1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Captivate will not turn on, update was interrupted

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mlb0028, Apr 18, 2012.

1. mlb0028

mlb0028 Lurker

Decided to update my phone to gingerbread today and everything was going great until the upgrade was randomly interrupted for no reason and my screen turned red. there was nothing i could do so i took out the battery and the phone turned off. however, when i tried to do the emergency recovery on kies it wouldnt turn on even after holding the volume up/down button or the power button! what do I do??

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. thaseus

thaseus Newbie

Hey,

Are you able to pull the battery, put it back in, then turn it on?

How about trying to get into the recovery menu. You do it by....

Pulling the battery and reinserting it after 10seconds. Then you need to hold down the UP-DOWN-MIDDLE Volume buttons (yes the middle is a button), and the power button at the same time.

If that brings you to a recovery menu, you can fix it by flashing to a stock or custom rom. If not, you may need to check out alternative ways to get into the recovery menu.

If none of the ways to get into recovery work, try buying or making a 308ohm Jig. You can find Youtube or web posts on how to make it (or buy them on ebay for like $6). The JIG should bring you into download mode, which also lets you flash your phone with a ROM.

Anyway, let us know.

3. mlb0028

mlb0028 Lurker

no it seems to be hardbricked, i pulled out the battery and put it back in after a while and it still wont turn on. Ive tried the emergency download mode yet it wont even go to it. I went to ATT today to talk to the people and they didnt even look at my phone they just straight up told me they dont fix things and then tried to persuade me to buy a new phone:mad:

4. cmilldrummin

cmilldrummin Lurker

When plugging the phone into an outlet, does the battery charging screen come up? If so your still in luck.
    And yes, a jig is you're best friend. AT&T just wants your money, they don't wanna help.

5. mlb0028

mlb0028 Lurker

The phone warms up when I plug it in an outlet but the charging screen does not come up. Ive read that the Jig wont work if its hardbricked..should I just go ahead and try it?

6. cmilldrummin

cmilldrummin Lurker

If the charging screen doesn't come on, you may very well be hard bricked. But the jig is definitely worth a shot, just try it as a last resort.

Samsung Captivate Forum

The Samsung Captivate release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 512GB RAM, Hummingbird processor, and 1500mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews