1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Captive Potal Detection for Samsung Products

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by ksabo, Jun 10, 2016.

1. ksabo

ksabo Lurker
    None

Jun 10, 2016
    Hi all,

Designing a NAC for work and I am having trouble getting Samsung devices to recognize the user must sign in to a captive portal for network access. I have managed to find the URLs that other products use for captive portal detection (i.e. captive.apple.com for iOS, and most Androids use clients3.google.com/generate_204). In fact, every device I have tested (apple, motorola, older samsungs, lg, nexus) seems to present the user with a pop up stating they need to log in to the WiFi. Newer Samsung devices (confirmed on Galaxy Note S5 and Galaxy S7) are not presenting this pop up. I think Samsung has butchered the Standard that Google created and I am wondering what URL they use for Captive Portal Detection in their newer devices.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. WaltDjr

WaltDjr Lurker
    None

May 26, 2017
    Did you ever find an answer to this problem? I am having the same issue with my Galaxy S8.

3. David Esteves

David Esteves Lurker
    None

Aug 9, 2017
    Same problem here

when the phone connects, it doesn't do any DNS requests at all on any domain.
    It goes directly on the http server hosting the captive portal page, I guess using only the gateway's IP.
    It tries 3 times within 3s to get the /generate_204, then once again 1 min later. After that it stops trying until the user goes in the browser. From there everything works as expected.

I haven't seen any behavior like this with any other phone
    Any solution is welcome