• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Careers

pbf98

Android Expert
Oct 16, 2011
MN
For those of you in a career now, if you could go back as far back as you needed to choose another career path, what would you choose?

Recently I have gotten caught up in the whole international space station. It started with Chris Hadfield and watching all of his videos when he posted them, now I am just constantly learning more about it. When he was 9 years old, he decided he was going to be an astronaut. He did't know how but he was going to do everything he could be to become one.

I feel if I were a 9 year old version of myself watching all his videos from space I would do the same. I missed out on a big inspiration like that, so I chose something to do with my interest in computers instead and became a computer programmer.

If I could turn back the time just even a few years to when I was in high school I would have tried harder so I could go on to higher education to obtain a degree that is accepted by NASA to enter their Astronaut candidate program.

True I could always go towards that path now, but if I look at the reality of things it would be a hard path to start now. Right now I have a job that pays my bills, to obtain a degree in one of the proper fields I would have to drop this job and find a university that would accept me. Then from there hope that I could be financially stable while in an area of study that would be new territory for me. All while also working on my physical condition.

I'm sure its just a phase I'm going through, but that would be my dream job. Being an astronaut up on the ISS for 6 months, working on experiments expanding the human knowledge, and working in 0 gravity.

So what would you do if you could? And those of you working towards your career, what have you chosen?

It can actually be a really bad train of thought if you think back to what you could have done with your life i think.. i suppose thats why adults get so frustrated with kids.
The way i see it.. i dont try and think about what could have been because things could maybe have turned out worse :beer:
Im just glad there are these pioneers who have taken these amazing steps for our species and people who have developed the technology to let us watch it :)

Upvote 0
For those of you in a career

Career? Wazzat?

I have a job .. ;)

now, if you could go back as far back as you needed to choose another career path, what would you choose?

I'm with funkylogik: regrets are unhealthy.

Being an astronaut up on the ISS for 6 months, working on experiments expanding the human knowledge, and working in 0 gravity

Six months stuck in a tiny tin can that (apparently) stinks so badly of halitosis, farts and body odour that the first thing astronauts do when a supply ship arrives is rush in to the supply ship for a breath of fresh(er) air; with a bunch of people you probably don't like but are unable to escape, with no privacy, no shower, no proper bathroom ..?

My current life is looking better and better :D

Upvote 0
Considering all the choices I've made over the years without those I wouldn't be the person I am today. Like everyone else I have regrets.

Sure enlisting in the infantry wasn't the brightest idea but I know for a fact that some men may not be alive today. In the past year I know I saved one man's life that cut an artery in his leg. I wouldn't have known that without my military experience.

Even by working my way through college I gained on the job training. So when that truck driver gives me a lousy excuse thinking I'm just another engineer that doesn't know any better I can pull out my license and medical card and say, "Try something better."

It's all in how you view things. I had no idea what failure was really like until I failed out of college twice (that's only because I was going for silly liberal arts degrees). I wish I had something better to say but I love the life I have.

Upvote 0
For me its not really a regret, I just lacked the inspiration that could have changed the outcome of where I am today.

I just find it all fascinating, and it all started with Chris Hadfield. Zero gravity would be something I would like to experience, and not just on the "vomit commit". The view out of the windows that only they have gotten to see, pictures are worth a 1000 words but being seeing it for yourself is so much more.

My dream job may not be for everyone but it certainty would be for me.

Upvote 0
For those of you in a career now, if you could go back as far back as you needed to choose another career path, what would you choose?

Recently I have gotten caught up in the whole international space station. It started with Chris Hadfield and watching all of his videos when he posted them, now I am just constantly learning more about it. When he was 9 years old, he decided he was going to be an astronaut. He did't know how but he was going to do everything he could be to become one.

I feel if I were a 9 year old version of myself watching all his videos from space I would do the same. I missed out on a big inspiration like that, so I chose something to do with my interest in computers instead and became a computer programmer.

If I could turn back the time just even a few years to when I was in high school I would have tried harder so I could go on to higher education to obtain a degree that is accepted by NASA to enter their Astronaut candidate program.

True I could always go towards that path now, but if I look at the reality of things it would be a hard path to start now. Right now I have a job that pays my bills, to obtain a degree in one of the proper fields I would have to drop this job and find a university that would accept me. Then from there hope that I could be financially stable while in an area of study that would be new territory for me. All while also working on my physical condition.

I'm sure its just a phase I'm going through, but that would be my dream job. Being an astronaut up on the ISS for 6 months, working on experiments expanding the human knowledge, and working in 0 gravity.

So what would you do if you could? And those of you working towards your career, what have you chosen?

you do not have to give up that dream and in actuality it may not be as daunting as you think! I happen to have a friend who gave me almost the exact same speech as you just did years ago. He didn't get all A's in High school, in fact far from it! He was not Mr. straight laced and focused etc..In fact, he was a musician, a risk taker, a partier and loved to work on cars..(a good kisser too):rolleyes: but that's another long story... anywho..he went to community college and worked at a car repair shop to pay for it..and he worked and got his grades up..I had a BF who was attending Purdue and one day I just grabbed him..said get in the car..we are road tripping to Purdue and you are coming with me...(crazy wild weekend) but again...that's another story...:eek:
to make a long story short...we went into the aerodynamics library hall and saw all the portraits of the astronauts who attended Purdue hanging on the wall...He was in awe...we marched straight over to admissions..made an appointment to speak with a someone, ended up staying an extra day to do it..but guess what? he started Purdue that next fall, eventually became an Astronaut..he was the head mechanic on the space shuttle..went up a few times..last time was the second to last launch of the discovery...:D he has played guitar.. made a burrito .. and gave me a shout out from space!:) because that one crazy day I told him..
If you want it..don't let anything or anyone stop you! so get in and Lets GO!!...and he did...:)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones