1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Casting to tv

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Greenveg, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Greenveg

Greenveg Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    Hi,
    I have a Samsung Galaxy J3 phone. I have been trying to cast from the phone to my tv. There is a Google Chromecast plugged into the HDMI socket on the tv, and I have the Chromecast and Allcast apps on my phone. I have no problem casting a video. I have an app called Mobdro installed on the phone. When I stream tv channels or tv shows with Mobdro from the phone to tv, it is ok, but live sports channels are presenting a problem. I can watch a particular sports channel on the phone, but when I try to cast, it shows on the tv that it is searching for that channel, but all it shows is the Mobdro logo on the tv screen.

Advertisement

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Could be DRM copyright protection to restrict screen-casting of the sports channels, especially if the TV shows are casting OK. Check with the provider I think.

svim and AMOCO like this.
  3. Greenveg

Greenveg Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    I have a Hudl 2 Android Tablet and screen casting these sports channels are no problem.

4. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    So just to clarify, you can cast these sports channels from your tablet but not from your phone, and you're using this Mobdro app on both? As Mobdro is not on Google Play and needs to be side-loaded, are both your phone and your tablet running the same version of the app?

5. Greenveg

Greenveg Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    I can cast these sports channels from my Hudl 2 tablet to my tv. Anything that is showing on the tablet can be mirrored to the tv. I am using the same Mobdro app (version 2.0.16) on the phone and tablet.

6. Greenveg

Greenveg Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    I opened Mobdro > Menu (3Bars) > Settings > Enable hardware decoding. I switched this on, and the sports channels were screening to my tv. A bit sporadic, it would screen, try again and a message said "Connection Error". Try again, and it would screen. I don't know if this is a Wifi issue. I live in the UK.

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    OK, there's a clue. I've now realized that Mobdro is illegal pirate streams, things like paid premium sports channels for free etc. UK ISPs can and do block illegal pirate sites and streams. Are you with BT, Talk Talk, Sky, Virgin Media, EE, etc?

svim likes this.
  8. Greenveg

Greenveg Newbie
    None

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    My ISP is Sky UK. You are correct, Mobdro is a free streaming site, and very popular in the UK. I have watched Sports channels live with Mobdro when I have been on holiday in Spain, France and other countries in Europe. Mobdro stream a lot of American sports channels too. Nobody has ever told me that Mobdro is illegal.

9. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    Trying not to be too judgmental but if nobody has told you it's illegal is that because you're just not listening? Actively seeking solutions to watch pay-for content for free has an ethical twist to it too.
    Selective availability based solely on profit-motive and anti-consumerism are all issues tied to DRM and those who benefit from it, but no matter what we're all stuck in a world where money rules.

10. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    FYI
    http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-21601609

BTW my father's ISP is also Sky. And I have found that some of the illegal sites and streams I can access no problems in China, are indeed blocked by Sky.