1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Tips Cases!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by silentflow, Dec 14, 2011.

1. jt02gt

jt02gt Member
    None

Nov 20, 2010
    Radiographer
    Nebraska

Advertisement

2. NextNexus

NextNexus Member
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    Oh didn't know they had different "snapping" mechanisms. So how has your DroidX Seidio case lasted in terms of durability? Did some of those clips break off?

I've got the Diztronic TPU case right now and it fits quite well. However, I really want to make a cutout around the volume rocker...I don't have the steadiest of hands though :p

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  3. RadYOacTiVe

RadYOacTiVe Android Expert
    None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Got my Case Mate Barely There case today...absolutely perfect for me. Very slim profile with hardly any noticeable bulk to the phone. It's actually thinner than the one on my Thunderbolt. I wish they had the black chrome color that they have for my Thunderbolt but black is just fine.

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

4. bamaboy

bamaboy Newbie
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Auburn, AL
    Do you know if this will work with the extended battery?

There are 3 cases that are similar: Casemate barely there, Incipio feather, and the Sedio case. Im curious if any of them will work with the extended battery or if all of the thin ones are standard battery only.

gunit34328 and GalaxyNexus like this.
  5. RadYOacTiVe

None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    I have an extended battery coming from Verizon that should be here Monday, i will post back then.

GalaxyNexus and fiatandroid like this.
  6. Booya

Booya Well-Known Member
    None

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  7. T-Keith

T-Keith Android Enthusiast
    None

May 1, 2010
    Gross, I think I'd rather have a cracked screen.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  8. eyc

eyc Well-Known Member
    None

May 2, 2010
    Chicago, IL

I'm also considering getting this, but it looks like it lacks coverage on the very top and the very bottom, is this true? Even the pink one on their website shows what seems to be a lack of coverage.

[​IMG]

I want something that I can snap on when I'm golfing, so that I can toss it in the cup holder or the compartment without worrying. But, it looks like this one might allow the bottoms or tops to get scuffed.

Also, are you using a standard battery or extended?

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  9. crackers8199

crackers8199 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    i think you'll be happy with it...i have it on my phone now and it's awesome. only thing i need to do is make a cutout for the voume buttons...i ordered another one from amazon in case i screw it up.

that's my only complaint. if they had cut out the volume buttons the way they did the power button, it'd be pretty much the perfect case...

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  10. RadYOacTiVe

None

Dec 10, 2009
    Male
    Yes, the top and bottoms are exposed. I am pretty careful with my phones but want just a little protection in case i drop it. If you want something more, the Seidio cases are awesome too. Full coverage and just a bit thicker.

I am using with the standard battery. I have an extended battery on the way, hopefully be here monday. I'll post back when I get it.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  11. SGN

SGN Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    I picked up the otterbox when I bought my phone at VZW. After a few days my impressions are:

Pros:
    Major
    -Very sturdy
    -Makes the phone easier to grip (added bulk and the grip of the material on the back-side)
    -Perfectly fits the phone, buttons etc
    -Built in screen protection

Cons:
    Major
    -Definitely adds a great deal of bulk. For me this is the real downside.
    -The look of it isn't the best, but I like the colors. Just wish it had the sleekness of the actual phone.

Minor
    -There are covers for the charger port and headphone jack which seem like they could tear over time and are somewhat annoying to work with (they are basically a rectangle cut out of the rubber case with one side attached).
    -The inner most case is really, really difficult to remove. Pretty much only necessary if changing out the battery. The best method that I came up with was pinching the top and bottom of the case with one hand (sometimes this works, sometimes not)

Overall I like it. Going to spend a few days with it and see how much the bulk really bothers me. If it does, may switch to casemate barely there.

PS One question: Does the otterbox case offer enough screen protection? I don't feel like I need to place an additional screen protector, but just wondering if it was something to think about.

gunit34328 and GalaxyNexus like this.
  12. Rhystatic

Rhystatic Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 17, 2011
    That's actually really nice. I have a Diztronic otw via mail. But I'm looking into the Casemate barely there or now this Otterbox Commuter. I'll have to see what I think.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  13. gripweed

gripweed Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2010

Pretty much word for word what I was thinking. I'll give it a week and see what I think. I love how the phone looks without the case so I'm inclined to go naked, but the otterox is really nice for when I go to throw my phone on the desk or on my car console....it'll really help protect everything.

The major downfall for me is car dock. Im not pulling this case off everytime I want to dock my phone. Right now it's not an issue as I dont have a car dock, waiting for proclip.usa to release one.

What I think I might do though....is take my Dremel to the holster that came with the otterbox, drill some holes, and mount it to my current car mount....the I can just snap the phone in with the otterbox case on and it'll work great.

Anyone ever try modding one of those holsters? Curious to if it'll survive drilling or if it'll just split and crack.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  14. SGN

SGN Lurker
    None

Dec 18, 2011
    One pro that I didn't mention was the clip. No, it's not something that I would use daily, but in some situations it's nice to have that option. Not a big deal, but nice to have.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  15. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 2, 2010
    Kansas, United States
    [​IMG]
    This is what i did to my diztronic case as mentioned before. Simply took a razor blade to the volume section. Works great!

16. ridaz650

ridaz650 Newbie
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    ^did the same to my case today. Much better now, before I was powering on/off I kept hitting the volume.

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  17. JSK

JSK Newbie
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    I seem to have comb my list down to four cases that I will pair with a Steinheil or Ghost Armor face skin:

Seidio Surface
    Case Mate Barely There
    Incipio Feather (this doesn't cover the bottom or top of the phone does it?)
    Diztronic TPU

Cost isn't a major issue, not that I am rich, but I won't skimp on cost on something this valuable.

I do need something that will work with an extended battery however. Though I may try to snug my normal battery door over the extended battery as some say works.

I also want something sturdy, somewhat shock absorbant, and wouldn't complain if it was softer to the touch than just hard plastic.

What do you guys think?

GalaxyNexus likes this.
  18. ANewDay

ANewDay Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    Which screen protector is that?

I saw the Seidio cases for $23 on ebay and $42 for both the case and holster.

19. BzB

BzB Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 6, 2009
    same considerations i had. decided to go with the seidio surface. used the surface cases on my tb and dinc and i like that it's almost as slim as the incipio or case mate, but offers better protection of the top and bottom bezel/edge area. i had the incipio for my dinc and used it on occasion, but always ended up going back to the surface case for mostly worry free coverage.

one thing i haven't used consistently is a screen protector. gonna hold out on one for now.

20. DucatiDude

DucatiDude Well-Known Member
    None

May 30, 2010
    But it seems as though the volume rocker buttons are constantly getting pressed resulting in continuous low volume. This is a deal breaker.

21. JSK

JSK Newbie
    None

Jan 12, 2010
    Are you using it with the extended battery or door? Do you have it yet?

22. mark959022

mark959022 Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    which otterbox are you using with you extended battery

23. generic username

None

Mar 18, 2010
    It comes down to this choice for me too. I'm having a tough time deciging between the two. I wonder which has the slimmest profile.

Edited to add that I read on one forum that Incipio has good customer service. Considering the durability problem that some thinner cases have, this was enough to cause me to choose Incipio over Case Mate (I have not read anything one way or the other about Case Mate customer service).

24. crackers8199

crackers8199 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 12, 2010
    I did the same but I'm not thrilled with how it turned out looks-wise...functionality- wise its great, this is how it should be.

I wish there was a tpu case available with it already cut out....

25. the block

the block Newbie
    None

Nov 16, 2009
    Has there been a definitive solution for a case/holster for the nexus w/ extended battery? I really need to get something soon, as I'm not digging carrying this around in my pocket.

Tags: