• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate or Xperia X10

Troglodad

Jan 22, 2009
Getting ready to switch to AT&T but I can't decide on which phone to get:

Xperia is $.01 (added to our family plan), has 8MP camera with flash.

Captivate has loads more memory, but no flash, and a 720P HD camcorder and runs $100, and video output

I really wanted a flash, but the increased memory and ability to connect to an external monitor sounds great.

Just wish one of these had a physical keyboard like my ADP1/Dream/G1.

Captivate has loads more memory, but no flash, and a 720P HD camcorder and runs $100, and video output

I really wanted a flash, but the increased memory and ability to connect to an external monitor sounds great.

If you wait until sunday, you can get an htc inspire for $99. It has an 8 mp camera with dual flash.

Upvote 0
The X10 does not have a flash. It is just a light that you can turn on when using the camera and is a pain in the ass to use. With the upgrade to 2.1 you can shoot 720p with it as well. I used to have the X10 and switched to the captivate because I found the x10 pretty laggy. The one thing I do miss about the x10 though is the camera. I'd say if you are looking for a phone and planning on using the camera lots get the x10.

Upvote 0
Neither.

Samsung Captivate is outdated with no update in sight. Only talk of an update, but not transparency from Samsung's end.

The X10 is even more outdated than the Captivate.

As Zonker said, get the HTC Inspire. It's a steal at $100 on contract. I tried it out and it's very, very nice. It makes the Captivate look years and years older than it is. The phone feels like it has very good build quality and whatnot too. It's easily the best Android phone on AT&T right now. When the Motorola Atrix comes out, there will be more room for debate, but even then, I think it could still be a strong contender.

I'm upset with Samsung and the Galaxy S line of phones here in the US, can't you tell? haha. I'm never buying a Samsung Android phone again and I'll happily tell others to try other brands as well.

That said, I say get the HTC Inspire for $100 or wait a bit longer for the Atrix (which will cost more).

Upvote 0
Just an update, I just got the HTC Inspire 4G. If you are willing to spend $99 on contract, I highly recommend this phone. I got my first Captivate In July of 2010 so I have a lot of time with the phone. I rooted my Captivate and flashed many different ROMs.

Out of the box, the Inspire is a better experience than the Captivate running whatever 2.2 ROM you choose. Very smooth, everything just works out of the box, and the phone really is not much bigger than the Captivate. It just dedicates more screen space to the screen and less to "bezel".

I still have my Captivate, but the Inspire is already my daily driver. It is definitely worth checking out along with the Captivate.

Upvote 0
What makes the Inspire so great?

Granted i upgraded from a g1/ADP1 to the Captivate, but I have to say it's pretty damned nice. The picture quality on MP4s is incredible! Screen is responsive... only problem I'm having is connecting to my home Wifi server when I go to one end of the house- I start picking up signal from nighbor and it seems to be blocking my home wifi. Go to other end fo the home and no such problem. Could be my router messing up, and not the phone.

Oh, and the Captivate is too damned skinny. I want a nice, thick phone in my butterfingers, so I can hold it easier.

And I love the 16Gb internal memory so I can load up some of my favorite movies.

What does the Inspire have that makes it so much better? I still have 20-something days to return the Captivate and switch it out, so I really want to know.

Upvote 0
The Inspire does not have the word Samsung anywhere on it, that is the best thing about it......Also, if ever there is HSDPA+ out there to be had you will be able to use the Inspire to its advantage....There are a lot of things to look forward to in the HTC, little things like not shutting down on its own, A GPS that actually works, A file system that actually works....on and on etc.

Upvote 0
Neither.

Samsung Captivate is outdated with no update in sight. Only talk of an update, but not transparency from Samsung's end.

The X10 is even more outdated than the Captivate.

As Zonker said, get the HTC Inspire. It's a steal at $100 on contract. I tried it out and it's very, very nice. It makes the Captivate look years and years older than it is. The phone feels like it has very good build quality and whatnot too. It's easily the best Android phone on AT&T right now. When the Motorola Atrix comes out, there will be more room for debate, but even then, I think it could still be a strong contender.

I'm upset with Samsung and the Galaxy S line of phones here in the US, can't you tell? haha. I'm never buying a Samsung Android phone again and I'll happily tell others to try other brands as well.

That said, I say get the HTC Inspire for $100 or wait a bit longer for the Atrix (which will cost more).

actually the froyo update for captivate has been out for rogers in canada for a round a month now. so the delay in the states to get froyo clearly has nothing to dow ith samsung but att.

Upvote 0
actually the froyo update for captivate has been out for rogers in canada for a round a month now. so the delay in the states to get froyo clearly has nothing to dow ith samsung but att.
I understand that Galaxy S phones elsewhere have been getting their updates, but if there are delays and such, more transparency from Samsung's end on the progress would have done wonders. It's been to my knowledge though that no Galaxy S phone in the US has gotten a steady, relatively bug-free build of Froyo out of Samsung. I know the Vibrant got something, but it wasn't without its faults.

The lack of communication from Samsung with its customers on something that the customers clearly really want is what really turned me off. Even if it is the carriers' faults, would it kill Samsung to give us a small status update on what's going on? It's possible that Samsung may be tied to some NDA with regards to the update though, so I'll give them the benefit of a doubt on that I guess. If they can't give info on specifics, would it be too hard to at least say "hey, working out some issues, it'll be about X days/weeks/months before we update you on the situation again". Instead, it's been nothing but a swirling rumor mill.

Still, updates were promised, and have been promised for previous phones and were never delivered. I know Samsung isn't the only one guilty of this. Thing is, getting this phone and then seeing other companies successfully put out updates (Droid line, EVO, etc.) for Froyo has just been obnoxious. I'm not too big on anything after Froyo at the moment since Froyo is the upgrade that seems to be bringing the biggest performance updates relative to previous updates.

Samsung makes great televisions, and some good phones too, but you won't find me with another one of their products again. Not when there are other equally good alternatives, if not better, out there. My next Android phone will be one with Froyo or newer, and not from Samsung.

Upvote 0
yah i say for what is out now deff go for the inspire 4g. My roommate just got one yesterday and she let me play with it and wow it jusat blew my captivate out of the water. Way easier to use and set up. Seems like it was built for android unlike the captivate. Screen size was bigger. I like the design and the camera. Sad I cant get it because my contract aint or I would dump this phone in a second.

Upvote 0
yah i say for what is out now deff go for the inspire 4g. My roommate just got one yesterday and she let me play with it and wow it jusat blew my captivate out of the water. Way easier to use and set up. Seems like it was built for android unlike the captivate. Screen size was bigger. I like the design and the camera. Sad I cant get it because my contract aint or I would dump this phone in a second.

Call up AT&T, politely ask to speak to their retentions department. Express your frustration (politely!) with the Captivate, it's GPS problems, the lack of Froyo update ... tell them you're thinking about paying your ETF and going with (insert other carrier name here) ... ask them what they can do for you. That you'd really prefer to stay with AT&T but that the Captivate isn't working for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones