1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Careful where you walk

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Charlie81, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Quintessence

Quintessence Android Enthusiast

Well phones are more drop resistant. The metal absorbs most of the shock. All it takes is a bump in the right spot to break a solder or crush an important part of the cpu.

Advertisement

2. vr4

vr4 Well-Known Member

Good luck. Ive dropped mine a couple times with no issues. Vzw silicone case.

3. binary visions

binary visions Android Expert

Yep, this isn't really an issue that should mark the phone as "fragile" or "prone to breaking."

Just one of those freak things - any piece of electronics is going to have certain spots where you can hit it just right and brick the device. Sucks that it happened, but there are an appalling number of chips and circuits packed into this tiny little device. There are going to be some places where they can't hide sensitive spots under layer upon layer of protection.

Best they can do is what they did - make sure the corners/edges are well protected, since it's most likely to fall on one, try to protect a flat drop onto the back as best they can (the hump on the camera makes this easier for them), and let the consumers take care of their expensive electronics.

4. LexusBrian400

LexusBrian400 Android Enthusiast

I put my X in a soft cooler in the small pocket, strap it to the front of my ATV and record my tracks using My Tracks via GPS. I ride hard, almost every weekend.

The phone never misses a beat. No case, No screen protector.

5. LaZeR

LaZeR Android Enthusiast

Lol! Funny story there. :D

6. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Android Expert

Yup. Willing to bet the battery is dead.
    ******PLUGGING IT IN WILL NOT MAKE IT COME UP IMMEDIATELY EITHER*******

It has to charge up a bit before it will turn back on.

7. McGarrett

McGarrett Lurker

Sorry this happened to you, and I suspect a quick visit to Verizon will resolve it.

It's this conclusion I disagree with, at least in my experience. I have dropped my X twice, once onto concrete and once onto a wood floor. Other than a small scratch on the back, no issues.

8. TonyXL

TonyXL Newbie

A week after getting my DX I had it in the pocket of my swim trunks and waded into the ocean for a few minutes before I realized. Dashed out, phone was fine. Whew.

9. herbivore

herbivore Member

I'll never understand how you could be walking down the street with the DX in your pocket. Did you have to carry groceries or something?

10. vr4

vr4 Well-Known Member

sure the hell beats walking down the street playing with the phone and stepping out infront of a bus.

11. r4a2l0

r4a2l0 Lurker

It seems that you have just got the bad pick out of the litter.. Sometimes sadly a phone will just be "defective" or more sensitive. In my expereince after the 3rd day of owning my phone I had it on my lap while driving and forgot got out of my VAN and it hit the cement. Then same exact thing happened about 2 weeks later! Luckily I was smart enough to buy a case and screen protector the second I bought my phone so it took most of the impact and most of the damage... So I don't think they are "delicate as crap" they make phones knowing that they are going to be dropped more then once or twice, they are made to be durable to a certain point. Sorry for your luck though.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews