• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Casio Commando Improvement wishlist

Oregon2

Aug 28, 2011
First of I want to Thank Casio for making this phone. I would never have even gotten a smartphone had this not came out. I am too rough on phones. The only ones that have survived were previous Casio tough phones. I am very happy I don’t need a stupid case and I don’t have to take extra caution at work or play for a phone. Really I don’t know why more companies don’t realize this. Besides the fact they need them to break so people buy more. In making this phone I know sacrifices had to be made to make it so durable, but now that it’s out and we have a rugged smartphone that is really cool for now. Let’s make a list of features and hardware that could be improved upon for the next model. I hope it stays this size width and length, unlike those gaudy 4"+ screens. I don’t carry want to carry a man purse just so I can carry my damn phone. Keep it pocket size please. They could make it thicker if they need to expand it for improvements. Please keep the tactile key, and make it where it can be set to turn on flashlight.

Software Improvements

No Start up video, or an option to turn it off. At least an option to make it silent. (Can’t turn on in a meeting/class or next to someone sleeping)

Make an option to turn off passcode for Voicemail.

Make a way to set flash to actually flash, instead of the constant bright light. (Everybody has to squint especially at night which leads to bad smiles.)

Make G'zGear apps separate. (So we can go straight to what we actually want to use, instead of having to access the whole menu. Some people use one or two apps but not all of them.)

Make the Thermometer app where I can see my current temperature without the three extra city temperatures. (Not everyone lives in a major city)

Hardware Improvements (Listed in order of importance)

#1 Better antennae (for a rugged phone that is promoted to be used for hiking, jogging, fishing, and camping it sure could use better reception. The Droid X2 has more bars everywhere I test them.)

#2 Larger battery (more battery life can't hurt anything and I wouldn't mind the phone being slightly thicker. Don't know why everyone is so set on being thin. Look and how thick the Casio flip phones are!! What if you want to go on a two day hike or camping? Good luck on your rugged device's battery lasting.)

#3 More Sensitive screen and ability to lower the brightness further. (Other phones that have gorilla glass still respond better and don’t blind you at night)

#4 Zoom function in 5MP mode (takes good photos just can’t zoom. REALLY?!!)

#5 1GB of RAM

#6 1 GHz processor (so it doesn't look underpowered compared to other devices. That will attract more users) Honestly this is one I don't care if the next one gets and I really hope it doesn't. It is already really fast once you remove all of the bloatware from Verizon and if it stays at 800mhz I will be happy because with this slightly smaller processor it will last even longer with a bigger battery!!

#7 Could run on LTE but not really and issue

Got anything else or disagree?? Please post!!

Hey Oregon2, Soon as my house sells I'm moving to Bend. Can't wait. From the AZ deserts to Bend Oregon. Huge diff and really looking forward to it, love Bend.
I agree this device is awesome and the build quality alone is one of it's best features. To comment on some of your questions: Start up vid, yeah, I don't care for it either but leave my phone on all the time anyway so it seldom starts. You can obviously adjust your volume to zero and not hear it or vibe before you turn it off. Or rooted I hear it is removable altogether.
The vm passcode is a verizon thing and you can go to your vm options and set it for no code.
Agreed re the flash. But the flashlight app is awesome and super bright, very handy.
Re g-zone apps. I swear I saw a way to do this, but might have been with a 3rd party launcher. I'll repost if I recall it.
Re thermometer: There are tons of weather apps(free) that might do what you want. I use the weather channel which works well with gps, but gps can drain battery so usually just click it when I want to see. There's got to be an app if you look that will put the temp on your home screen.
I have no complaints about the antenna. I get great RF and just returned from a 5500 mile Pac N/W trip where I went on many backroads and gave the RF a real good test. I also like that no matter how I hold it, it keeps a steady signal. No complaints from me re this.
A larger battery would be nice, but will probably not happen as any mod to the battery door would void the water tightness. I just have a couple pods and a car charger so I've not had any issue.
Re the screen sensitivity I find the commando has a slight learning curve as to where you tap it to make it accept the tap. For instance in calendar when I want to make a new appointment and I am saving it I found that a tap just to the left of center works every time on the save button. Little things like this once figured out don't bother me. The other issue with sensitivity for me is with the browser. It seems to be somewhat non-reactive and kind of slow and jerky. My solution is to use opera mini for most things. It is very smooth. Dolphin is also good. Makes me wonder why the oem browser is the way it is if these other two browsers are very sensitive. (???)
Yeah the zoom function or rather lack of it in 5mp mode is lame.
The RAM could be better, but I've not had to many issues regarding it's available amounts. The processor seems very fast to me, but I came from a BB bold 9650 to this my first droid device, so I'm thinking wow, this pup is quick. Someone used to android might have a diff opinion.
As far as LTE, it seems to hog battery anyway and where I usually go there is none so no biggie as far as I'm concerned. I don't think all the bugs are out of LTE yet anyway. I'm ok to wait awhile , maybe my next device.

