1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Catalina broke my IDE: Where are the SDKs?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by MisterVargas, Nov 19, 2019.

1. MisterVargas

MisterVargas Lurker

Apple decided that several development environments were a security risk and dumped them into "previously relocated files" during the Catalina update.

This of course broke Android Studio, which is hounding me for the location of the SDK when I start it.

I have numerous SDKs installed, but can't find them. Or rather, I can't determine what actually counts as an SDK, in terms of what Studio is looking for.

Screen shot of the directory structure attached. What is Studio looking for as the root of an SDK? Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. MisterVargas

MisterVargas Lurker

Well, since this has apparently stumped the Android community, I'll help you out:

It's the entire Android directory above.

3. mikedt

mikedt 你好

With the Mac OS Catalina update, all software must be 64-bit. Were you seeing any warnings previously with Mojave about possible incompatible software? Something like "This software is not optimized for your Mac" ?

As for updating Android Studio SDKs, no ideas as I'm not a dev, so can't really help you there.

BTW are there many Android devs using Macs? If you were developing for iOS devices, no problems of course.

#3 mikedt, Nov 20, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  4. MisterVargas

MisterVargas Lurker

This doesn't have anything to do with 64-bit, but thanks for the reply.

I don't know why Android devs wouldn't use Macs. Android Studio is freely available on the platform, and it's also required for iOS development. So it's the only cross-platform development platform.

#4 MisterVargas, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    mikedt likes this.
  5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Ok.

I use a Mac myself, and it's just that anything I've heard of that wasn't compatible with Catalina, is because it wasn't 64-bit. Such as the Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac I was using, but I've since updated that. And any devs I've heard about on AF, I think they're using Linux or Windows.

6. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I've installed the sdk on a Mac, though I've never found time to use it. I don't see why the platform would matter - unlike Apple, Google have no vested interest in forcing people to buy a particular computer in order to develop for Android.

I'm leaving Catalina for another month or 2 though - wait at least until Christmas, when I'll have time to deal with any problems.

mikedt likes this.