1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Car Charger?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Suthernmissy, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Suthernmissy

Suthernmissy Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2014
    Hi All - I'm new this Forum and to Android. Does anyone know the best car charger for the Optimus Showtime? Also, are those dual USB things OK to use?

I used a cheap car charger for the first time this week, and a message popped up saying I needed to charge more to power on - yet I was already 'on' at about 65%. The phone also got hot. I tried searching for a 'Genuine LG Charger' as suggested in the User Guide but that's difficult to find. Then I stumbled on posts about output, amperage and OEM - I think my cheap charger might ruin my phone. A few times afterwards I got the same pop up message using my wall charger but it's working OK now.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. ThatonedudexP

ThatonedudexP Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Pre-service elementary teacher
    Tennessee, United States
    Welcome to Android Forums!! :) Sorry about your rough time. Where did this faulty charger come from? I usually pick mine up from Walmart, and they work fine. I think they're like $12 ish.

Suthernmissy likes this.
  3. Suthernmissy

Suthernmissy Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2014
    Thanks for your reply. I got it on Amazon (which I'll be using less now that there is sales tax being added in NC).

4. ThatonedudexP

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Tennessee, United States
    Awesome and you're welcome! :) And that stinks. :(

5. Suthernmissy

Suthernmissy Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2014
    LG CS says they don't sell a car charger even though the user guide says buy genuine LG accessories. They suggested Amazon, where I got my 'compatible' car charger that no doubt would fry my phone. They also suggested going to BestBuy which I probably will do. I suppose I could call StraightTalk when I have time. I don't understand the jargon I read on line about the technical specs and what is needed to avoid damaging the phone with a car charger.

6. ThatonedudexP

None

Nov 20, 2011
    Male
    Tennessee, United States
    I've never paid attention to the jargon. haha I just picked up the charger that said, 'for most LG phones', tried it out and it worked. :p BestBuy would probably be a better place to go. My town doesn't have one. :(

7. clark71822

clark71822 Member
    None

Sep 4, 2012
    Male
    Over the Road Truck Driver
    Ashdown, AR
    I use one of those 2 port USB chargers that have the 1 amp and 2.1 amp ports like this and just use the USB cable that came with the phone in the 2.1 amp port. Works pretty well and it cost me just under 10 bucks. I haven't had any problems as far as the phone getting hot while it was sitting idle and screen off or brightness turned down low while charging. When I used Google's navigation app and had the brightness turned up, however, is when it would get real hot.

8. Suthernmissy

Suthernmissy Lurker
    None

Jan 31, 2014
    I'll have to try that - I bought a Belkin Mixit car charger which works well although it slow charges. The one that comes with the phone should be better.