1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Car chargers

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lucids, Dec 31, 2011.

1. lucids

lucids Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Just looking at getting a new dual USB car charger as the old one from maplin is only 500mA per usb socket. I notice that there are some that are dual 1amp or others where 1 usb is 2.1 amp and the other 1 amp. Even a proporta that is dual 2 amps per usb.

Is there a problem using one with a 2.1 amp output as opposed to 1 amp?

This one seems ok

Proporta HTC Desire HD In-Car Charger - Dual USB 4000mA: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    An important fact about charging is: Only the phone decides how much current it'll use for charging.
    The charger's spec just tells how much output current amperes the charger is able to provide to a phone.
    So the phone won't get any harm with a 4A charger :)

The phone's info tells about its charging state (Settings, About phone, Battery, Battery status ...):

"Charging (AC)"
    is showing when phone is charging on the wall charger which came with the phone.
    It means fast, high current charging with up to 1000mA (1A).

"Charging (USB)"
    is showing when the phone is charging on a PC's USB plug.
    It means slow, trickle current charging with up to 500mA.

Navigation apps are draining the phone's battery much more than other apps.
    Nav apps drains more current than an "USB" charging can provide and the battery's level is going low despite the charging.
    So when you are using a nav app in a car you'll need this "AC" charging with the car charger for charging properly the phone's battery.

Most phones will detect if they can use "AC" charging at the instant when they are put to the charger. They'll detect this when the charger's connector has an indication.
    And most phone manufacturers do code the microUSB connector of their wall chargers and car chargers with that indication.

But most manufacturer of generic chargers don't code their charger's microUSB connector in this way because they want to be compatible with all kind of USB devices.

So to be sure you should buy an original HTC car charger (C300) for your Desire HD :)

Harry

3. lucids

lucids Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks for the reply, I knew most of what you said just wanted to make sure there was no problem with using the higher capacity charger.

Unfortunately i can't use the HTC genuine charger as it doesn't fit properly in Golf mk6. I was going to buy one but there is a very detailed review on amazon by someone who elaborates the problems with the HTC in that car.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0044BBEBA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

HTC CC C300 Dual USB Car Charger with microUSB Cable

4. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    I see, some Europeen cars seems to have problems to meet the mechanical standard for the zigarette lighter ;)
    Yes, I remember that I saw some posts about in German forums.

So I hope that this Proporta 4A car charger will charge your DHD properly with 1000mA.
    It would be nice when you would review about in the forum :)

But if the Proporta won't charge properly there is an option:
    It is this HTC "charge-only" USB cable, mentioned in this Amazon review.
    I have this curled cable which came with the HTC car charger C200.
    So I know the cable has this "AC" coding in its microUSB connector.
    I use this cable with a generic 1.2A car charger and it charges all my HTC phones properly with "Charging (AC)" :)

Harry

5. djdillpickle

djdillpickle Member
    None

Apr 13, 2011
  6. RussWWFC

RussWWFC Android Enthusiast
    None

I am looking for a car charger that does 2 USB and also a cigarette lighter pass through for a TomTom etc

My current cigarette charger can't power the phone enough for it to use SatNav on the move, so I get a dead battery when I get to my desitination

Didn't used to be like that though, only happened in the last couple of months

7. Mehta23

Mehta23 Android Expert
    None

I just got a usb charger sorta thing from ebay.

Plugs into the 12v socket, allows any usb plug to go in.

Gives out 1A

8. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    I use a genuine Nokia charger which I've hardwired into the car behind the dash. I *think* it's 800mA output which is enough to have SatNav and an MP3 player running and charge the phone. The DC-4. I got it from Nokia direct as the previous "pattern" ones I'd bought weren't up to the job (charging the E71). Nokia do a round-pin to micro-usb convertor cable as well.

NB: I should get around to changing it now as both my wife and I have HTC phones (micro-USB plugs) but it works and I can't be ar5ed to take the dash apart to fix something that ain't broke ....

HTH

Dave