• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car Mount

D

daffyduck

Okay, I have been bought as a prezzie, an Amzer car mount for my Nexus.....

Only trouble, is it uses suction cups to secure to either the windscreen or dashboard & I know how reliable they are at sticking (the old Garmin sat nav often drops off the windscreen due to its suction cup).

So, do I use or risk my wife's wrath by trying to return it?

And if it is no good, what car mount should I use - that is available to the UK market?

Already in the dog house :thinking:

curious if the n1 has magnet sensors like the droid, that kickstart it into carhome, or dock sensors that kickstart it into the media player?

as for a mount, if you don't like the regular suction cup dealies, short of an adhesive, look for the suction ones that you screw down to increase the suction power. my winter cars sirius unit is like that and the unit has NEVER fallen off of the windscreen.

Upvote 0
i dont like dashboard mounts for phones,mine attaches to the vent.

+1

No 'ring' on your windscreen either to tell theives you have satnav in your glove box :p
Vent mount is near perfect, I get the occaisional creeking noise with the TomTom mount if it's a bumpy ride.

I'd like to know what mounts are available though as I would like to get one. The new TomTom iPhone kit 'screws' onto the window with a suction cup and I honestly think you could remove your windscreen before it came away from the glass.

Upvote 0
I'm using the Soundgate M2 attached to a Seidio case. Works perfectly as the phone communicates with my car via A2DP and the only wire I have to run to phone is power (when needed). Some pics below.

40037161.jpg

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/3218/23289407.jpg
23289407.jpg

40505005.jpg

32148405.jpg

79489261.jpg

Upvote 0
Something to consider ... You may have minor issues on these vent mounts or "near" vent mounts with possible condensation inside of the phone with the cold AC air hitting the back of the phone. Typically water and electronics don't co-exist very well.

Looks like the bracket has 2 positions, up and down, so he can just put it in the up position when the a/c is on. Looks good but I'm not sure I'd want that attachment thingy permanently attatched to my case. Might be worth it though as I've got to take my case off to mount it. Just got the dock so we'll see if it gets old.

Upvote 0
It took me 10 minutes to realize that a "windscreen" is a "windshield"... and I'm still not 100% sure.

Windscreen, I sorta like that, but I'm almost positive no one here will know what the hell I am talking about if I ever used the term.

Well if you Americans spoke proper English, you would know LOL ;)

Sorry, did not think that the "....screen! bit might not make sense to everybody. They are the one & the same!

Had a look at my wife's prezzie last night - its OK, there is an adhesive patch to make the suction cup connection more secure. Don't particularly like having to "force" the phone into the holder though......

Will try it & see how it goes - probably reassess if & when the Google Dock ever comes out. No HTC/Google, generally, accessories and the main product are normally sold together :rolleyes:

Makes you wonder if Google pushed the Nexus out as early as possible for some reason, as all the accessories were clearly not ready at the same time?!?

Upvote 0
And if it is no good, what car mount should I use - that is available to the UK market?

I'm waiting on a Brodit mount for mine (via dsl developments) - it's a 2 part assembly. You buy the mount specific to your car (no screw holes etc) and the holder for your device.
Holder's come in passive or active - active have charging connector supplied.

I've been using Brodit for the past 4 / 5 years for a variety of devices, always from the same stockist, without any problems.

Upvote 0
The only things a screen lets through, is....light?

@shanomaq: is that a mount you made on your dash or is that already in your car? Seems a bit drastic for a single mount that you might want to replace with something totally different.

This is the mount I'm using:

Amazon.com: SoundGate M2 German engineered to safely secure your iPod, iPhone, Nano, Touch, Classic, Garmin, Cell Phone, Blackberry, Zune, MP3, or other portable device to your dash, or console: Electronics

Upvote 0
...and wind, last I checked. Otherwise those damn screens on the windows in my house are pretty redundant.

+1 LOL! I think both sides have a point, and it "shields" wind entirely, but I can see how it "screens" out the wind too. :p

I'm still waiting on the official Google Car Dock. I hope it's not too far away. I like that they added the battery to their store at least. I almost bought one from SEIDIO for $65 because it has a ~15% boost, but I'd much rather buy the original for $25 and feel safe knowing that its OEM. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones