• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Carbon ROM

This is the first custom ROM I flashed on my ZMAX. It is very stable, I haven't had any issues yet and have been using it as a daily driver.
The switcher zips are perfect too.
Thanks everyone.

Also, I haven't seen anyone else mention this. But, the scrolling is so much smoother on Carbon than it was for me on stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: Radix Libertatem
Upvote 0
you need to flash GAPPS after you flash ROM

https://github.com/cgapps/vendor_google/raw/builds/arm/gapps-5.1-2015-06-02-15-19.zip

reboot recovery.....go to mounts and mount system.....

then if you want full R/W...you need to flash CARBON ROM SWITCHER

http://androidforums.com/threads/all-roms-flashable-zips-for-system-r-w-updated-6-28-15.919330/

then wipe dalvik........ reboot system...and you'll endup back in recovery...that's means the switcher worked...
reboot recovery.....and apps will update ..ROM will load ...i forget if you have to sign before or after you completly load the OS ....

if you are going to flash another ROM ...you need to flash the RESTORE zip...ONLY IF YOU FLASHED THE SWITCHER...
on and on and on and on and on and if you like ketchup put some on your fries

MASTERCHIE87 breaks it down probably ALOT better than i do...i just saw your post first .... :)

Upvote 0
At 14% battery I started getting persistent system ui crashes..
I'm running carbon 12.1 with no mods..
Except a mix of themes I've deemed safe and non crashy.....
The Rebel Droid cm12.1 theme crashes the dialer... Had to go through contracts to call folks....
So I mixed up a bunch to get close to the rebel droid style.....badly..
Me too. Switched to candy and everything works fine. It was really weird though

Upvote 0
you need to flash GAPPS after you flash ROM

https://github.com/cgapps/vendor_google/raw/builds/arm/gapps-5.1-2015-06-02-15-19.zip

reboot recovery.....go to mounts and mount system.....

then if you want full R/W...you need to flash CARBON ROM SWITCHER

http://androidforums.com/threads/all-roms-flashable-zips-for-system-r-w-updated-6-28-15.919330/

then wipe dalvik........ reboot system...and you'll endup back in recovery...that's means the switcher worked...
reboot recovery.....and apps will update ..ROM will load ...i forget if you have to sign before or after you completly load the OS ....

if you are going to flash another ROM ...you need to flash the RESTORE zip...ONLY IF YOU FLASHED THE SWITCHER...
on and on and on and on and on and if you like ketchup put some on your fries

MASTERCHIE87 breaks it down probably ALOT better than i do...i just saw your post first .... :)

i had figured it out. thanks though

Upvote 0
Well... Since I've used CARBON as a daily driver... .
I've only ran into one issue.... The screen became unresponsive a few times today....
Once to the point is having to reboot with the power button...
Not really an issue....
If it becomes an issue I am sure I can fix it.....
I don't have any mods ... Like entropy or CPU wise....
May be the heat... Not sure....
CARBON's been great... I just wish it had a lot of the CM11 version features...
Like wallpapers and stuff for carbonwise personalization .....
Makes me wonder ...how "minimal" will Android M be....
All themes went flat and monoterrific while phones got faster and "HD" .. With better and faster graphics....
Flat.....
But, I can't theme or dev... So.. That's that..

Reactions: Epico
Upvote 0
Well... Since I've used CARBON as a daily driver... .
I've only ran into one issue.... The screen became unresponsive a few times today....
Once to the point is having to reboot with the power button...
Not really an issue....
If it becomes an issue I am sure I can fix it.....
I don't have any mods ... Like entropy or CPU wise....
May be the heat... Not sure....
CARBON's been great... I just wish it had a lot of the CM11 version features...
Like wallpapers and stuff for carbonwise personalization .....
Makes me wonder ...how "minimal" will Android M be....
All themes went flat and monoterrific while phones got faster and "HD" .. With better and faster graphics....
Flat.....
But, I can't theme or dev... So.. That's that..
You want the carbon rom wallpapers app? I can get you aokp swag papers too if you like.

Upvote 0
You want the carbon rom wallpapers app? I can get you aokp swag papers too if you like.
Yea that would be cool. I'd like em too. Even though im on candy. Just found out you may need to sign them so then can install. Use the app on your phone zipsigner. I had the issue on the twrp upgrade I made for you guys. I think I'll have to cancel it sadly :(

Upvote 0
Yea that would be cool. I'd like em too. Even though im on candy. Just found out you may need to sign them so then can install. Use the app on your phone zipsigner. I had the issue on the twrp upgrade I made for you guys. I think I'll have to cancel it sadly :(
Here you go. I extracted these from carbon and aokp 4.4.4kitkat roms for the Nexus7 2013 wifi (flo). They are already signed by the rom developers and can be installed as normal user apps. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fjbawr2lyyee25e/AADdmDitaNq_hV4mCqR8wqcKa?dl=0

Last edited:
Upvote 0
THANKS!!! :):):)
I love them.
I installed them... But, launcher lab doesn't have a wallpaper section so I switched to trebuchet to install a cool AOKP wallpaper.. Then back to launcher lab...
Yesterday.. Once again at 14% & 13% CARBON started system UI crashes....
What I'm guessing is...
When it's supposed to warn me the battery is that low it crashes trying to tell me it's low.. But, instead of saying
"Hey dude... Charge yo shizzle mang!'
It gets special and freaks out...
I was thinking it was the theme again not having prompts themed right...
But, the same error happened to Ethan...
That more than likely can't have themed his Fabulous ZMAX the same dang way....
Because if you think like me.... I'm sorry... Lol

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones