1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Car Pannel = most infuriating process of all time

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mordrukk, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Mordrukk

Mordrukk Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Ever since the most recent OTA update which fixed the restarting issues, this processes has become unstable.

Previously, when I would place my TB into my car dock, it would trigger car pannel and I would exit the process without issue. Now when I exit the process, it starts itself back up randomly as I'm driving.

The problem this causes is really two-fold:

1) The car pannel process is not constant, it essentially alt+tabs between itself and any previous application every other second, making it difficult to catch and close.

2) During this glitch, audio output somehow dies and I have to reboot the phone to get it back. This is extremely anoying as I'm using my TB to play music while I'm driving, only to have it cut out by some rouge process.

Aside from rooting the phone to remove it (I am reading up on it, as these bloatware apps are obnoxious), has anyone else had similar problems or luck with a potential workaround?

Advertisement

2. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    I've had it happen once to me, when it kicked into car mode. I don't use a dock however, just a windshield mount and a car charger. In my case, I'm 97.5% sure that it was a charger issue, not the phone. The charger was a little loose at the time, and isn't a "genuine" VZW charger (not that I feel it would make a difference). I unplugged the charger, restarted the phone (the audio thing happened), plugged the cord back in, nothing since. That was once, in the months I've owned the phone, and in the first leg of a 2700 mile round trip to FL and back. I do agree though, even though it was only once, the whole having to restart the phone for that audio glitch sucked lol. I hate waiting for the boot up time.

As far as causes, or workarounds, I really don't have much to suggest. It's hard to troubleshoot what might cause it to kick into wacky mode. Does it do this only in the dock? Does it do it if you enter and exit Car Panel when not docked?

3. Mordrukk

Mordrukk Lurker
    None

Mar 24, 2011
    Actually by car dock, I meant the same windshield mount configuration you spoke of, though its the "official" VZ one for the Thunderbolt.

I think you're right, maybe some pins are loose in the connector. My annoyance came from the fact that there really is no way to disable the car pannel process if you're not rooted, and the glitch was driving me nuts!

I fixed that problem last night however - rooted the phone, removed all the bloatware, and drove to work listening to music without issue. Totally worth it!

4. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Male
    Computer Programmer
    See, on mine, it's not an official mount, just a standard universal mount, that I have turned sideways and with room to plug the car cord into. So since it never sees anything to turn on the Car Panel, it never kicks on, unless I were to activate it manually (never needed to really...I don't use it).

Glad to hear ya took care of it tho! I'm still too chicken to bother rooting (that and I have been ok so far stock...)

5. brennan77

brennan77 Newbie
    None

Jul 11, 2011
    I'm having a similar issue. My regular Verizon branded car charger randomly activated car mode. It switches in and out so it's difficult to catch and disable. And even when I do close it, it'll just restart itself. Luckily I don't often need to charge in the car.