• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

case for the samsung gs4

If you want to get a good answer to a question like this, you really have to be clear what you are looking for in a case.

Some cases are almost bulletproof and will protect a phone from quite severe shocks and are waterproof like the Seidio OBEX. They also make your phone feel huge like some monster from the 1990s and are very expensive.

Other cases offer only very slight protection from scuffs and scratches but add very little bulk and leave the screen naked (which always feels far better but offers no protection at all). Cases like this tend to be fairly cheap.

Unless you are clear about what you are looking for, it's hard to give good advice.

You asked what I used and the answer is usually no case at all. I only use a case if I am somewhere like a beach where it's wet and sandy or when I'm riding my bike and sweating a lot. In these situations, I use a cheap IPX8 waterproof case made of silicone and polycarbonate that I bought on eBay for a few pounds. Otherwise, I'm careful.

Upvote 0
Hey there I just purchased the samsung gs4 on the sprint network and just was wondering about cases i am going back and forth between the ballistic sg case or the speck candy shell grip I looked at the s view case from Samsung and they look cheapish what does everyone recommend

I started off with the Urban Armor Gear Case.
It provides adequate protection for light to moderate situations while still keeping your phone very slim. I think the UAG provides some of the best protection for a slim case.

Later on,
I switched to the Ballistic SG MAXX Case and haven't looked back.
It does bulk up the phone a bit in comparison to the UAG but not nearly as much as an Otterbox Defender, Kraken, or some of the other heavy duty cases.
I actually like the added size with this one for better grip, but
You can still fit it into your pocket quite easily. (at least I can)
It provides much more of a front lip off the screen in comparison to the UAG,
as well as nice recess on the back to keep the camera lens away from harm.
I especially like the big rubber bumpers on the corners, not only for protection, but they also work well for a good off the phone finger grip when holding one handed watching a video or something like that.
It also comes with a removable plastic screen protector that can be used if desired, but I don't use it. The holster is also quite nice.

For me....the Ballistic SG MAXX is the best out of the heavy duty cases,
but if you're accident prone or extremely hard on your phone,
you'd probably be better off with a Trident Kraken, Otterbox Defender, or the waterproof Obex.
Those cases however WILL turn you S4 into a huge uncomfortable brick IMO.

Good with whatever you purchase. :)

P.S. If you shop around online, you can find the Ballistic SG MAXX case for only $30-$35 now shipped to your door.

Upvote 0
I bought my wife the Urban Armor Gear in white, for her white S4. I plan on getting the black one for myself when I order my phone this weekend as well. The fit and finish are fantastic - My wife and kids think it gives it a star wars stormtrooper look to the phone.

Upvote 0
I have tried 4 different cases and finally settled on the white UAG case for my Blue Mist GS4.

-Poetic Atmosphere case: I like how it's transparent and you can see your phone through it and it fits very nicely, almost too snug if you often take off the case, but it didn't provide the shock absorption i wanted.

-Spigen Slim Armor: I really like this case and think it's great overall. It's very thin, gives a nice grip and feel to the phone, and i like the 2 layer protection giving it decent protection should you drop the phone, although the ONLY negative about this case is the front lip protecting the screen is almost non-existent. If the lip came out more this would be the case I'd rock every day and it's also easy to take off and put on back on.

-Puregear Dualtek: Easily the most protection from any case I've tried, while not being super bulky. I like this case a lot and looks good, but unfortunately with medium sized hands it makes the phone just wide enough and thick enough that it was difficult to use the phone with one hand. This case has some nice rubber bumpers on the corners and a raised rubber part on the inside that the phone somewhat rests on and allows very good shock absorption and a nice raised lip on the front.

-Urban Armor Gear: The case I've been using for over a month and a great case overall. It's almost as thin as the Slim Armor, but provides more of a raised front lip to protect the screen and a little bit better protection on the corners. It also comes with a clear screen protector, but I had already applied one from Tech Armor. I think the white UAG case looks pretty cool with my Mist GS4.

Upvote 0
I have tried 4 different cases and finally settled on the white UAG case for my Blue Mist GS4.

-Poetic Atmosphere case: I like how it's transparent and you can see your phone through it and it fits very nicely, almost too snug if you often take off the case, but it didn't provide the shock absorption i wanted.

-Spigen Slim Armor: I really like this case and think it's great overall. It's very thin, gives a nice grip and feel to the phone, and i like the 2 layer protection giving it decent protection should you drop the phone, although the ONLY negative about this case is the front lip protecting the screen is almost non-existent. If the lip came out more this would be the case I'd rock every day and it's also easy to take off and put on back on.

-Puregear Dualtek: Easily the most protection from any case I've tried, while not being super bulky. I like this case a lot and looks good, but unfortunately with medium sized hands it makes the phone just wide enough and thick enough that it was difficult to use the phone with one hand. This case has some nice rubber bumpers on the corners and a raised rubber part on the inside that the phone somewhat rests on and allows very good shock absorption and a nice raised lip on the front.

-Urban Armor Gear: The case I've been using for over a month and a great case overall. It's almost as thin as the Slim Armor, but provides more of a raised front lip to protect the screen and a little bit better protection on the corners. It also comes with a clear screen protector, but I had already applied one from Tech Armor. I think the white UAG case looks pretty cool with my Mist GS4.
what about speck candy shell grip or ballistic sg cases

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones