1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Caught using tethering?

Discussion in 'Metro PCS' started by kikikool, Dec 31, 2012.

1. kikikool

kikikool Newbie
    None

May 21, 2011
    So ive been using pdanet to tether my GS3 to my laptop to use 4g since I currently dont have wifi right now. So far i havent had any problems with it, however I do have it set to hide tethering usage. The only problem with this is that hiding tether usage makes me unable to watch netflix on my laptop because it messes with the flash player or something.

My question is, if I unchecked hide tether usage would I be likely to be caught and have my account reprimanded/4g throttled or something? Have any of you been caught/warned by metro about tethering?

Advertisement

2. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    South Florida
    1st off don't worry that much basically everyone on here "illegally" tethers or bypasses the tether block somehow by using VPN, changing User Agent Strings or trying different browsers
    I think 1st you should try to switch the user agent string of your laptop

3. Gman9831

Gman9831 I'm no Senior
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    South Florida
    And they worse they ever do is say you've used too much data then they throttle you for the rest of the month

4. alfick3

alfick3 Android Expert
    None

Feb 7, 2011
    Male
    IBM SSR
    DFW, TX
    Are you USB tethering, or wifi tethering? It's been my belief, based in part on stuff I've read on this forum, that USB tethering isn't that easy to detect (unless of course you use an inordinate amount of data). I personally use USB tethering with PDAnet and Firefox. I've never had to change my user either. Now, I'm also using it with my LG Optimus M+ on 3G, so maybe that's the difference.

5. DrHangman

DrHangman Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 8, 2012
    Male
    Arlington, Texas
    To answer your question, they don't catch anyone doing anything. The software limits access to most sites if it detects a user agent that it does not like. Netflix is not one of the sites blocked. If you turn off the hide tether usage (which just strips the user agent from your connection), you will be able to access Netflix just fine.
    Netflix also uses your user agent string to determine if your setup is supported. So you could either craft a user agent that bypasses MetroPCS's check and allows Netflix (which is what I did before I started using Windows 8), or turn it on for normal browsing and disable it for Netflix.

6. 05TRAILBLAZER

05TRAILBLAZER Member
    None

Apr 15, 2012
    ft worth, tx
    I'm tethering my gs3 thru the app that's installed in my phone. I use so much data on YouTube n tethering that they throttle me every last days of my bill cycle :( so no more utubes I can still browse the internet fast but cant tether or watch YouTube