• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

CAT S60 battery life issue with 6.0.1 (Wifi drain)

I solved Android 6.0.1 wifi battery drain for CAT S60 in such way:

comment from CATPhones:

Thank you for contacting CATPhones Support regarding Wi-Fi consuming your battery.

With regard to the issue that even with WiFi not in use the battery drains considerably, please be advised that this is a new Android feature, the Marshmallow has a setting that most customers will accept by default.

To avoid the drain on the batteries, we would advise you to perform a factory reset. This is a factory reset, which means that the software on your phone after this procedure will become just like when the phone was purchased. Please ensure you have backed up all your files such as music, photos, etc on your memory card beforehand, because all data will be deleted.

In the latest releases of Android 5.1+ Google has implemented a security feature to ensure that if your phone is stolen and a factory reset was performed the user will need to input the login details of the last used Google Account on that phone, which means that for example if you sell your phone or give it to somebody and you have not previously removed your Google account and pin or pattern lock the new user will need your account details in order to unlock the phone.

Please make sure you are aware of the last used Google Account on your phone, as the device will request this details after the factory reset.

Factory reset:

1. Go to settings menu
2. Select 'Backup & Reset'
3. Select 'Factory data reset'.
3. Select 'Reset phone' and 'Erase everything'

After Protect your phone you will come across “Bullitt Privacy Policy” Agree to that then you come to the magic screen.

“Google Services” – Legend – These services put Google to work for you, and you can turn them on off at any time. Data will be used in accordance
with Googles privacy Policy.

Kindly these are all ticked by default. Most customers just click next and next again and then next again.

However in here is the section you need to leave un-ticked.

First one is Help Apps find your location – no issue.

Second one: This is the puppy. Scroll down to ‘Improve Location Accuracy’ allowing apps and services to scan for Wi-Fi networks and Bluetooth devices, even when Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are off. This needs to be un-ticked, which will stop the battery drain when turned off.

Note if you reset at this point the section becomes ticked by default again.

We sincerely hope this helps!

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Upvote 0
Greetings Cats! I too bought a Cat s60 with extras including the same wifi drain! I'm lucky to have the battery last 6 hours! I bought it in December 2017 and apparently they still haven't addressed the issue a year later! Judging by the 2016 date for the majority of these posts! I wonder if the battery issue is the reason for the "phone/mobile accessories/Power Vault bundle" that I purchased! The power vault at full charge can charge the phone 4 times before it's recharge is needed! Seems somebody at Bullitt realized the power problem and attempted to offset it! My HTC M8 One had exceptional battery life! I could go for 48 hours between each charge! Why the differences in battery life between phones with similar if not the same features and OS's? The only fixes this phone needs to make it perfect, would be a larger screen and the power problem!

Reactions: Team WorldTour
Upvote 0
Hi, also a new member.
I had a sudden loss of battery life and found it was associated with Wi-Fi.
Turning off wi-fi made no difference but when I turned off Wi-Fi scanning the original long battery life returned.
Am I right that this must mean that turning off the wi-fi just stops apps from using it and doesn't actually turn it off?

Upvote 0
I am affected as well. My WiFi often drains my battery out of a sudden. Even over night and especially when I disabled it completely or in flight mode.
Recently I charged the phone completely and left it in flight mode over night and did not use it at all for 24 hours. Did not even switch the screen on to see the time. The attached screenshots show the result.
At the moment I get a better battery life when I leave my WiFi enabled all the time, no matter whether it has connection or not.
The third screenshot shows a night when I left WiFi enabled. However, sometimes it still drains battery. It's rather volatile.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180521-203111.png
    Screenshot_20180521-203111.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 534
  • Screenshot_20180521-203553.png
    Screenshot_20180521-203553.png
    59.8 KB · Views: 518
  • Screenshot_20180523-045643.png
    Screenshot_20180523-045643.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 457
Upvote 0
Hello all,
another happy CAT S60 owner here, unfortunately facing same issues. It's really sad that after so many years the problem still wasn't fixed by vendor...
Now, I did all the stuff you recommended on this thread, and even rooted my phone to have more control. And yes, finally a rooting method is available for CAT S60!
After long tinkering and customization I made sure I followed all the recommendations here I have an interesting result: during last 24 hours of (mostly) stand-by my battery fell from 100% to 94%, which seems like a very good result, and yet Android battery usage stats is showing that continuous WiFi bar as if there was WiFi wakelock active all the time. I am confused, is it possible that it is showing incorrectly? Or is it possible my phone only used 6% of battery during 24 hours with constant WiFi lock? I don't know what to believe...

Also, isn't there a way to check what is causing WiFi lock now that I have root? I am almost certain there has to be a way, maybe even an app available that would tell exactly which app/process is causing WiFi wakelock. Do any of you know of such method/app?

P.S., I also installed ForceDoze which may or may not have contributed heavily to such outstanding (so far) battery life.

Upvote 0
I noticed something interesting recently: my phone was doing a clicking noise, almost not hearable. It repeated every two or three minutes. It was while the phone was draining battery and getting warm. To me it was like the sound of an auto focus from the camera and it also came from that direction. Did anyone else notice that?
Maybe the phone keeps the camera or even the flir on but Android reports its battery consumption as WiFi?

Upvote 0
So I found a way to fight this WiFi wakelock. I assume everyone here knows what ADB is and how to use it, so you connect via ADB and run:
adb shell
pm list packages​
You then take a list of packages and using advanced Search&Replace in your favorite text editor compile a list like this:
appops set com.google.android.youtube WAKE_LOCK ignore
appops set com.android.providers.telephony WAKE_LOCK ignore
appops set com.google.android.apps.inputmethod.cantonese WAKE_LOCK ignore
appops set com.viber.voip WAKE_LOCK ignore
...​
Well, you get the idea, you need to run "appops set com.some.application WAKE_LOCK ignore" for each and every app you don't want to allow wakelocks for. While it's worth reviewing the list and removing packages that you want to allow to have ability to WAKELOCK your device, but I went "all in" and excluded only the very few, such as Greenify and Force Doze. It seems to have finally broken WiFi lock and I no longer see that green line next to WiFi in batery stats. I will see how the actual battery life changes after this, very curious...

Upvote 0
Spoke too soon — WiFi indicator line is continuously green again... :-D :-D This is getting ridiculous. Either Android is flat out lying about WiFi usage, or there is something totally f**ked up with this particular device/ROM.
Also, denying that WAKE_LOCK permission apparently doesn't do anything — I can still see my apps happily acquiring wakelocks even after running those commands over ADB. Android is absolutelly messed up OS designed by drunken rodeo clowns. You can try to control what it does, but it's pointless as it will just continue doing what it wants and not what you tell it to do... Turning off WiFi doesn't really turn it off and revoking app permissions doesn't really revoke any permissions.

And what about "Airplane mode"? If Google is happy to continue allowing apps to use WiFi and other radios even in Airplane mode, it's basically same as Google telling us that airlines' requirements to turn off radios while in flight is totall bullshit and we can ignore it... Thanks, Google, I will keep that in mind next time I fly.

Upvote 0
I just got the S60 a few weeks ago and had been noticing these problems as well with WiFi being on even when off. Turn a out there is a sneaky little button on the wifi screen it's light blue text on a white background so it is barely noticeable. If you click that it brings you to the options to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth searching. So far have had my battery last much longer. Hope this helps

Upvote 0
I just got the S60 a few weeks ago and had been noticing these problems as well with WiFi being on even when off. Turn a out there is a sneaky little button on the wifi screen it's light blue text on a white background so it is barely noticeable. If you click that it brings you to the options to turn off WiFi and Bluetooth searching. So far have had my battery last much longer. Hope this helps
Can you show it in a screenshot?

Upvote 0
I always seem to suffer from terrible battery life and phones going slow, and this S60 is no exception for me. When things get bad, and phone really slows down as well as drains the battery, my preferred fix is to wipe the partition cache. No idea why this noticeably speeds my phone up and improves battery life, but I do this every few weeks now. Cannot explain why it would work. Also went into locations and clicked the ... and turned 'use Bluetooth and wifi' off for scanning.

If i need to extend my battery a little I go into running services (developer options) and stop some unnecessary services I don't want running, like DDPAI, TripIt, Vimeo, ... these are apps I use once in a while but don't want hogging services and RAM. How can we stop these from starting up automatically?

Upvote 0
my preferred fix is to wipe the partition cache

Typically if my overnight drain (with batt. saver on!) is 25% I wipe the cache partition and then it goes back to a 10% drain. Also speeds up my phone very considerably. Why isn't the partition cache managed better, and why isn't there an app that can either clear it or manage it better? Wiping the cache partition is a bit of a bother having to restart and go through the procedure...

Upvote 0
Hello everyone. So, I'm another happy user of Cat S60 phone and got this 'rugged monster' as a present.

Since I encountered same issue with a battery life, some research was done, a ton of shoutouts were gathered from a bunch of forums/comments/appstores/etc.
Then it was all tested and checked live on a Cat S60 device.

Here is the conclusions I've arrived at, and the possible solutions for various cases:

1. "The Wi-Fi module draining battery even when it's OFF":
    if you're seeing "Wi-Fi" battery consumption as a number 1 in the list (as mentioned by 0815fox in this post - see screenshots there), you should turn off Wi-Fi and Bluetooth network scan. To do that, go to Wi-Fi settings and notice the small text under the main one:
    To improve location accuracy, system apps and services can still scan for Wi-Fi networks. You can change this in scanning settings
    Click the "scanning settings" link and turn off the sliders.

But that was only a part of solution. After "Wi-Fi" disappeared from battery consumption list, my battery discharge graph was still looking like this one from bandario's comparison post: my battery life raised from 24 hours to almost 36 or even 2 days. After each recharge the battery discharge graph was so random that it suited under no logic at all. I removed AVG - but that was not the case. I did everything, mentioned in the posts of this thread, turning off and restricting all of the apps to use geolocation stuff and etc. Still no tangible effect.

Then I've come to the point of reading through comments on Play Market about MyFLIR application. While reading, I've noticed that 'clicking sounds' S60 was doing, while not in active mode. This goes to 0815fox post about noticing the same. It was indeed the autofocus of the camera. Putting it all together, reading a tonn of comments and service answers, it leads to second major problem:

2. "The myFLIR app is draining battery even when the app itself is closed":
    There is a bug in the app itself:
    sometimes the app wont close properly and when the phone is in standby, the shutter still moves randomly. Also it drains the battery when this happens making the phone warm to the touch.
    Either do not run myFLIR app after phone reboot, or check your battery health after each myFLIR launch and see if it was shut down correctly.

This issue was the major one for my case, and after myFLIR uninstall (just to be sure; I've reinstalled it later), one full charge served me for 9 days of standby mode with time-to-time calls.

So, if you see that weird randomly down graph on your battery consumption section, check yourself on recent myFLIR app using. If you're using it too often at work, running and closing the app constantly, that may be a real challenge for your battery life. To get more info about that bug, just check out the user reviews at Play Market.

Upvote 0
"com qualcomm qcrilmsgtunnel service needs to be disabled":
as it turned out in my case, this was also an issue, adding to battery drain, when phone status was idle. You can get more info by googling `com qualcomm qcrilmsgtunnel` battery...
Sample battery discharge graph was something like this:

Attachments

• 9015974.png
    9015974.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 257
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones