1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Case Mate Tough vs Otterbox Commuter

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by DjentleGiant, Sep 17, 2011.

1. DjentleGiant

DjentleGiant Lurker
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm torn inbetween which case I should go for.

A Otterbox Commuter or a Case Mate Tough. They are about the same price for me.

Does anyone have any experience with these two cases? What would you go for?

Cheers! :D

Advertisement

2. kiiat

kiiat Member
    None

Jul 1, 2011
    the casemates are good cases, but i haven't had any issues with otterbox when i started using them years ago. they will protect your phone like nobody's business; i've dropped my s2 from high heights (i'm pretty clumsy) onto pavement, tiles etc and nothing - not a scratch.

the only thing is that the otterbox adds some bulk to the phone; which i actually like for the s2 because it's eerily thin and i always feel like it's going to snap in two when i'm holding it without the case.

my vote is for otterbox.

hope this helps!

3. atmasters

atmasters Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 18, 2010
    Canada B.C.
    I have always used Otterbox and I use the Defender. The screen protector for the Defender is a little cheep but I got a Zagg and it rocks. The Defender looks really good on the phone and it is very protected. I vote Otterbox

4. devgru120903

devgru120903 Lurker
    None

Sep 21, 2011
    I have the Otterbox Commuter case. It is a very tough and reliable case. Fact is, nobody does phone cases better than Otterbox. But sad to say that when I receive or make a call the receiving end complains that she can hear her own voice when talking, somewhat like a looping feedback. It only happend when the case is on but when I undress my SII, the echo is gone according to whoever I call. I hope this can be fixed via software update. Otterbox Commuter gets my vote! expensive but worth it! :)

5. FiveFreshFish

FiveFreshFish Newbie
    None

Aug 21, 2011
    I have the OtterBox Commuter. It does make the phone easier to grip and does not affect the call quality on my phone.

This case is 35 grams, making the total weight approximately 152 grams.

6. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    I think my Otterbox Commuter is great, after cracking my original SGS2 I had to have a rigid case to prevent further grief and this thing gives me real confidence in my phone. I'm tempted to get one of those SGS tempered glass screen protectors to fully armour my phone... but it's good so far.
    I tend to use cheap ebay screen protectors and swap them every couple of months as they get scratched.

7. wookie_666

wookie_666 Lurker
    None

Sep 22, 2011
    I have both and I have to say they are great cases although with my phone whenever yhere is anything near the bottom mic the other caller gets their voice echoed back to them. With a case with an open bottom like a leather flip the problem goes. Which is why it goes when you take the case off completely. Keep this in mind. Make a call to someone. Cover the lower mic with your finger and get them to talk. Of they hear their own voice played back to them then you will have problems with cases that cover the lower part near the charge point amd microphone point.

8. Morat

Morat Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 9, 2010
    Looking at the various videos, I think the only real difference is the corners. The Tough Case covers the corners with its hard outer case, whereas the Otterbox has cutouts in the outer case which are filled with a thicker layer of silicone from the inner case.

I don't know which is the more protective in the case of a drop onto the corner of the phone without testing. I can see the logic behind each option.