• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carbon Fiber 4G Back

That's a great idea, and just use an Invisible Shield or something to cut the shape of it. Smartt.

You don't even need to do that.

Watch this how-to video. It shows them doing an install on a light switch plate. Doing the back of a cell phone will be very similar, but just require extra trimming on the edges.

YouTube - Guide for installing 3M carbon fiber DI-NOC on a lightswitch plate from CarbonFiberFilm.com

Seriously, this isn't rocket-science. You can do it yourself with an razor blade and hair dryer.

Upvote 0
You don't even need to do that.

Watch this how-to video. It shows them doing an install on a light switch plate. Doing the back of a cell phone will be very similar, but just require extra trimming on the edges.

YouTube - Guide for installing 3M carbon fiber DI-NOC on a lightswitch plate from CarbonFiberFilm.com

Seriously, this isn't rocket-science. You can do it yourself with an razor blade and hair dryer.

I might wait a little 'bit, but for those of you that want to try it right away, it's only $8 (free shipping) to have a 4X8 sample sent to you. That's a perfect size for the battery cover. I may wait a little, just to get an "extra" battery cover to experiment on.

Upvote 0
I want this finish on mine...

whitecffinish.jpg

Upvote 0
Well I just ordered 2 sample sheets, one graphite and one black. I'll tackle this project later this week, depending on when everything shows up. Will try and document it step by step, but seriously, watch the lightplate demo... it's seriously stupid easy!

Oh, yeah. I've done vinyl cf wrapping before on car stuff. I just want an extra cover, in case something goes wrong with the phone and I need to have it replaced.

Upvote 0
Good luck. I called HTC about getting one, and it doesn't look like they sell them. We'll have to wait for an aftermarket one (if one ever comes at all).

After a month or two, Sprint will possibly have backups. I've gone to the Sprint store and gotten backup covers in the past because the clips broke off or something to that extent. Got 7 different ones for my mogul. 3 different ones for my Touch Pro.

Upvote 0
After a month or two, Sprint will possibly have backups. I've gone to the Sprint store and gotten backup covers in the past because the clips broke off or something to that extent. Got 7 different ones for my mogul. 3 different ones for my Touch Pro.

Nice. Good news. I was worried after a couple people posted that they thought the covers were pretty thin...

Upvote 0
Well I just ordered 2 sample sheets, one graphite and one black. I'll tackle this project later this week, depending on when everything shows up. Will try and document it step by step, but seriously, watch the lightplate demo... it's seriously stupid easy!

Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Seems like the speaker holes may present a bit of a challenge.

Upvote 0
Looking forward to seeing how it comes out. Seems like the speaker holes may present a bit of a challenge.

Shouldn't be. On the light switch video, you can see that they have to poke through the vinyl for the screw holes. Shouldn't be too difficult to do with the speaker holes. Worst case, you can always cut a circle out for the speaker.

Upvote 0
I love the cf look and that light switch demo looks relatively simple. A major thing to consider, however, is that they were able to wrap the excess film around the edges. Then, the simple act of mounting the plate effectively prevents the film from lifting. On our EVOs, I suspect we son't be able to wrap the film like that. The cut edge will be exposed and may, over time, lift and accumulate dust and lint. I could be wrong, but I don't see it staying attached and clean-looking for very long. The simple act of handling the phone and slipping it in and out of your pocket (if you're a pocket guy like me, that is) will be the ultimate test.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up trying this myself with some vinyl scraps I have laying around, but I won't buy any cf stock until I have a better idea of how well it holds up. BTW, most sign shops will gladly give you scraps if you want to do the same. That's how I got my stash. :)

Just my thoughts.....

Upvote 0
I love the cf look and that light switch demo looks relatively simple. A major thing to consider, however, is that they were able to wrap the excess film around the edges. Then, the simple act of mounting the plate effectively prevents the film from lifting. On our EVOs, I suspect we son't be able to wrap the film like that. The cut edge will be exposed and may, over time, lift and accumulate dust and lint. I could be wrong, but I don't see it staying attached and clean-looking for very long. The simple act of handling the phone and slipping it in and out of your pocket (if you're a pocket guy like me, that is) will be the ultimate test.

Don't get me wrong, I'll probably end up trying this myself with some vinyl scraps I have laying around, but I won't buy any cf stock until I have a better idea of how well it holds up. BTW, most sign shops will gladly give you scraps if you want to do the same. That's how I got my stash. :)

Just my thoughts.....

Yup, and I wholy agree that that is a legitimate concern.

Remember that the guy who originally did it on his Pre, also had to trim like we will. As far as I know, he has not had any issues, so I don't see why we necessarily will.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones