• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Carrying your Hero

How will you be carrying your Hero?

• Pocket (no case)

Votes: 144 43.9%
  • Pocket with case

Votes: 99 30.2%
  • Belt Clip / Holster

Votes: 71 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 4.3%

• Total voters
That's the one I was talking about. There are lots of different colors and they're cheap. I want something that's going to be slim yet still protect it. If they make real carbon fiber cases for our phones, I would definitely consider getting one.

DRO Concepts: Carbon Fiber Cases for iPhone, iPhone 3G, and Laptops

So it's a hard case that has a rubberized feel too it? Does it fit pretty slim and have access to the volume rocker? And most importantly...it feels pretty good on the phone? Not cheapy?

Upvote 0
I make my own holsters 'cause I typically don't like the commercially available ones. That, and I always end up with phones which are so new that there's nothing available for them yet. I'll be doing the same for my Hero, however I want it to fit the Hero while it's in a Seidio Innocase and I won't be getting mine until tomorrow or Saturday. Then the cutting, dying, and lacing begins.

I've attached photos of the last one I made for my Touch Pro. It looks basically the same as the ones I've made for every phone I had since the Treo 300 and will almost certainly look the same as the one I'll make for my Hero.

Pete

Great work!!!can i place an order? I have been looking for a case like that for my leatherman for over a year. Ill take one for the hero and my leatherman. how much skill do you need to make that? I,m good with my hands. also how long did it take? A youtube video would be great that is unless your taking orders:D

Upvote 0
Great work!!!can i place an order? I have been looking for a case like that for my leatherman for over a year. Ill take one for the hero and my leatherman. how much skill do you need to make that? I,m good with my hands. also how long did it take? A youtube video would be great that is unless your taking orders:D
I sent this by PM, but maybe it belongs here in the forum too:

Leatherworking is a casual hobby to me and I try to keep it that way by charging WAY too much for the things I get cornered into making for others. ;)

But it's really not that hard to do yourself. I started when I couldn't find suspenders for my nail bags that I liked, so I went to the local Tandy Leather store and bought some supplies and a book on leatherworking. Then I made a few belts and other Christmas presents and lost interest for awhile.

But then I bought this newfangled phone called the Treo 300. It was so new that there wasn't a single accessory available for it, but one day I spotted some leather remnants and had one of those "I wonder" moments. It took 3 or 4 tries before I finally came up with a holster I liked and the design has remained basically the same for every holster I've made since. Simple but utilitarian.

I've spent a little over 40 years building and fixing electromechanical things for a living and I'm good at it, however I don't think I have much of an artistic side. But as I already wrote, basic leatherworking wasn't very tough for me to grasp. I learned what I know from a book, from examining what other people have made, and trial-and-error, but most leatherworking supply stores also offer classes.

The photos are of my Treo 300 and the first holster I made that I was satisfied with. I should add that the photos show well over a year of use and abuse. If you build them like a saddle, they're going to last.

Pete

Attachments

• 100_0355.jpg
    100_0355.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 100_0357.jpg
    100_0357.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 70
Upvote 0
I ordered the sprint hero
2 hard cases
1 battery
and I'm looking into a solar battery charger
My phone inside the hard case can easy fit into my homemade case attach it to my lanyard that way I can talk and walk to school without worring about it falling out of my pocket because its around my neck at all times. Look at Amazon.com they got loads of stuff.

Upvote 0
I sent this by PM, but maybe it belongs here in the forum too:

Leatherworking is a casual hobby to me and I try to keep it that way by charging WAY too much for the things I get cornered into making for others. ;)

But it's really not that hard to do yourself. I started when I couldn't find suspenders for my nail bags that I liked, so I went to the local Tandy Leather store and bought some supplies and a book on leatherworking. Then I made a few belts and other Christmas presents and lost interest for awhile.

But then I bought this newfangled phone called the Treo 300. It was so new that there wasn't a single accessory available for it, but one day I spotted some leather remnants and had one of those "I wonder" moments. It took 3 or 4 tries before I finally came up with a holster I liked and the design has remained basically the same for every holster I've made since. Simple but utilitarian.

I've spent a little over 40 years building and fixing electromechanical things for a living and I'm good at it, however I don't think I have much of an artistic side. But as I already wrote, basic leatherworking wasn't very tough for me to grasp. I learned what I know from a book, from examining what other people have made, and trial-and-error, but most leatherworking supply stores also offer classes.

The photos are of my Treo 300 and the first holster I made that I was satisfied with. I should add that the photos show well over a year of use and abuse. If you build them like a saddle, they're going to last.

Pete
Nice Work, I like It.

Upvote 0
I use a black gel skin, no protectors, and I carry in my front left pocket. And I'm right handed. Money/keys in right pocket, phone in left. And if makes sense, since being right handed, I HOLD the phone in my LEFT and OPERATE with my RIGHT.

As for HOLSTERS, I would sooner never use a phone again than be seen with a holster on my belt/waistband. Holsters are the fannypacks for the 2000s, and there's NO WAY you will catch me like this:

leather-fanny-pack.jpg

Upvote 0
I use a black gel skin, no protectors, and I carry in my front left pocket. And I'm right handed. Money/keys in right pocket, phone in left. And if makes sense, since being right handed, I HOLD the phone in my LEFT and OPERATE with my RIGHT.

As for HOLSTERS, I would sooner never use a phone again than be seen with a holster on my belt/waistband. Holsters are the fannypacks for the 2000s, and there's NO WAY you will catch me like this:

leather-fanny-pack.jpg
LMAO I haven't seen anybody wear it like that.

Upvote 0
Does this case add a of thickness or bulk ? I want to stay as close to the original form as possible and not add thickness or bulk

I bought that same case and used it for ~1 month, I stopped using it because I thought it did add too much bulk, and generally uglified the phone. I hate the raised hole in the back for a belt clip, it causes the phone to not sit flat when you put it on a table.

I like the Hero design and don't really want to cover it up, so now I go naked, front-right pocket. I do have a screen protector.

This pic shows about how much bulk that case adds:

Upvote 0
I am using the Seidio HHRS case + Holster and have the 'Shield' for the screen protector (love the Shield).

Before I got the case, it did live in my pocket..back pocket..then front right with the screen towards my thigh so as to avoid any scratches with keys and other mysterious items in my pocket.

Since I am forever pocket dialing it's always safer (for me) to place my phones in a case and a holster....

I don't find that the case makes the phone any bulkier and the finish on the case is nice, not rubbery. I used the same brand case when I had my Crackberry 8330.

seidioonline.com

Upvote 0
ANYWAY...does anybody know of a good armband for running for the Sprint HTC Hero?

haven't seen one yet... something like this might work though:
Amazon.com: RED CELLET NEOPRENE ARMBAND CASE for CELL PHONES, iPODS, & MP3 PLAYERS.: Cell Phones & Service

I'm not a big fan of running with a phone, too bulky and expensive... I'd just get a refurbished Sansa Clip for $20 bucks from Woot or something, much better running player and don't have to worry if you drop it or get sweat on it.. probably cheaper than an armband/case!

Upvote 0
I am using the Seidio HHRS case + Holster and have the 'Shield' for the screen protector (love the Shield).

Before I got the case, it did live in my pocket..back pocket..then front right with the screen towards my thigh so as to avoid any scratches with keys and other mysterious items in my pocket.

Since I am forever pocket dialing it's always safer (for me) to place my phones in a case and a holster....

I don't find that the case makes the phone any bulkier and the finish on the case is nice, not rubbery. I used the same brand case when I had my Crackberry 8330.

seidioonline.com

Does this protect the screen? It looks like it has the same cheap clip that broke off my Blackberry holster and sent it tumbling to the ground.

Upvote 0
"Edaze"--> but it seems most of us put our keys in the right pocket. <--
That is right, we do put our keys in the right pocket. and put our Hero in the left pocket, unless if we say changes on left pocket and keys in right pocket, wallet in right back pocket, left pocket for anything personal. ;)

Thanks

Edaze for the info.

Not to speak for everyone righty, but it seems most of us put our keys in the right pocket. Which would make more sense to house the phone away from the keys. Either in a back pocket, or the left. As stated, I prefer the left, as Im too worried I'll forget and sit on my phone should I store it in the back pocket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones