1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Carrying in pocket - eek!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thaKing, Mar 29, 2019.

1. thaKing

thaKing Android Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2012
    Lex Vegas
    I always carry my phones in my front pocket, but this seems to be causing issues with the S10+. I'll retrieve my phone from my pocket and I'll see my phone is attempting to be unlocked. It'll be on the pin screen, or I'll see a screen like the attachment, where it is not on the always on display and not on the unlock screen, but rather some clock screen that has some transparency to my wallpaper. Other times I'll notice notifications are gone and when I unlock my phone I'll see an open email (which was originally a notification on the AOD) or an app is open that wasn't open before, like the weather.

I want to be able to carry my phone in my pocket without fear of cleaning notifications, without fear of opening apps, without fear that I'm draining my battery because I'm constantly on my pin screen or the screen on the attached.

I use always on display and fingerprint to unlock. If you need other information to assist, let me know. Screenshot_20190329-065253_Nova Launcher.jpg

Advertisement

2. WeeWilly

WeeWilly Android Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2015
    Male
    Retired
    Rescue, California
    I've always carried phones in my front pants pocket without a problem, but I've had the same experience with my S10+.

3. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I carry a S8+ in my front pocket and had to add a lock screen entry to avoid opening multiple apps and creating multiple texts of zzzzaaazzaaaa etc. It would eventually choke my phone with so many apps opened. Putting a lock screen eliminated the problem. If a lock screen isn't stopping the problem on the S10 I don't have an answer.

4. thaKing

Aug 3, 2012
    Lex Vegas
    There's a lock screen, but an always on screen before the lock screen. With the always on display, there are notifications. It seems like as I walk around, my leg is trying to open the notifications. It opens the lock screen, which in a normal process if I put in my pin or fingerprint it would open to the app from the notification. Since it's my leg, the app is opened behind the lock screen as the phone waits to be unlocked. I want to prevent my leg from opening notifications, etc, while in my pocket.

5. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I can see how handy the always on screen would be... if it was working as desired. My off screen is merely a clock and temp. When I unlock the phone I have to access the notifications via a pull down or it's actual app shortcut. I don't know if you can or if you even care to disable the always on screen behind the lock screen. I feel your problem. I would have to have a work around or some means to eliminate opening apps or notifications prior to unlocking the phone.
    I wish I had something to offer. I hope someone has a fix for you. I long for the S10 but that problem would not work for me.

thaKing likes this.
  6. thaKing

Aug 3, 2012
    Lex Vegas
    The always on display can be turned off, it's just handy.

olbriar likes this.
  7. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Male
    Boston MA USA
    OT: Did anyone else see the all pockets pants?
    Looked like thick boxer briefs with straps for pockets.

8. Snakeyeskm

Snakeyeskm Android Expert

Apr 8, 2014
    Male
    Investment Banking
    US
    Not sure if this will work, but give it a try.

In Settings go to Lock screen and then Smart lock. Once in the window make sure that none of the four options is checked.
    Next go to the Lock screen and tap on Secure locks settings. Tap on Lock automatically and set that to 15 seconds from the default 5 seconds. This gives you time to place your phone in the pocket and not accidentally hit the screen or a key. Make sure that Lock instantly with power key is checked.

Best of luck

9. thaKing

Aug 3, 2012
    Lex Vegas
    I changed my settings as described. Fingers crossed.

dontpanicbobby and olbriar like this.