• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Car AUX Input Issues

Why should I let this small issue force me to pay more money?

It is a simple issue to be solved and paying $50 to fix it doesn't make sense. There has to be a permanent solution.

Ok if the issue is Impedance being too low then you can try one of a couple things to bump the impedance up.

They do make impedance adapters which basically add a resistor to each side of the wire. Most likely something small like a 2 Ohm 10 W resistor would do for each side. Since most of you all won't really want to go out and solder up a pair you can try a few tricks to see if this will work. One would be to use a smaller wire (Skinnier wire. Not talking about the shielding around the wire but the actual thickness of the wire itself. The skinnier the better). Normally you want a thick wire (Lowers resistance). Try finding a cheap 3.5 wire somewhere. Monster cables and such would do the opposite (They would lower the impedance). Just remember skinnier wire = higher resistance. longer wire also = higher resistance.

Another thing you could try is to get an adapter to convert one side of your 3.5mm cable to a 3mm then plug that into a second adapter to convert it back to 3.5mm. The converting it twice might add enough impedance to it to bump it up into a higher range so it is detected.

This is all based on the impedance being too low. If that's not the issue then none of this will help.

Upvote 0
Ok if the issue is Impedance being too low then you can try one of a couple things to bump the impedance up.

They do make impedance adapters which basically add a resistor to each side of the wire. Most likely something small like a 2 Ohm 10 W resistor would do for each side. Since most of you all won't really want to go out and solder up a pair you can try a few tricks to see if this will work. One would be to use a smaller wire (Skinnier wire. Not talking about the shielding around the wire but the actual thickness of the wire itself. The skinnier the better). Normally you want a thick wire (Lowers resistance). Try finding a cheap 3.5 wire somewhere. Monster cables and such would do the opposite (They would lower the impedance). Just remember skinnier wire = higher resistance. longer wire also = higher resistance.

Another thing you could try is to get an adapter to convert one side of your 3.5mm cable to a 3mm then plug that into a second adapter to convert it back to 3.5mm. The converting it twice might add enough impedance to it to bump it up into a higher range so it is detected.

This is all based on the impedance being too low. If that's not the issue then none of this will help.

Thanks for the tip David.

I thought about this a lot. After talking with the advanced support person at Samsung, they had no idea what it could be. She mentioned that changin impedance might help... but only if it's because the resistance is too low. But then again, it could create more problems.

The cord I am using now is a cheap one from walmart ($5), thick shielding but most likely skinny wire. It is approximately 6ft long - so I am sure the impedance is pretty high already. I have tried a very short 3.5 too - no avail.

I honestly want to add a new stereo with bluetooth, but the principle of the problem still stands. Why should I have to spend a lot of money to fix such a small problem? It seems like such a small problem that I shouldn't be having a problem in the first place.

GAH!

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip David.

I thought about this a lot. After talking with the advanced support person at Samsung, they had no idea what it could be. She mentioned that changin impedance might help... but only if it's because the resistance is too low. But then again, it could create more problems.

The cord I am using now is a cheap one from walmart ($5), thick shielding but most likely skinny wire. It is approximately 6ft long - so I am sure the impedance is pretty high already. I have tried a very short 3.5 too - no avail.

I honestly want to add a new stereo with bluetooth, but the principle of the problem still stands. Why should I have to spend a lot of money to fix such a small problem? It seems like such a small problem that I shouldn't be having a problem in the first place.

GAH!

I think I solved the problem: it is an impedance problem. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!

So here is what I did:

I took two 3.5mm cords and plugged one cord into the car, and the other cord that isn't plugged into anything, into the phone. Then, with the two free ends, I simply, pointed the two free ends at each other and parallel to each other - which looks like this:

(cord)===](tip)
(tip)[===(cord)

I think by doing this, it added more resistance. I was able to pause/play and skip songs without it disconnecting the virtual connection. However, I believe this flipped polarity because I reversed the tips, correct?

Am I wrong?

Upvote 0
If what you did is consistent then yes you are on to it. Really does sound like an impedance issue. That would add some impedance to it (And reverse the polarity which the phone and stereo may or may not care about).

Can't help you all though. Either buy some sort of adapter for a cable (Or find one with higher impedance, buy a new car stereo or a new phone. or wait for a software upgrade (May never happen). Or do without.

You could cut a cable in half and reverse the polarity and twist tie the ends back together just to see if polarity has something to do with it.

Upvote 0
I think I solved the problem: it is an impedance problem. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!

So here is what I did:

I took two 3.5mm cords and plugged one cord into the car, and the other cord that isn't plugged into anything, into the phone. Then, with the two free ends, I simply, pointed the two free ends at each other and parallel to each other - which looks like this:

(cord)===](tip)
(tip)[===(cord)

I think by doing this, it added more resistance. I was able to pause/play and skip songs without it disconnecting the virtual connection. However, I believe this flipped polarity because I reversed the tips, correct?

Am I wrong?

So you can essentially duct tape the two tips together and maintain the virtual connection? If this works that's great, but I'd be concerned about the sustainability of this setup. How is the sound quality?

The main reason I went with the ibolt was that I got it for only $29.99 with an employee discount and I was looking for a good mount for using GPS anyways. Another perk is that it's really easy to drop my phone in, charge it and get sound out. I remember with my previous phone always having to fumble around for my aux in cord and also for a charger if I needed to use that, as well as a separate dash mount for GPS. I use the ibolt's dash-mount so that I can use the phone in car-dock mode and quickly get to various features of the phone while still having a good view of the road. My logic was that the alternative solutions would likely cost more(new stereo, "fixing" current stereo) or less optimal (finnicky or issues with sound quality) than I was willing to deal with.

As much as I love my 2009 9-3, sometimes I wish Saab wouldn't have to be so "different".

Upvote 0
Was doing a search on my way home for
"problems connecting samsung galaxy s3 in car aux" in google
and it came to this post!

So freaking informative and gave into my thoughts.

I DRIVE A 2008 SAAB 9-3 LoL

Though I'm glad I found out others have this misfortune, it is glad to know I'm not the only one. :( I will try and see if I can work on something that is not so rigged, but it seems like we are out of luck. Anyhow, I will keep attention to this thread to see if us SAAB owners have any luck.

Thanks guys,
BillY

Upvote 0
Has anyone come up with a solution for this? I have a 2007 9-3 Sportcombi and the iBolt and can't get it to work.

I too have a 2007 SAAB 9-5 Sportcombi and have had all of the same issues. I have tried many different AUX port cables to no avail. I have used lots of other devices with my AUX port and they all work fine (even the iPhone 5). I'm going to try the iBolt to see if that works. This is such an annoying problem!!!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, its not just SAAB! i just bought a 2007 BMW Z4 and am having the exact same issue. I do not want to buy another headunit because I love how the BMW stock radio looks and the dash kit would probably be hideuos and ridiculously expensive. I also am curious if this issue has anything to do with this auto-pause thing my s3 has going on. I LOVE MY S3 and my Z4, i just wish my audio would play without doing the MOST!

Upvote 0
Hi guys. I just checked this thread after quite a while and it seems that quite a few people have run into this issue. After reading the last post i did a quick search and found a bmw forum where someone was facing the exact issue.

Samsung Galaxy S3 not working in aux input - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

The response in that forum is a reiteration of whats been discussed here but it did give me an idea to try out an app called "SoundAbout." The app forces the phone to go into headset mode even if the phone isnt detecting the aux cable. I tried this on my phone and it did play through the cars speakers without me having to unplug the cable or anything, however the sound was kinda on the lower side. Here is the link to the app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix&hl=en

Also sometimes the songs would play in line, but on a couple of occasions i had to press play each time the song ended. NOT a perfect solution but it raised my hopes that maybe this can be solved through a software upgrade or something.

Let me know how this turns out for you guys and also if you manage to find a better app.

- Saad

Reactions: powridn
Upvote 0
Well the people who have tried using the ibolt dock have had success. The reason being that the cable routes the audio through the Usb port to the cars aux as it enables the dock mode on the phone. Since we were unable to play from the aux on the phone to the cars aux, a cable like this should help us out l.

I'm not a hundred percent on this but I think the jelly bean upgrade brings the audio via Usb feature to most phones and so we should be seeing more docks and cables that make use of this feature, similar to the ones available for iphones.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
This worked for my 2007 SAAB 9-5!

Hi guys. I just checked this thread after quite a while and it seems that quite a few people have run into this issue. After reading the last post i did a quick search and found a bmw forum where someone was facing the exact issue.

Samsung Galaxy S3 not working in aux input - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

The response in that forum is a reiteration of whats been discussed here but it did give me an idea to try out an app called "**********." The app forces the phone to go into headset mode even if the phone isnt detecting the aux cable. I tried this on my phone and it did play through the cars speakers without me having to unplug the cable or anything, however the sound was kinda on the lower side. Here is the link to the app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woodslink.android.wiredheadphoneroutingfix&hl=en

Also sometimes the songs would play in line, but on a couple of occasions i had to press play each time the song ended. NOT a perfect solution but it raised my hopes that maybe this can be solved through a software upgrade or something.

Let me know how this turns out for you guys and also if you manage to find a better app.

- Saad

Upvote 0
I too have a 2007 SAAB 9-5 Sportcombi and have had all of the same issues. I have tried many different AUX port cables to no avail. I have used lots of other devices with my AUX port and they all work fine (even the iPhone 5). I'm going to try the iBolt to see if that works. This is such an annoying problem!!!
I have a 2010 Saab 93 X w same problem. Will try ibolt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones