16, 2010
    I took a pic at max resolution (5MP) and sent it via MMS. Obviously, it compressed the image to the max allowable to be sent via MMS.

8. Pinetree09

Pinetree09 Active Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Texas
    I sent a picture to my email and received it like 5 hours later, so now I just open Gmail and send an email to myself with the image attached

9. dsjr2006

dsjr2006 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    Michigan
    I can't send MMS at all

10. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2010
    DETROIT MI!
    So is there anyone who has no issues sending and receiving mms?

11. tyte

tyte Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    me... works flawless for me... i live in san francisco though :eek:

12. ghostfox1

ghostfox1 Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Mine works. On edge, it just takes a while due to slow upload speeds.

13. cypherphone

cypherphone Member

Oct 2, 2009
    having the exact same issues when using EDGE... i can receive fine, but cant send... i went to a 3g area and had hardly any problems sending.
    ATT said they were going to change one setting on my account but it would take a week to do and that should fix the problem. ill see around thursday

14. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Nada here.

Get a notice in notification bar "Message nt sent" and a pop-up that says "Error in server response."

Been on with AT&T 611 for 30min already...

This would suck, as there's now 3 Captivates in the house - oldest son and wife jumped the Apple ship onto Android, but this ain't good....

I'm loving the cappy, and honestly, in 12 years I've been with AT&T, this test to my wife's cappy is the first time I've EVER sent an MMS :)

T

15. Chromag

Chromag Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2010
    I tested by taking a picture and sending it to my wife's iPhone via MMS and it worked just fine.

16. Sharkonwheels

Sharkonwheels Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Hah! Couple of you were right, indeed!

While I was on hold, and reading MrTony's post, I remembered that when I upgraded my main line (3GS) to Captivate, they had to remove Family Messaging Unlimited to do the upgrade, and then put it back.

Guess what happened?

Yeah - he fixed it by re-adding Family Messaging Unlimited, and MMS is working here, send and receive.

Tks for posting info, folks - let's keep this going on all threads, and most people can call AT&T most times knowing what their issue is beforehand!!!!

Now to get more than 1-2 bars in my home...

And no, it ain't the Cappy - EVERY PHONE we've had here the past 10 years has exhibited the same issues. Guy on the phone did say a new 3G tower was coming up just East of my house on August 27th, so let's see if that helps some!

T

17. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    NJ
    So what if we have no messaging plan at all? I only occasionally send texts. Will I be able to send a MMS message?

18. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Well on my phone the issue was dumb.

I hadn't been able to send or receive SMS or MMS message on my Captivate. When I got it, I had asked the AT&T rep to remove the 200-for-$5 thing I had on my plan since I wasn't using it enough to make it worth it. Turns out she disabled texting entirely by not replacing it with the pay-per-text "plan". Pay-per-text is a free line item on your plan but it has to be present for texting to be enabling.

So yes, you can text without a extra-cost add-on to your plan, but you need the free pay-per-text option on your plan otherwise it won't work. So if you're having trouble, call AT&T and have them confirm.

19. rlb4

rlb4 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    NJ
    I can send texts now, so that means I should be able to send MMS messages?

20. cypherphone

cypherphone Member

Oct 2, 2009
    still a no go on sending mms... works on 3g fine, but hardly ever on edge.. ATT is saying its phone hardware related now..

21. brefmint

brefmint Member

Jul 26, 2010
    There is no 3g where I live. Only Edge. I have not been able to text a picture with this phone yet. I can recieve them but sending fails every time. I popped my SIM card back in my Nokia e71x and it sent pictures just fine. Anybody know what's up with this?

22. acp

acp Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I was able to send MMS using the app Handcent SMS, also this app wakes the phone up when you get a text. Much better than stock settings.

23. lionheartck

lionheartck Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Download handcent SMS, under settings and send message settings, set maximum mms size to 100k. I think the captivate likes to send pics at 600k. The default messaging app won't let you set a maximum mms size, and EDGE is no good for big uploads.

24. brefmint

brefmint Member

Jul 26, 2010
    I'm getting force close error messages trying to attach pics with Handcent. I really love this phone but if I can't send pic texts then it's not worth having.

25. Prim8

Prim8 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    I get the force close error with Handcent as well.