• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Caught in a continuous reboot :(

Hi guys

I really hope somebody on this forum can help as I have no idea what to do.

I had been running Cyanogenmod successfully on this phone, but today I downloaded CoreDroid as I fancied a change. Downloaded the .zip file, put it on an SD card, then used Clockword Recovery to boot into that little text-based menu and chose "install from .zip".

It appeared to install fine, but when the phone booted up I got the CoreDroid loading screen for ages. Eventually it took me to the main phone screen, but I was faced with a barrage of error messages telling me that every single thing on the phone has "stopped unexpectedly" and needs to close. I can't do *anything* with the phone -- if I hit the power button quickly enough in-between error messages I can tell the phone to reboot (I tried telling it to boot into recovery but it didn't work).

Basically my phone is now doing nothing but continuously playing the loading screen and then, once I take it past keylock, displaying me a tonne of error messages and then rebooting.

Apparently holding Volume Down along with the power button can load a Recovery screen? I tried this and it took me into CoreDroid Safe Mode, but the error messages and problems still remained.

Please, please help. I have absolutely no idea what to do, and can't even get to a recovery menu. :(

From your description of how you installed it, it sounds like you never wiped any of your data, right?

When switching between different roms, such as going cyanogen to CoreDroid, you need to do a factory reset in between. To be honest, I'm surprised it even booted.

But it's not a hard problem to fix. All you need to do is pull the battery out, put it back in and then hold down the volume down button and the power button. That should boot you into a white screen, where you need to use the volume buttons as up and down to move the cursor to RECOVERY and use the power button to select it.

Then you should see the text based recovery menu again. You'll want to do a factory reset and then flash CoreDroid again. Then it should boot just fine.

For future reference, these are the steps for flashing a new ROM:

- Backup your current ROM (very important)
- Factory reset (you can substitue in 'Wiping the dalvik cache' here, if you're just adding a minor update of the same ROM you're running.
- Flash the new firmware
- Reboot

Also, you can tell ROM manager to do all of this without booting into the recovery menu. If you point it at a zip, it will ask you whether you want to backup or factory reset and then it will boot into recovery and do them all at once for you.

Reactions: phatbass
Upvote 0
From your description of how you installed it, it sounds like you never wiped any of your data, right?

When switching between different roms, such as going cyanogen to CoreDroid, you need to do a factory reset in between. To be honest, I'm surprised it even booted.

But it's not a hard problem to fix. All you need to do is pull the battery out, put it back in and then hold down the volume down button and the power button. That should boot you into a white screen, where you need to use the volume buttons as up and down to move the cursor to RECOVERY and use the power button to select it.

Then you should see the text based recovery menu again. You'll want to do a factory reset and then flash CoreDroid again. Then it should boot just fine.

For future reference, these are the steps for flashing a new ROM:

- Backup your current ROM (very important)
- Factory reset (you can substitue in 'Wiping the dalvik cache' here, if you're just adding a minor update of the same ROM you're running.
- Flash the new firmware
- Reboot

Also, you can tell ROM manager to do all of this without booting into the recovery menu. If you point it at a zip, it will ask you whether you want to backup or factory reset and then it will boot into recovery and do them all at once for you.

Could this be stickied? Great advice I'm sure there are a few peeps that think they've irretrievably bricked their DHD, and others will do so in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones