1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General Carrier Identification......I think

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by KFlannigan5, Jul 15, 2013.

1. KFlannigan5

KFlannigan5 Newbie

I have an Optimus Elite that I use without service, in Airplane Mode and only via WiFi.
    In my Notification bar it says "Airplane" or "No Service" depending on the ROM. I was wondering if there was a way to somehow show the WiFi network I am connected to instead of Carrier Data?

Advertisement

2. I don't know about it displaying the wifi connection but there is a way to change what it says in the notification bar. It was mentioned somewhere in the slepnir thread at some point maybe try asking airtine? Hope I helped!

KFlannigan5 likes this.
  3. cfreeman90

cfreeman90 Well-Known Member

I used "Build Prop Editor" to have mine display my name as the carrier!!

4. cfreeman90

cfreeman90 Well-Known Member

Build Prop Eitor app..scroll to "RO cmda" & change what it displays and save/re-boot

KFlannigan5 likes this.
  5. hokiescoot

hokiescoot Member

Thanks! That worked great. I had tried a view carrier change apps and none worked. I have edited my build prop for 3g enhancement before and followed your advice to change the carrier = success!

Now I have successfully debranded my VM phone. No more VM boot animation and changed carrier to Sprint. lol. I also put a small carbon fiber sticker over the boost logo on my elite. The reason I did this was people making fun that I had a Virgin Mobile phone. Now they can't tell. :)

6. KFlannigan5

KFlannigan5 Newbie

While that w9rks to change the carrier name....what I'd like is to have it show my current WiFi connection instead of my current carrier....like redirect it to show wifi instead of carrier.....anyone know how to do that?

7. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert

The carrier name is static and coded in the framework (eri.xml I believe) what you're wanting to do is have your current Wi-Fi connection show up as a notification? Meaning you want it to show whatever connection your currently on?

8. Artine

Artine Android Expert

The carrier's name, as it is displayed in About Phone in System Settings, and on the Notifications panel, can be altered in build.prop. For example, for a time in Sleipnir's earlier RCs in place of the carrier it would say "Sleipnir." Changing what carrier network you are on is a different, and a legal gray area, story. However, concerning the current wifi network, and whether or not that may be displayed in place of your carrier name - basically anything in Android is possible.

If you're not having any luck with us here on Phandroid, try XDA-Developers or a Google search to see if its been done before. If it has, most likely it's done through an init.d script, which Sleipnir has kernel-level support for if you're running it. Not sure of other ROMs off of the top of my head (it's 2:34am, can't sleep), but init.d was something I finally finished kernel-level support for with regard to Sleipnir.