• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Casio C771 Unlock Bootloader and Install GNM Recovery via Fastboot

The driver is installed. I downloaded it again and tried to install just to make sure. My Win7 list of installed drivers is much, much shorter than the one you posted a picture of. Boot Loader does indeed show up though.

I had forgotten to change the Bypass Booting, so went in and changed that. Backed out, phone restarted by itself.

adb shell - changed prompt to a $
su - changed prompt to a #

entered the code in the OP of the All in One thread

"Dumping current recovery.img etc etc etc"

Then loaded up a new menu, blue background with a few options to select

Backup>NAND Backup
Selected all options
Backup
Menu for yes
Backing up

Is this proper? I guess I don't fully understand the necessity of this step, if somebody could elaborate.

TIA for the help

edit: I had followed the instructions in the AiO thread to copy the recoveryflash folder over to the SD card and placed the GNM file in there. Not sure if this is a different route to the same destination?

Upvote 0
The driver is installed. I downloaded it again and tried to install just to make sure. My Win7 list of installed drivers is much, much shorter than the one you posted a picture of. Boot Loader does indeed show up though.

I had forgotten to change the Bypass Booting, so went in and changed that. Backed out, phone restarted by itself.

adb shell - changed prompt to a $
su - changed prompt to a #

entered the code in the OP of the All in One thread

"Dumping current recovery.img etc etc etc"

Then loaded up a new menu, blue background with a few options to select

Backup>NAND Backup
Selected all options
Backup
Menu for yes
Backing up

Is this proper? I guess I don't fully understand the necessity of this step, if somebody could elaborate.

TIA for the help

edit: I had followed the instructions in the AiO thread to copy the recoveryflash folder over to the SD card and placed the GNM file in there. Not sure if this is a different route to the same destination?

Once you have the options to back up your good work select backup highlight all the use the touch screen to execute the ;)... Good luck

Upvote 0
All backed up :)

Transfer it to the PC for safe keeping.

Do I leave a backup on the SD card too?

And I'm I finally green light to remove all this Verizon poo? :D
Your gold. I leave the recovery on the sdcard. Go to the play Store and grab root App Delete and freeze them first. Before freezing backup all system apps with titiumum. Also found at the play Store.. Congratulations. And good luck

Reactions: unibonger
Upvote 0
This is my first post, I have been lurking for a while.
Well R_hippy spent most of sunday with me working on my phone. root worked but we became stuck on the the same screen shot he posted.
No menu, he tinkered with stuff (I have no idea! What all the codes and stuff mean!) We ended unsuccessful. Still not able to get to the recovery screen, any ideas?
Thanks again R_hippy!

Reactions: r_hippy
Upvote 0
Before doing this method , i'd tried many ways to gain root access (again) after wifi breaks..
1. my /system and /system/bin already in -rwxrwx / 777 permission.
2. i'd using a lot of method zergrush exploit,superoneclick,universal gingerbread root,and z4root to gain root.
3. im still at build m110.
4. busybox already installed while i'd lost my root access and wifi error.
5. a lot of things i'd done in 2 weeks that i dont remember what else i've tried.

maybe that's the reason why this method works for me... too many experiment im not documented. Sorry all , this trick have 99% to fail.

Upvote 0
I just rooted my droid commando. thanks to all the information on this forum. Like Hippy I have M130 and tried to flash recovery as described above. during recovery reboot I get screen shown by hippy. no options. I have to remove my battery to reboot to desktop. at this time what other recovery flash can I try? anyone out there with a m130 get this to work?

thanks

yes i was able to get it to work. you have to have the drivers for your pc for it to work. they are in the closed thread from the admin at the top, and on the first page under the m130 rooted thread.
hope this helps. also you can try to reference my how to guide, and at the same time therefore making it fixible from as system wipe:)

Upvote 0
First of all , Do with your own risk.. im not responsible for any damage caused by your action . Im just share my experience and trial , this trick is working for me To Unlock bootloader , flashing recovery with GNM Recovery from fastboot [Command Line mode] , and finally Root your device from GNM Recovery. This is just alternative root method , i dont think it's an easier than THIS method but it's worth to try.

Im on M110 Build , still hoping for anyone here upload their M130 stock build , since i cant get OTA Update from here. But i guess this method work for all build.

The starting point is here :

I've guessed that "Bypass Booting" was bootloader lock "bypassing", but how can i use that to install recovery from stock device without root access ?

Here's the step by step guide assuming everyone here has been enabling "bypass booting" - ON & C771 Boot Loader Interface driver installed on their device , just googling it or search on this forum to get the correct driver:
1. Download ADB , since im doing all my stuff from there and make sure to connect your device in computer with Debugging On [ see Setting > Application > Development > USB Debugging ] and Charge Only mode. [see attachment for ADB package for windows]

2. Execute this Command from Command Line [ im using Windows Command Line ] to Enter C771 Bootloader :
you should see stuck on G'zone logo on your Device after the process completed.

3. Check device already connected and can do the fastboot command
- the command should have result = version: 0.5 <-- or something like that , it means the device already connected [ 0x0409 --> Vendor id of C771 ]

4. Assuming you're already have GNM Recovery image on you PC do this following command :
screenshot of mine on attachment for example.

When you see something like this on CMD Windows :
That means the flashing process already done and succeed.

6. Now boot to Android with this command :
no need for disassembly battery anymore from bootloader interface and continue to normal booting.

7. After booting process completed and your PC detected your ADB interface again. Run this command from CMD Windows :
and you'll see GNM Recovery installed on your C771 Calculator eh sorry i mean Android Device. :D

8. Make Yourself familiar with GNM Recovery Interface on you Device , you can do root and anything you could normally do from Recovery Interface.
I'm still waiting for someone Cooking Custom ROM from this lovely calculator :D.

9. This is personal advisory , do a NANDROID BACKUP is strongly recomended first action after all of this done.
You should at all cost avoid to wipe /Sytem , /Boot , /etc except you really need to brick your phone for doing some development.

PS : I would prefer THIS TRICK. Once again , this is only an alternative method especially for you who have wifi error problem after rooting and lost superuser access , or accidentally restore to factory default , hoping the wifi problem gone suddenly by itself
##program force closes acore??? cant get any further.... Help??

Upvote 0
Thanks willster419! That was it!! haven't had time to go any further with it. Do you know what the other hidden feature menu apk is?? I also reinstalled all the ncm.phone wrapper and qualcom permissions.......just incase hhaahahaha thanks again one I get time ill hopefully have recovery on this thing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones