• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Car salesmen - pricing themselves out of their own market

Well don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone who trades their car in is an idiot. All I'm saying is...
You're right that you're more likely to get more money by selling it yourself. And that's fine if you like to do the clean-up and fix-up work to make the car salable at the best price, are willing to take the calls, have time to show the car...so on and so forth. But people get to a certain age and level of responsibility that DIY auto sales is more a bother than a savings.

The last car I sold, I put $200 into it to make it roadworthy (it had been in a wreck) and sold it for $500 the same day, collision damage and all. I didn't even bother to take the aftermarket LED turn signal lamps out, which worked out fine since what replaced it took a different type bulb. I was happy to be rid of it.

Upvote 0
Luckly back in 2005 I bought my showroom floor pontiac g6 gt for 18k. I told the salesman before I bought it that I would be checking online and other dealerships..He told me "I promise that you will not find it for cheaper"...sure enough I did a 300mi radius search and the next cheapest one was 23k.

My local dealership has been in business for 60 years.

Upvote 0
I just want everyone to know that I am a car salesman, and I do work for a Ford dealership. There are a lot of dishonest dealerships and salesmen out there. BUT, THERE ARE HONEST ONES ALSO!!! The auto industry has screwed itself.

When I bought my Opel GT, I found a good salesman. He quoted the price but his boss was a horses rear end. Sale was progressing quickly and I had a stack of cash and salesmen seem to really love cash sales.

The salesman was trying to help and his boss thought an eager buyer likely means more cash so he tried to raise the price. We had a bill of sale ready for a signature and the aforementioned pile of cash. The boss then thought he could add a grand to the price and the fool customer (me, Bob) would go for it.

I started to walk because I was an eggier buyer with another GTs to consider. The salesman's boss went to lunch so the salesman completed the sale for the agreed on price and off I drove. I like the GT because to the casual observer, it looks like small a Corvette.

I once almost bought an early Sportster from a "respected" dealer. I also asked about a vintage Harley-Davidson WLA. The clueless owner told me only about 150 of them were built so the price would be high. He told me I could have it for $60,000.00 and it was professionally restored. To avoid another long story, I'll simply tell you the professional restoration person was stupid and blind because there were vast numbers of things wrong with the bike. Starting with a big price that was so far off the mark as to be just silly.

Only a fool would pay that much for that bike and it told me to avoid the Sportster as well. Too bad because it was a sweet year; the second in fact, but it was wrong and being sold as original.

When you find a good dealer, recommend him or her to others. We need as many as we can get.

Upvote 0
Luckly back in 2005 I bought my showroom floor pontiac g6 gt for 18k. I told the salesman before I bought it that I would be checking online and other dealerships..He told me "I promise that you will not find it for cheaper"...sure enough I did a 300mi radius search and the next cheapest one was 23k.

My local dealership has been in business for 60 years.

We have a long time dealer here in Utah and the founder, Mr. Larry Miller (now passed on) was a by God genuine car guy. A real collector that loved vintage cars. He also owned the Utah Jazz and the Miller Motosports Park. He was always fair and his handshake was better than any written contract.

Larry Miller Collection

A tribute to Shelby: Larry H. Miller Auto Museum

These days, you better make sure you know the dealer better than he knows himself. I never buy if the salesman does not like cars. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones