• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Captivate wifi sleep nightmare with pandora

digitlman

Lurker
Aug 9, 2010
I know others have been discussing the wifi sleep mode but this is my experience so far.

I am connected to my home wifi network and load pandora and start streaming music. later that evening i get a text message from ATT saying i have gone over my 200MB data plan and they charged me an extra $15.

I have now of course discovered that all the captivate comes by default with wifi sleep set to the screen blanker. So when i started streaming with pandora then 5 seconds later my screen goes blank and it spends the rest of the day streaming from the 3G network. I have already called ATT and complained about this. I don't know if they did it on purpose to screw everyone over now that there's no unlimited data plan. But it seems crazy to ship this phone with that setting.

I also have been going online and looking at my data usage and see that even though i'm on my home wifi it has been doing 3G data transfers at like 2 or 3am while i am sleeping also. I now have my sleep mode set to NEVER.

I have also contacted Pandora and actually got a reply from them. I suggested that we desperately need an option to make pandora use WIFI ONLY or NEVER USE 3G put into the next update. The person said it sounded like a good idea and he would forward it on to the development team.

Aside from that i LOVE my captivate. it's a really great phone for 95% of everything. I only have few things i would like to change.

I really wish i could change the bottom right corner search button that i never use to a PHONE button to take me straight to the phone from wherever i am at. It's ironic that it seems like simply using the phone is the most complicated part of the captivate to me.

I really wish i could change the bottom right corner search button that i never use to a PHONE button to take me straight to the phone from wherever i am at. It's ironic that it seems like simply using the phone is the most complicated part of the captivate to me.

You are one extra tap away - just tap on the home button from any app and then tap your phone icon in the tray. One extra tap is not a problem to me.

And that right corner search button is actually useful - tap and hold it and just speak "call <a name from your address book>" and it places the call - saves you a few taps in the phone menu.

Upvote 0
And that right corner search button is actually useful - tap and hold it and just speak "call <a name from your address book>" and it places the call - saves you a few taps in the phone menu.[/QUOTE]

I just tried the voice cal feature you described and all it did was search google in the browser. Any settings I can change to make this work?

Thanks

Upvote 0
^^^ actually I am not understanding you completely - maybe you are just not holding the search button long enough? Tap on it and keep holding until the voice prompt pops up. If you just tap and release right away you go into google search dialogue.

I am long pressing the search button, the microphone pops up, I say "call john" and it opens up the browser and runs a google search on "call john".

Upvote 0
I was just about to start a new thread about Pandora and wifi turning off after a while. Did you find a solution? Someone refered to a wifi sleep mode, but i cant find that setting anywhere. What about an app or widget that can control what uses wifi or 3g?

Settings/Wireless and network/Wi-Fi Settings/ then menu button on phone, bottom left, Advanced/Wi-Fi Sleep policy. Set it to never.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones