1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Car Dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LrdAnkh, Oct 3, 2011.

1. LrdAnkh

LrdAnkh Well-Known Member

Does anyone have an alternative to the Verizon car dock, I am looking for something that will not cost $50.00 bucks, and yet it works with the navigation package I have the Car Dock Home 3 software so i think as long as I can connect a power source to it I should be fine but I need alternatives. Thanks in Advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. LrdAnkh

I guess everyone is using the Official Verizon expensive one then.

3. thatguy188

thatguy188 Android Enthusiast

I am using the official one .... only because it came in my Costco Package, lol. I have no idea about Alternatives.

4. x026092

x026092 Android Enthusiast

I am also using the Moto car dock. I get 2 years of them, so the price does not matter.

5. LrdAnkh

6. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert

I've been looking at a Clingo mount for my personal vehicle (the Moto dock is in my work truck). I'd like to actually see one first, but nearest retail store that carries them is about 40 minutes away.

7. LrdAnkh

Id be afraid as to how the phone stays on it to begin with, second for that price you can pick up a Motorola branded one as well and I just don't want to spend that kind of money on accessories after paying what I did for the phone. But thanks for the suggestion.

8. CKwik240

CKwik240 Well-Known Member

You can get the VZW version for $40. It will be missing the Audio over USB cable, but not a big deal if you aren't going to be streaming music or have BT streaming capability. Its still pricey compared to some really cheap options, but the advantage is, the phone fits very well, can be docked and undocked with one hand and requires no clasping mechanism (there is one for Portrait mode, but I run mine in landscape so I removed the clasp. The auto-trigger for the car dock mode is quite convenient as well. Not sure if you know this, but it is compatible woth Car Dock Home v3. I use that car dock app and it works great with the dock. It is a pricey dock compared to generic docks, but it clearly has functionality and fit that generic docks will likely never have.

9. YodaDroid

YodaDroid Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that the actual Motorola dock has the special connection that pulls up the custom navigation menu.

It's worth the extra $10-15 for that in my opinion (makes the navigation system equivalent to Garmin)

10. Groid

Groid Android Enthusiast

The Moto cardock is quite good physically, but I wish bluetooth activation brought up Google Voice Search instead of the wonky Voice Commands. In Voice Search, I could say 'call Jane Doe at mobile' and it worked 98% of the time. In Voice Commands, the same request is right about 20% of the time.

11. kathy2343

kathy2343 Newbie

I never had any docks with my OG Droid, just a holder in my car. Wouldn't have bought them this time if they hadn't come with the Costco bundle. But I am truly enjoying the car dock and standard desk dock.

In the car, the dock pulls up a big-button selection screen, with several other screens available at a swipe, including customizable buttons. For this purpose, VZW's dock is worth it IMO. I have it mounted to the dashboard glass behind my steering wheel (can't put it on windshield here in CA), and it works great.

The desk dock keeps my phone front and center, has a music out to my desk speakers, and keeps the phone charged while I'm at work. Only problem I've had is getting it to see GoLauncher as my homescreen instead of Moto's home screen--I declined the dock desktop screen as it was too simplified for me. So for this one, a stock dock would work for me.

YMMV.

12. LrdAnkh

If you use a generic doc with power connection and the Car Home Dock 3 software wouldn't you get the same effect that you get out of the Motorola car dock? I am still not convinced to pay that amount of money for it, if it was half price like they did with the extended battery yes i would.

13. CKwik240

CKwik240 Well-Known Member

Once you have the phone in the dock, plugged in and the dock app running, yes. But what many of us paid for in buying the motorola dock is the convenience of docking the phone, plugging it in and opening the dock app in one step. This is what most of us who bought the dock paid for. Not to mention the fit and finish. But if you don't find value in that, then that's fine. Unfortunately, I don't really have any suggestions to offer you. Since I'm pretty content with the docks I have, I really don't pay attention to what else is out there. Good luck.

LrdAnkh likes this.
  14. LrdAnkh

Thank you i am not putting it down i am sure it is a fine piece of hardware, it is just that i am on a limited budget and after spending 300 on phone another 25 on extended battery, 12 on a case, i am at the end of my ropes so that's why i was looking at the option. I do appreciate everyone's comments on this thread though but I do have my answer finally with your response, thank you.

Motorola Droid Bionic Forum

The Motorola Droid Bionic release date was September 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4430 processor, and 1735mAh battery.

September 2011
Release Date
Reviews