• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
sounds like your Fascinate case is similar to the Seidio case for the Droid Incredible which snaps halfway up the back of the case.
This is what I had and loved it so when I moved to the Droid X, I immediately ordered a Seidio case and when it arrived, I noticed the design is very different.

on the Droid X, the case does not snap halfway up the middle, the "top" piece (screen side) is one piece and snaps onto the back piece using small clips along the side of the phone.
I found this style a bit inferior as those clips are very small and therefore very brittle.

Can someone confirm whether the Nexus case is similar to this design?
Oh didn't know they had different "snapping" mechanisms. So how has your DroidX Seidio case lasted in terms of durability? Did some of those clips break off?

I've got the Diztronic TPU case right now and it fits quite well. However, I really want to make a cutout around the volume rocker...I don't have the steadiest of hands though :p

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
Upvote 0
Got my Case Mate Barely There case today...absolutely perfect for me. Very slim profile with hardly any noticeable bulk to the phone. It's actually thinner than the one on my Thunderbolt. I wish they had the black chrome color that they have for my Thunderbolt but black is just fine.

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

Upvote 0
Got my Case Mate Barely There case today...absolutely perfect for me. Very slim profile with hardly any noticeable bulk to the phone. It's actually thinner than the one on my Thunderbolt. I wish they had the black chrome color that they have for my Thunderbolt but black is just fine.

Do you know if this will work with the extended battery?

There are 3 cases that are similar: Casemate barely there, Incipio feather, and the Sedio case. Im curious if any of them will work with the extended battery or if all of the thin ones are standard battery only.

Upvote 0
I have an extended battery coming from Verizon that should be here Monday, i will post back then.

Do you know if this will work with the extended battery?

There are 3 cases that are similar: Casemate barely there, Incipio feather, and the Sedio case. Im curious if any of them will work with the extended battery or if all of the thin ones are standard battery only.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

View attachment 25422

View attachment 25423

I'm also considering getting this, but it looks like it lacks coverage on the very top and the very bottom, is this true? Even the pink one on their website shows what seems to be a lack of coverage.

getDynamicImage.aspx

I want something that I can snap on when I'm golfing, so that I can toss it in the cup holder or the compartment without worrying. But, it looks like this one might allow the bottoms or tops to get scuffed.

Also, are you using a standard battery or extended?

Upvote 0
The smoked translucent case is the one I'm getting.

i think you'll be happy with it...i have it on my phone now and it's awesome. only thing i need to do is make a cutout for the voume buttons...i ordered another one from amazon in case i screw it up.

that's my only complaint. if they had cut out the volume buttons the way they did the power button, it'd be pretty much the perfect case...

Upvote 0
Yes, the top and bottoms are exposed. I am pretty careful with my phones but want just a little protection in case i drop it. If you want something more, the Seidio cases are awesome too. Full coverage and just a bit thicker.

I am using with the standard battery. I have an extended battery on the way, hopefully be here monday. I'll post back when I get it.

I'm also considering getting this, but it looks like it lacks coverage on the very top and the very bottom, is this true? Even the pink one on their website shows what seems to be a lack of coverage.

getDynamicImage.aspx

I want something that I can snap on when I'm golfing, so that I can toss it in the cup holder or the compartment without worrying. But, it looks like this one might allow the bottoms or tops to get scuffed.

Also, are you using a standard battery or extended?

Upvote 0
I picked up the otterbox when I bought my phone at VZW. After a few days my impressions are:

Pros:
Major
-Very sturdy
-Makes the phone easier to grip (added bulk and the grip of the material on the back-side)
-Perfectly fits the phone, buttons etc
-Built in screen protection

Cons:
Major
-Definitely adds a great deal of bulk. For me this is the real downside.
-The look of it isn't the best, but I like the colors. Just wish it had the sleekness of the actual phone.

Minor
-There are covers for the charger port and headphone jack which seem like they could tear over time and are somewhat annoying to work with (they are basically a rectangle cut out of the rubber case with one side attached).
-The inner most case is really, really difficult to remove. Pretty much only necessary if changing out the battery. The best method that I came up with was pinching the top and bottom of the case with one hand (sometimes this works, sometimes not)

Overall I like it. Going to spend a few days with it and see how much the bulk really bothers me. If it does, may switch to casemate barely there.

PS One question: Does the otterbox case offer enough screen protection? I don't feel like I need to place an additional screen protector, but just wondering if it was something to think about.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I picked up the otterbox when I bought my phone at VZW. After a few days my impressions are:

Pros:
Major
-Very sturdy
-Makes the phone easier to grip (added bulk and the grip of the material on the back-side)
-Perfectly fits the phone, buttons etc
-Built in screen protection

Cons:
Major
-Definitely adds a great deal of bulk. For me this is the real downside.
-The look of it isn't the best, but I like the colors. Just wish it had the sleekness of the actual phone.

Minor
-There are covers for the charger port and headphone jack which seem like they could tear over time and are somewhat annoying to work with (they are basically a rectangle cut out of the rubber case with one side attached).
-The inner most case is really, really difficult to remove. Pretty much only necessary if changing out the battery. The best method that I came up with was pinching the top and bottom of the case with one hand (sometimes this works, sometimes not)

Overall I like it. Going to spend a few days with it and see how much the bulk really bothers me. If it does, may switch to casemate barely there.

PS One question: Does the otterbox case offer enough screen protection? I don't feel like I need to place an additional screen protector, but just wondering if it was something to think about.

Pretty much word for word what I was thinking. I'll give it a week and see what I think. I love how the phone looks without the case so I'm inclined to go naked, but the otterox is really nice for when I go to throw my phone on the desk or on my car console....it'll really help protect everything.

The major downfall for me is car dock. Im not pulling this case off everytime I want to dock my phone. Right now it's not an issue as I dont have a car dock, waiting for proclip.usa to release one.

What I think I might do though....is take my Dremel to the holster that came with the otterbox, drill some holes, and mount it to my current car mount....the I can just snap the phone in with the otterbox case on and it'll work great.

Anyone ever try modding one of those holsters? Curious to if it'll survive drilling or if it'll just split and crack.

Upvote 0
That's actually really nice. I have a Diztronic otw via mail. But I'm looking into the Casemate barely there or now this Otterbox Commuter. I'll have to see what I think.

One pro that I didn't mention was the clip. No, it's not something that I would use daily, but in some situations it's nice to have that option. Not a big deal, but nice to have.

Upvote 0
I seem to have comb my list down to four cases that I will pair with a Steinheil or Ghost Armor face skin:

Seidio Surface
Case Mate Barely There
Incipio Feather (this doesn't cover the bottom or top of the phone does it?)
Diztronic TPU

Cost isn't a major issue, not that I am rich, but I won't skimp on cost on something this valuable.

I do need something that will work with an extended battery however. Though I may try to snug my normal battery door over the extended battery as some say works.

I also want something sturdy, somewhat shock absorbant, and wouldn't complain if it was softer to the touch than just hard plastic.

What do you guys think?

Upvote 0
I have the Diztronic case, here's the front and back. Seems to be pretty good so far. My screen protector covers the entire phone, and the edges of the case kind of are pushing up against the protector lifting it a little. I may sand/file them down just a wee bit.

AgwKPMgCAAIU9yf.jpg

AgwKa7XCAAA5qCf.jpg

Which screen protector is that?

I saw the Seidio cases for $23 on ebay and $42 for both the case and holster.

Upvote 0
I seem to have comb my list down to four cases that I will pair with a Steinheil or Ghost Armor face skin:

Seidio Surface
Case Mate Barely There
Incipio Feather (this doesn't cover the bottom or top of the phone does it?)
Diztronic TPU

Cost isn't a major issue, not that I am rich, but I won't skimp on cost on something this valuable.

I do need something that will work with an extended battery however. Though I may try to snug my normal battery door over the extended battery as some say works.

I also want something sturdy, somewhat shock absorbant, and wouldn't complain if it was softer to the touch than just hard plastic.

What do you guys think?

same considerations i had. decided to go with the seidio surface. used the surface cases on my tb and dinc and i like that it's almost as slim as the incipio or case mate, but offers better protection of the top and bottom bezel/edge area. i had the incipio for my dinc and used it on occasion, but always ended up going back to the surface case for mostly worry free coverage.

one thing i haven't used consistently is a screen protector. gonna hold out on one for now.

Upvote 0
the ditzronic case is seriously one of the best <$20 cases I have ever seen for a phone. its cheap, durable, easy to take on and off, and won't go flying apart when dropped or when buried in your jeans pocket during a night of mayhem :)

But it seems as though the volume rocker buttons are constantly getting pressed resulting in continuous low volume. This is a deal breaker.

Upvote 0
same considerations i had. decided to go with the seidio surface. used the surface cases on my tb and dinc and i like that it's almost as slim as the incipio or case mate, but offers better protection of the top and bottom bezel/edge area. i had the incipio for my dinc and used it on occasion, but always ended up going back to the surface case for mostly worry free coverage.

one thing i haven't used consistently is a screen protector. gonna hold out on one for now.

Are you using it with the extended battery or door? Do you have it yet?

Upvote 0
casemate barely there or incipio feather? what would you pick. looking to just keep phone slim but kinda protected. I never really use cases but thought i might be a good time to protect this precious phone

It comes down to this choice for me too. I'm having a tough time deciging between the two. I wonder which has the slimmest profile.

Edited to add that I read on one forum that Incipio has good customer service. Considering the durability problem that some thinner cases have, this was enough to cause me to choose Incipio over Case Mate (I have not read anything one way or the other about Case Mate customer service).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones