1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Career progression

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Deleted User, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

People seem generally obsessed with climbing the corporate ladder, and getting into higher paid jobs. What's the point? More stress, reduced time for personal life, less contact with family, decreased chances of finding other jobs at the same level.
    And middle manager/team leader roles seem to get all the pressure, and blame when things go wrong.
    No, for me, being a grunt developer suits me fine. I have no responsibility for other people, time at lunch to go running, and can leave the office on time, not chained to my desk until after 6pm. And very few, if any deadlines. I'm living the dream man! :)
    Yeah I'm never going to get rich, but there's more to life than trying to accumulate vast pots of money, isn't there?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

It's for money.
    More money=More Leisure=More productivity in my experience.

Let's see... I'm over a half century old. I went through the More Money phase, got to upper middle class. Then after being laid off went to LMC... Wait; That's not what this thread about...

Up is better than down. Your Career needs to escalate.

#2 dontpanicbobby, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
    Member243850 and Phalon4 like this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

More Money = More Leisure?
    I don't know about that. We have some highly paid support people, and they get sent all around the world, away from home for extended periods, and work hard when they get to their destination, in sometimes difficult conditions. And they're not exactly spending their time around the swimming pool. Is the extra money worth that hassle?
    If you're in a highly paid job, yes you're building up large amounts of cash. But when can you truly enjoy that? When you get older your health starts to fail. I think even Steve Jobs regretted his life being obsessed with working and building up wealth, towards the end of his life.

Member243850 and Phalon4 like this.