1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Car stereo has USB for iPod and I want to use it with my Ascend

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FulciLives, Jan 8, 2012.

1. FulciLives

FulciLives Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    OK this can be confusing so please read it all before posting and I promise to make it as simple as I can.

1.) I have the original Ascend from cricKet
    2.) I installed Icarus 1.1
    3.) After installing Icarus 1.1 I was able to use the USB jack on my car to play back music via the car stereo. Please note the jack is designed for Apple iPod devices but it worked.
    4.) After a long long long time I flashed my phone from Icarus 1.1 to CM 7.2
    5.) After doing this I can't get the car stereo to work with my Ascend
    6.) As an aside I have another (recent) Android phone (running Gingerbread 2.3.5 version) and it also will not work with my car stereo.

Got all that?

So I'd like to get it to work with my Ascend running 7.2 as well as my other Android phone (a Samsung Exhibit II 4G) but if I can't then I guess I'll just go back to Icarus 1.1 on the Ascend and use that but I find it odd that it worked with Icarus 1.1 but not CM 7.2 or my other phone (which is a Samsung and is using the official stock ROM although it is rooted).

So ... any ideas?

Advertisement

2. lriv

lriv Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Hempville, USA
    I had the same issue... but I did get it to work... it is a trial and error type thing... I have a kenwood car stereo with usb, and stock metro 2.1 it would work fine... but after going to CM7 I had issues... What I do to get it to work for me is to turn on the stereo, and then plug in my ascend, and then drop the status bar down so you can press the "select to copy files to/from computer" (mount) BUT DO NOT press it. Turn your stereo off by the power switch, not the ignition, and when it is off THEN press the button and let it "mount" once mounted, turn the stereo back on, and goto the "USB" option, and it should load and and read your ascend and play music... This works for me :)

3. FulciLives

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Thanks for the comments. I swear I tried that method and it didn't work but I tried a lot of stuff so maybe I didn't do what you said exactly. So I'll try it again specifically as you stated it.

I'll report back when I've had the chance to try again.

4. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    it may or moay be because the stock rom had the driver files in an iso on the phone and the modded ROM and CM7 do not to increase storage/memory space.

5. FulciLives

None

Jan 24, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    What "driver files" and is there some sort of "usb driver" that needs to be installed on the phone?

6. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    not quite sure whats its needing, I just know the iso get removed in alot of modded roms and rarely included with CM*

My car stereo doesnt have a usb port so its hard for me to test out.

7. lriv

lriv Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 5, 2011
    Hempville, USA
    you may have to play around with the "order" of the steps... trial and error... but it does work... It was very frustrating till I got it figured out... now I'm happy!! :)