• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car mount for the Nexus S 4G?

bamhm182

May 5, 2011
I bought a Nexus S 4G last night, and I must say, I LOVE this phone. I originally had a Blackberry Curve 8530 and have wanted to upgrade to an Android for a while. I finally had the chance to do it and I took it.

The only thing I've noticed that I've liked about my Blackberry so far is that it stayed put in a good position when I tossed it on my center console. The Nexus S slides down and becomes inconvenient to look at when I'm using the GPS. I'd like a dock that I could stick to the dashboard and hold the Nexus S so it's easy to see. I don't need it to do anything fancy like charge the phone(I have a USB cable and a USB cigarette charger) I just need it to hold the phone. I'd also prefer not to have to spend a WHOLE lot on it.

Also, what's the status on getting batteries? I'd like to pick up a spare one. I always used to carry around a blackberry battery in case my primary one died while I'm not able to charge it.

I ordered a Kensington K39256US today for $15 and $7 or so for shipping. It just showed the windshield mount in the picture, so hopefully it's got the dashboard mount too, but if it doesn't, I'm perfectly fine with the windshield mount as long as it stays put. I imagine it's just a suction cup. Would I be correct in that assumption?

EDIT: Actually, I was using Amazon's mobile website with my Nexus S earlier. Apparently it does include the dash mount and it is a suction cup. Quick question for the Nexus S users who have this dock. People were complaining that it doesn't grip the iPhone 4 well. How's it grip the Nexus S without a case? Anyone have a case? Does it still work well? I bought a thinish rubber case for the phone.

Upvote 0
I ordered a Kensington K39256US today for $15 and $7 or so for shipping. It just showed the windshield mount in the picture, so hopefully it's got the dashboard mount too, but if it doesn't, I'm perfectly fine with the windshield mount as long as it stays put. I imagine it's just a suction cup. Would I be correct in that assumption?

EDIT: Actually, I was using Amazon's mobile website with my Nexus S earlier. Apparently it does include the dash mount and it is a suction cup. Quick question for the Nexus S users who have this dock. People were complaining that it doesn't grip the iPhone 4 well. How's it grip the Nexus S without a case? Anyone have a case? Does it still work well? I bought a thinish rubber case for the phone.

here's a rebate too

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/14/40/63/32/1440633250._V178474681_.pdf

Upvote 0
I bought a Nexus S 4G last night, and I must say, I LOVE this phone. I originally had a Blackberry Curve 8530 and have wanted to upgrade to an Android for a while. I finally had the chance to do it and I took it.

The only thing I've noticed that I've liked about my Blackberry so far is that it stayed put in a good position when I tossed it on my center console. The Nexus S slides down and becomes inconvenient to look at when I'm using the GPS. I'd like a dock that I could stick to the dashboard and hold the Nexus S so it's easy to see. I don't need it to do anything fancy like charge the phone(I have a USB cable and a USB cigarette charger) I just need it to hold the phone. I'd also prefer not to have to spend a WHOLE lot on it.

Also, what's the status on getting batteries? I'd like to pick up a spare one. I always used to carry around a blackberry battery in case my primary one died while I'm not able to charge it.

Samsung OEM battery 1440 mAh $5 to $15 on the web. Part# AB653850CA

Here's a link from XDA... comparison of 1500 mAh vs 1440 mAh

1440 mAh OEM Samsung battery REVIEW - xda-developers

Upvote 0
When buying ultra-cheap name-brand batteries on the web, you need to be certain they are actually selling you a new battery and not a battery they've salvaged from a used phone. I did some shopping for a Nokia-branded battery for my "dumb" phone and numerous customer reviews clearly indicated that the batteries (which were in the neighborhood of $5) often had less usable capacity than the old batteries they were replacing. So the batteries were clearly not new.

Buyer beware. Fortunately, for $5 you aren't taking much of a risk. :)

Upvote 0
Just bought one of the $20 batteries from Radioshack, I'll let everyone know how it works for me when I get it. Now the next issue. An external charger. While I COULD just do what I did with the blackberry and charge 1 battery up, then charge the other, that was somewhat inconvenient. Considering how long it takes this Nexus S to fully charge, I don't see that as a REAL likely solution. What would be great is if I had an external charger that I could use to charge 1 battery while the other is inside my phone charging. Does anyone have a recommendation for an external charger that's good, and preferably cheap? Do you think I'm able to trust the ones off eBay? Amazon?

Upvote 0
Just bought one of the $20 batteries from Radioshack, I'll let everyone know how it works for me when I get it. Now the next issue. An external charger. While I COULD just do what I did with the blackberry and charge 1 battery up, then charge the other, that was somewhat inconvenient. Considering how long it takes this Nexus S to fully charge, I don't see that as a REAL likely solution. What would be great is if I had an external charger that I could use to charge 1 battery while the other is inside my phone charging. Does anyone have a recommendation for an external charger that's good, and preferably cheap? Do you think I'm able to trust the ones off eBay? Amazon?

I don't "recommend" this but it's the style I like and it's the only thing of this type I've found so far. Compact,fold out 110v prongs. The part I don't like is it looks like a regular usb port, would prefer micro usb.

Link

Upvote 0
I don't "recommend" this but it's the style I like and it's the only thing of this type I've found so far. Compact,fold out 110v prongs. The part I don't like is it looks like a regular usb port, would prefer micro usb.

Link

I think that's the same one I bought off the internet. I agree, I don't know why it would have a regular USB. Hopefully it comes with one. :/

Upvote 0
Sorry for the double post. I got the car dock today. It's perfect for what I need it for. It came with the vent and windshield mount. The windshield mount seemed really nice (high quality, non-distractive, etc.), but I don't live in the best neighborhood, so I'd hate to have my window bashed out by someone thinking I'm hiding something worth value in the car. The vent mount is a little less eye-catching and works well in the quick little test run I took.

I have a window right next to my bed, so I clipped the windshield mount to that. Works perfectly. Now I can watch Netflix or whatever else while laying down and not have to worry about holding my phone. Pretty sweet. ^_^ The only problem here is that I only have one of the removable clips. Since I'd prefer to not have to drag that around with me, I'd like to buy another clip and leave one in my room and 1 in the car. It seems like I'd be able to. Does anyone know where I'd be able to pick one up at?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones