1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips CarrierIQ and the Photon

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Citizen Coyote, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    Austin, TX
    By now I'm sure you've heard of CarrierIQ, the spyware/keylogger that comes preinstalled on many smartphones (mainly Android phones, but also some Blackberries and there is evidence it's on the iPhone as well). If you're concerned about this, I've found some good news. According to ShabbyPenguin (who posts here as well on occasion), our beloved Photon is free of CarrierIQ. While he's not sure of the reason why, he believes it might be because the Photon is a world phone and thus such software could run afoul of other carriers' policies.

If you want more information on what CarrierIQ is and what it does, check out this lengthy YouTube video by the guy who figured it out.

Advertisement

as4k, simcha, KOLIO and 3 others like this.
  2. jpark

jpark Member
    None

Nov 5, 2011
    Thanks for the information Citizen Coyote. I was unable to locate Carrier IQ on the photon. Perhaps because Motorola has worked hard to enhance the security of the photon?

3. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    I was just reading about that the other day, so I'm glad you started this thread. That's awesome news, if that's indeed 100% true. CarrierIQ is something that, if it's not on the MoPho, I'll probably stick with this phone for longer than the 1 year rate that I've been keeping my phones. That is, of course, unless the MoPho II doesn't have it and it completely outshines the current MoPho.

4. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Just a quick update out of fairness: RIM claims they don't use CarrierIQ, and it seems the iPhone version is off by default although it can be turned on. Oh, and as phandroid.com and others note, Sprint admits to using it and Senator Franken says CarrierIQ has some 'splainin' to do.

KOLIO likes this.
  5. CTB6

CTB6 Member
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    I just purchased a Photon before seeing this thread. I hope this is indeed true, as I'm very alarmed at CarrierIQ's potential, esp since I've had a Samsung phone for a year. I actually came in here looking for rooting info and saw this thread. Thanks for posting this. I look forward to the arrival of my Photon. :)

6. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    The MoPho is a fantastic phone. Although it's been met with harsh criticism for certain things, most of the early bugs have been resolved and I give it a ringing endorsement. I used to have an EVO, which I loved, but I love this phone even more.

7. blindman13

blindman13 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    This phone rules my world...and will for a long time :)

cymryk likes this.
  8. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    There's another app in the MARKET to detect CARRIER IQ,which does not require root:

VOODOO SIMPLE CARRIER IQ DETECTOR.
    May want to pass this info on to those who aren't as fortunate as us here & do not have the PHOTON.
    I still D/L it,just to confirm/test the app to see if it indicated that our phone has CARRIER IQ,which isn't installed on our phone.

EDIT:

LOOKOUT has now published their own CARRIER IQ detection app,available in the MARKET.

Citizen Coyote and drexappeal like this.
  9. Go Blue

Go Blue Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    I just ran the Lookout Carrier IQ Detector on my Photon and it reported that it was NOT found. (My EVO on the other hand does have it)

jshakey likes this.
  10. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor
    None

Oct 4, 2009
    Male
    Database Programmer, Sprint Advocate
    Queens, NY
    I ran a few tests/apps and all came back saying no Carrier IQ on the Photon.

TS

11. simcha

simcha Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 3, 2010
    Male
    Employed
    Oakland, CA
    Yes! Yet another amazing reason to own a MoPho! This phone just keep getting better and better.

12. hxadecmel

hxadecmel Lurker
    None

Dec 13, 2010
    FYI anyone on US Cellular the Electrify (Photon equivalent) tested neg for Carrier IQ. I used lookout, Voodoo, and another on called Carrier IQ spy. Incidentally Voodoo and Carrier IQ spy both picked up Lookout as a rootkit. :)

13. iLLa SkriLLa

iLLa SkriLLa Lurker
    None

Dec 5, 2011
    Tampa, FL
    haha, i started this post the other day on xda.

jshakey likes this.