• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Captivate totally stuck in Landscape mode!

wes78

Sep 11, 2010
All of a sudden, the phone just locked up in landscape mode. I rebooted it, took the battery out, etc. It's not just the launcher, it's all the aps, also. I realize there is a setting, and it's not working. I also found that the accelerometer calibration seems to be working, in settings.

Anyone know a fix for this? Is it a hardware issue, or should I reflash a new custom ROM? I'm currently running Perception build 8.

i may post my own thread, but part of my problem is yours.
out of the blue today i am at my small business with my phone sitting by my cash register and my staff member said they heard a beep sound. i thought it was a missed call. but when i walked over i saw that my phone turned on by itself?
it gets weirder....it was showing a blue screen with a clock and some settings like alarm and daily brief etc.
by doing a search i found out this screen is a program i dont remember seeing on my phone as an application before, its asif it suddenly appeared:thinking:
it is a samsung home option and it has added an application, at least i dont remember it....for a car option. I definitely know this, i have never seen nor opened that program ever in my phone use. didnt know it, or the car home option...existed.
it has two screen choices for this.

but the odd part is that when i tried to exit it, my screens were all in landscape mode and would not use the built in accelerometer to go vertical. Further odd was that i would hit the home button and instead of going to my middle screen out of 7 it would go back to the samsung 'desk home' screen.

so to sum up....it turns on by itself...with me ten feet away...shows a screen and app i have never even known i own...much less use or have opened...it is stuck in landscape mode and will not go vertical.

it has not been dropped recently and i am in canada and did do the 2.2 update a month ago. but it has been working perfectly normal til now. i dont use a backup program, so i am worried to try reset. i use samsung kies backup which does save contacts etc but it always removes and messes up all my screens and i have to add widgets and shortcuts and all the painstaking stuff i have customized.

does anyone know about this? Although the OP only mentions it is stuck in landscape, without mentioning my other issues, it is odd that mine happened this morning at about 11am local time and his went into landscape and stuck on the same day:thinking::thinking::thinking:

help please:(

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. Started 12march11 between 7-7:30 est now I'm stuck in landscape mode. I have tried calibration that didn't fix. I didn't install anything. I'm diving down the road talking on the phone I hear a beep look at the phone and I'm in landscape mode with a different Home screen. Help. :mad:

Upvote 0
Yesterday I picked up my phone and it too is now stuck in landscape mode for most screens. There a a few like Mileage Tracker home page that stay in portrait.

If I hit the home button, I now get a screen with the time and 5 app buttons along the bottom. This is a new characteristic of the phone operation. If I hit the exit, it goes to the what I call the main page. I still have 7 pages in the sequence of main pages.

I still haven't seen any solutions and its been a month since the last post on this thread.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone.

I got the same problem. Got my new captivate las saturday (came rooted and update to froyo), it was working perfeclty, then without any reason, two days ago sitting at my office computer with the phone sitting at my desk beside me, it did turn on by itself and load that @$&! app desktop home, now the phone is locked in landscape mode, I read that if you kill the DestopHome app and the TwLauncher, some times it fixes the problem, but that DesktopHome app keeps coming back!

isn't there any solution for this?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm back regretfullly no solution as yet, what is even worst is that after trying different solutions (some given by the phone seller others from the web) stills the issue persists.

After writting to the device seller on ebay, they suggested to reflash it, I did an went back to android 2.1, connected the device to Mini Kies, updated the device to android 2.2 (I897UCKB1). Everything looked fine, next morning the issue was back.

I rooted the device and alllowed Non-Market apps, following a procedure I found on the web I uninstalled DeskHome & CarHome. The device worked fine for some time, and it put the home screen back to landscape mode, even without the apps.

I can't say if it could be a problem with the USB port, though even with my device set to "ask on connection" when the issue is happening doesn't matter how many times I plug or unplegg the USB cable, it only charges the device.

Calibrating the device doesn't do anything either.

Honestly don't know what else to try, if any of you have any ideas I'm willing to try them.

Regards.

Upvote 0
This needs a bumb, I have the same issue as rupalazzi.
-USB isn't recognized as plugged into the computer by the captivate nor the computer.
-Stuck in landscape mode with homescreen and apps.

And to make problems worse, I can't even root my device without using USB. Not to mention reverting to stock froyo doesn't fix the issue either.

Maybe it's Froyo bugginh out on the captivate? Any method maybe to upgrade to Honeycomb, or maybe downgrade to eclair?

Upvote 0
This needs a bumb, I have the same issue as rupalazzi.
-USB isn't recognized as plugged into the computer by the captivate nor the computer.
-Stuck in landscape mode with homescreen and apps.

And to make problems worse, I can't even root my device without using USB. Not to mention reverting to stock froyo doesn't fix the issue either.

Maybe it's Froyo bugginh out on the captivate? Any method maybe to upgrade to Honeycomb, or maybe downgrade to eclair?

Exact same problem here, insurance replacement is $125, upgrade fee is now $38 won't replace phone over a year old.... We have 3 captivates, one new, having problems with both that are older.

Upvote 0
AT&T is sending me a new phone. One explanation for all the symptoms is a bad USB port. See the AT&T Captivate forum for the whole story.

Can't replace my captivate, out of warranty, and the one that is in warranty, Samsung refuses to fix, AT&T will not replace. I find it hard to believe that both my captivates will no longer connect to a PC and one of them is stuck in landscape mode. Seems doubtful that both would experience a bad USB port all of a sudden. I'd like to try and revert back to Froyo instead of Gingerbread before I had this problem of landscape mode. The one that is not stuck in landscape mode has not been upgraded to Gingerbread because we can't connect to a PC.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Vibrant also experience the same issue. 2 issues, screen stuck in landscape mode and USB is not working (only charging).

After I used a tooth pick (I was at work and that was the only thing I had to clean the port by rubbing the metal contacts) and tried clean the usb port on the phone, both worked afterward.

Upvote 0
All of a sudden, the phone just locked up in landscape mode. I rebooted it, took the battery out, etc. It's not just the launcher, it's all the aps, also. I realize there is a setting, and it's not working. I also found that the accelerometer calibration seems to be working, in settings.

Anyone know a fix for this? Is it a hardware issue, or should I reflash a new custom ROM? I'm currently running Perception build 8.

I know this will sound odd, but I had the same problem, tried everything except rooting. Researched and worked on it for weeks. Samsung would not honor the warranty. After ordering my new Moto Atrix2, the Captivate mysteriously fixed itself, but I love my Motorola a hundred times more anyway, so I now have a partially dependable back up phone.

Upvote 0
I have the Samsung Vibrant also experience the same issue. 2 issues, screen stuck in landscape mode and USB is not working (only charging).

After I used a tooth pick (I was at work and that was the only thing I had to clean the port by rubbing the metal contacts) and tried clean the usb port on the phone, both worked afterward.

THANK YOU!! This fixed my problem. I didn't have toothpick- but I pluged in charger at usb port on phone and kept pluging and unpluging to scrub contacts and phone went back to normal!:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones