1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Captivate

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by jabales92, Feb 21, 2011.

1. jabales92

jabales92 Lurker

Hey guys i am currently new to the android and the captivate. Came from the i"hold me back"Phone. I love the stock captivate, but was looking at a bunch of threads and i cannot get any solutions when i read other posts. My GPS works and have lag if i try to many things at once but only happens if i don't turn my phone off for a couple days. Now if someone could tell me if i have to root the phone to actually get the froyo update? and is there a video of someone having the froyo update? and if my computer doesn't recognize my phone can i not get the update? and what about custom roms. what are so special about those?
    thanks with any solutions guys.

Advertisement

2. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Welcome to the Android Forums!

If you are waiting for the update from Samsung and your carrier then no you do not have to root your phone to get it. If, on the other hand, you are tired of waiting and want to install a custom ROM containing the update then yes rooting is typically needed.

Custom ROM's are basically little more than customized versions of Android optimized for your phone by fellow Android enthusiasts. They might not have the polish or the developmental support of the hardware manufacturers but they can sometimes contain specific features (like tethering) that the carrier does not want to provide for free...

3. jabales92

jabales92 Lurker

alright well my computer doesn't recognize my phone is that a problem for rooting? And i believe that att or samsung will never release the newer version. they dont want to be the top performer they are afraid of commitment.

Also do i have to have a custom rom to have the froyo update? and can you give me any help with this any videos and any downloads i need to do it with?

thanks

4. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Typically access to your computer isn't needed for rooting the phone if you're able to use one of the automated root apps like Z4Root.

http://androidforums.com/captivate-all-things-root/235967-z4root-vs-oclf.html
    http://androidforums.com/captivate-...orking-new-rogers-captivate-w-2-2-update.html

For more info on rooting your phone and for installing custom ROMs, check out the Samsung Captivate "All Things Root" forum. The folks there know a heck of a lot more about rooting Samsung Captivates than I do...

Captivate - All Things Root - Android Forums