1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General CASE NO CASE

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oaklane, Mar 12, 2015.

1. oaklane

oaklane Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 10, 2010
    Secretary
    New Hampshire
    New Droid Turbo Ballistic Nylon, love the look and feel of it. Have always had a case/holster on my phones since I dropped the Droid 4 and smashed the screen (had a screen protector on it). Now they have to have a screen protector, case and holster. I'm not sure what I would do with it without a case/holster, hate having it bang around inside my purse. Just wondering on you all do you have a case or do you prefer nothing at all? Aren't you afraid of it falling out breaking.....

Advertisement

2. doogald

doogald Extreme Android User

Jan 7, 2010
    I don't have a turbo, but I don't care how beautiful a phone is. It will always have a zagg style screen protector, if for no other reason than to hold the glass together if it fractures, and it will always have a case - at least a bumper to help absorb the shock of a drop. Even more so now that phones are going edge to edge glass...

3. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I don't use a screen protector or case. I carry it in a pocket that never has anything other than the Turbo. I do not work in an area where it could drop or get wet.

You said purse.

If you are going to carry it in your purse then you will want to have some kind of protective case so it is bit devoured.

I just had a meeting with a woman using a non Turbo in a flip case. When the case (leather) was open the phone was almost totally nude. I don't know ho convenient it would be to make a call while holding it to an ear.

... Thom

4. oaklane

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Secretary
    New Hampshire
    I know i've seen those cases, that are like a flip clase on the side but I can't imagine how they work, taking pictures. I those for my tablets, which is ok, I don't us my tablet to take too many pictures anyways.

5. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
  6. Kevin-B

Kevin-B Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Agreed, Thom. I love the slim looks of my phones. So for the last three or four phones, I've put on a screen protector, then placed it in an otherwise empty pants pocket, screen-side toward my thigh. I handle it carefully, haven't dropped an of them (much), and all has been fine. And it's been fine.

Thom likes this.
  7. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Yes ... thanks for mention that ... screen is always towards my body.

I like carrying it my shirt pocket also. The speakers are on the back and it makes it real easy to hear driving directions.

... Thom

8. dringess

dringess Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2013
    I haven't used a case on my last couple of phones, but I do now. I was sitting on a parking lot stretching after a run, and my Turbo slipped from my pocket, falling less than six inches - a tiny crack appeared on the screen, which grew to a web within a couple of days. $125 later, I now use a thin case on my Turbo.

9. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    I thought they replaced the first cracked screen at n o charge. Has that stopped?

... Thom

10. oaklane

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Secretary
    New Hampshire
    I heard they do replace the first cracked screen but I don't want to take any chances. Had one of mine smash without any protection except the screen protector, so I got a thing case/holster, keeping the phones basic original shape and size. I feel that it's providing some protection from bouncing around in my pocketbook and when not in there it's on my desk or clipped to my waistband.

11. dringess

dringess Lurker
    None

Jan 25, 2013
    I bought mine with no contract so I could keep my cherished unlimited data. I think the one-time cracked-screen fix only applies to people on contract or Edge.

Thom likes this.
  12. Chasvs

Chasvs Newbie
    None

Aug 5, 2010
  13. speede541

speede541 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    SF Bay Area, California
    Whether or not to case it depends on how well you know your level of klutz.

If I'm going to have a nice phone, I don't want to fatten it up.

I drop my phones every now and then, and it pisses me the he11 off when I get that inevitable nick on the edge. But I've carried my Turbo nude, as well as my Maxx before it, and my GNex prior to that for the second year of its life.

Like I say, I drop mine from time to time, but no case, no screen protector, no issues -- and, FWIW, I buy off-contract and don't carry the insurance.

My wife, on the other hand -- pure butterfingers. She pretty much needs a case.

Joker in the Mist likes this.
  14. monstermanhbf

monstermanhbf Newbie
    None

I recently got the new Droid Turbo and got a case for it as well. I went with the Otter Box Defender case. Awesome case, a little pricey but if you shop around @ "Amazon or Ebay" you can find it cheaper than retail..

15. coulterjosh

coulterjosh Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 13, 2014
    im currently using the otterbox defender, i also have the commuter that i used also but wanted the defender for a little more protection. I also tried the lifeproof with terrible results that royally made me mad at that company. Also i have the verizon holser case which is nice just wanted a little more protection

16. jackmccullough

None

Apr 25, 2011
    It has the reputation for being tough, but I did put a case on it. I got the Tech 21, which adds very little weight or bulk. No drops yet, but I'm liking it so far.

17. ekyle

ekyle Android Expert
    None

Jan 5, 2010
    Male
    Software Engineer
    Central NY
    I don't use cases on any phone really. They make it too bulky in my pocket and that kind of thing annoys me. I've dropped the Turbo a few times on various surfaces (accidentally), but it seems to hold up just fine. No scratches or anything.

18. starkraving

starkraving Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2013
    Male
    Contractor
    Las Vegas, Nv
    I'll use a plain old tpu depending on the device (for grip purposes) but things like Otter box etc turn lardge phones into bricks imo.

19. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    I use both the Verizon brand tempered glass screen protector and the Shell Holster combo case.

20. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator
    None

Sep 5, 2012
    Male
    Civil Engineer
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Depending on how careful you are with your device should effect your decision on case or no case.

I never get a case, I just get a screen protector, but I rarely drop my phone (like maybe 1 time per phone). However, with some phones 1 time is all it takes.

This phone has some good build quality and mine did take it's one fall a few weeks back from about 5 feet up landing on concrete and only received some minor scuffs on the side, each drop is different though.

21. oaklane

None

Feb 10, 2010
    Secretary
    New Hampshire
    Thanks Everyone, I've had the phone since March, did have Verizon put on the screen protector for $18 and then I got a shell holster. I'm not a clutz but I've dropped this 2 times so far, once on the dirt driveway and once on the cellar floor. Both times would have been the end of the phone I'm thinking and nothing happened. The case is pretty slim which I like I just dont dare carry it without the protection, it's a great phone.

22. OwnRules

OwnRules Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2015
    Speakers "on the back"? On a Droid Turbo?

Guess they gave me the wrong model! ;)

ETA: I've been using cases & screen protectors for ever. Wouldn't think of *not* using them.

23. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

"on the back" when carrying in your pocket as in "towards your body" and not "facing the front" of your pocket. The point was that is how would carry it to protect the screen without additional protection. Sorry for the confusion.

... Thom

24. OwnRules

OwnRules Lurker
    None

Jun 19, 2015
    Yup, indeed, I found your response confusing. Appreciate you clearing it up.

25. red66charger

red66charger Android Expert
    None

Mar 1, 2011
    Television Production, Producer/Director, Editor
    Belleair Bluffs, FL
    In the early months of the Turbo's release I believe there were no good bumper options for the BN version (I think). I'm using a TPU cover but I hate covering the back of the phone. I just want corner and edge protection. Are there any good options for bumpers now?