In summary, For my usage this is an awesome device. My gripes are pretty minor and any device will have something I don't care for or have an issue about. I use the paid hot spot feature for now and like it a lot, tethering occasionally also. It's a great device and will keep me happy for quite awhile. The thing is an absolute tank and I really appreciate the build quality. So nice to be able to just toss it around in a pocket, car or what not, no case no screen protector and it really can take it. I've had it since May and love it. Best speaker phone of any phone I've ever had I think. No big complaints from me and I think you covered it very well.
One last comment, This seems to be a real niche device and it makes me feel extra good having it. Never owned a casio phone before. I'm impressed.

EDIT: Regarding g-apps separate, not sure this is what your talking about, but if I go to my menu button(left side button) press add>shortcuts>scroll to the bottom and I can access any of the gzone apps to be put on any screen individually. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Lol I didn't mean it to sound like I'm hating on the phone just stating some facts. Congrats on moving to Oregon, I just moved here recently and its great.

Actually there is no way to have it be silent when you boot it up unless you use a file manager and replace the start-up .mp3 file with and 1 sec .mp3 of just silence. I have rooted my phone and gotten rid of all the Verizon Bloatware. Now when I start my phone the G'zOne video only plays half it. Then it goes straight to the unlock screen, it doesn't even display the Verizon Wireless logo or sound. It's really fast now after that and installing GO Launcher Ex. There are quite a few good threads to read in the Casio Commando all thing root subforum.

This is also my first smart phone as well because I would just break any other smart phone.

I did not want an app for telling me the weather. i just wanted one that uses the thermometer that is located to the right of the earpiece. Yes this phone actually has a temperature sensor. I didn't want one that uses the internet. I already have accuweather an app that does that just fine. I wanted them to be separatable (if thats a real word) because I uninstalled the G'zgear too because I dont use them and it slows down the phone because it uses system memory. so i just wanted to keep one which is not possible

The RF has service in almost everywhere i've been but with a droid X2 and an Iphone 4 next to it. They always have more bars. My call quality is great either way. I was just saying there is room for improvement.

Did not want a new battery for my phone but a bigger one for the Next phone Casio makes

I dont have LTE in my area anyways so I dont care lol that was more of what may attract more attention to it. I'd rather not have it for increased battery life anyways.

Thanks for you input hope to hear back

Upvote 0
On the voice mail you can edit the contact to *86,,,passcode,1 and it will dial and start your messages without any input from you.

Are you saying that you can enter the phones setup menu, go to "Call setting", then to "Voicemail settings", then to "Voicemail number" and enter the password after the *86? This never worked on mine.

I tried every combination I could think of, no spaces, spaces, commas, P.
Nothing worked. Kept generating an error and reverting back to just *86.
This is long before I rooted my phone or deleted anything.

I had this working properly on my Droid1......had that phone for a year and a half. The Commando would never alllow it.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rj I have had this done for quite some time too with the *86,,pass.
This list was hopes for the next commando phone that comes out not really to improve on the one we have. I really doubt Casio does any of it on this phone. And actually if you look up the Japan version of the Commando (its called Casio G'zOne IS11CA) came out about 2 months after ours and did come with an 8 mp camera and 1ghz processor. I think it also comes with a better screen. I know I'll be on board when the next american model comes out. It will probably be a DROID Bionic on Roids with the way Casio makes these phone cases. hope they give us more on board memory and most important a huge battery to trump all phones so that outdoor trips can last multiple days without charging or plugging it into quick chargers.

Upvote 0
Are you saying that you can enter the phones setup menu, go to "Call setting", then to "Voicemail settings", then to "Voicemail number" and enter the password after the *86? This never worked on mine.

I tried every combination I could think of, no spaces, spaces, commas, P.
Nothing worked. Kept generating an error and reverting back to just *86.
This is long before I rooted my phone or deleted anything.

I had this working properly on my Droid1......had that phone for a year and a half. The Commando would never alllow it.

Try syncing contacts with Gmail then editing the voicemail contact in Gmail then sync again. Worked on my wifes phone not sure why because under the VM settings it still shows only *86.

Reactions: Rafael
Upvote 0
Try syncing contacts with Gmail then editing the voicemail contact in Gmail then sync again. Worked on my wifes phone not sure why because under the VM settings it still shows only *86.
Correction. I crrated a VM contact a while back, iit accepts password just fine.

I was hoping you had a fix for the internal VM button in the dialer.
Still looking for a way to make that work.

Upvote 0
For years I have had an extra contact I made called vmail. I have the pauses and the password in that. When I got this phone, I just put a direct dial shortcut on my homescreen. Now I have 1 touch dialing to my voicemail.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of even having a password tho? Some people have to watch out for GF's and the like getting into their phones. Just sayin'. ;)

Upvote 0
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of even having a password tho? Some people have to watch out for GF's and the like getting into their phones. Just sayin'. ;)

Good point.
I don't have a problem with someone hearing my VM's, but I can see where others might. Of course, if we could store our passwords in the VM app like other phones......anyone could find it just as easy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones