• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carriage return verse post

Dave784

Aug 5, 2021
Hi

Question on my galaxy tab A7 I was watching a video last night on patreon then went to post a comment and found an interesting issue.

The comments get posted when you hit enter. I know on my laptop to avoid that I hold shift then Enter to get carriage returns or a new line rather then post.

On a tablet is there a similar method where I can get a new line(s) rather then post on sites that have these sorts of comments where enter is same as hitting submit?

Thanks
Dave

Hi

Question on my galaxy tab A7 I was watching a video last night on patreon then went to post a comment and found an interesting issue.

The comments get posted when you hit enter. I know on my laptop to avoid that I hold shift then Enter to get carriage returns or a new line rather then post.

On a tablet is there a similar method where I can get a new line(s) rather then post on sites that have these sorts of comments where enter is same as hitting submit?

Thanks
Dave

Is it only with Patreon, or is this issue happening with other apps as well. Also what keyboard app are you using?

I don't use Patreon, and I've not seen this issue for myself in other apps, I'm using Swiftkey on various devices, and pressing Enter on that gives a new line, as I'd expect.

Upvote 0
Is it only with Patreon, or is this issue happening with other apps as well. Also what keyboard app are you using?

I don't use Patreon, and I've not seen this issue for myself in other apps, I'm using Swiftkey on various devices, and pressing Enter on that gives a new line, as I'd expect.

Using GBOARD as we have multiple keyboard languages installed and thats the one my wifes use to so I have it on my tablet as well in case she needs to use my tablet at any time to respond to an email.

As for when this is happening this would be anywhere I need a carriage return. It's basically on comment boxes like on Facebook or Patreon that do this if I was say writing an email the carriage return or new line works fine. It's mainly the comments where enter is the normal method to post the message.

Like I was saying if I am on my laptop and I am making a comment on a post be it Patreon or Facebook or what have you if I hit enter the comment posts. BUT if I hold SHIFT then hit ENTER I get a carriage return meaning the cursor goes down a line.

On the other hand if I am on the tablet I have no idea what the key strokes are for getting a carriage return rather then posting. So am trying to find out what the tablet version of SHIFT & ENTER would be in order to move the cursor down to the next line rather then post.

Basically on comments boxes that use enter to post how do I create a new paragraph rather then post is basically what I am trying to do.

Upvote 0
I sometimes use Gboard as well as Swiftkey, and in the YouTube app etc, when entering text, e.g. for YT comments, For me pressing Carriage Return always gives me a new line, like for starting a new paragraph, and it's always been the same on various Android devices I've had. My YT comments won't post until I tap the blue arrow in the YT app. And is same with any app or browser for me.

So I don't really know what's gone wrong at your end, as to why tapping Carriage Return is apparently not working as it should. Somebody else may know?

Upvote 0
I sometimes use Gboard as well as Swiftkey, and in the YouTube app etc, when entering text, e.g. for YT comments, For me pressing Carriage Return always gives me a new line, like for starting a new paragraph, and it's always been the same on various Android devices I've had. My YT comments won't post until I tap the blue arrow in the YT app. And is same with any app or browser for me.

So I don't really know what's gone wrong at your end, as to why tapping Carriage Return is apparently not working as it should. Somebody else may know?
Yeah see for both Facebook and Patreon there is no button to bust to post the comment it's just a text box and when you hit enter it posts the post. But on laptop holding down Shift when I hit Enter will over ride the posting and put the cursor to the next line.

In fact I just found this video this is exactly what I want to do on the tablet but I tried this and it does not work unlike when I use it on my lapto.

Patron is just like this also facebook comments same thing no post button so enter is for posting what you typed unless you use Shift Enter to get new link. But how to do this on tablet???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones