• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Caught using tethering?

kikikool

May 21, 2011
So ive been using pdanet to tether my GS3 to my laptop to use 4g since I currently dont have wifi right now. So far i havent had any problems with it, however I do have it set to hide tethering usage. The only problem with this is that hiding tether usage makes me unable to watch netflix on my laptop because it messes with the flash player or something.

My question is, if I unchecked hide tether usage would I be likely to be caught and have my account reprimanded/4g throttled or something? Have any of you been caught/warned by metro about tethering?

Are you USB tethering, or wifi tethering? It's been my belief, based in part on stuff I've read on this forum, that USB tethering isn't that easy to detect (unless of course you use an inordinate amount of data). I personally use USB tethering with PDAnet and Firefox. I've never had to change my user either. Now, I'm also using it with my LG Optimus M+ on 3G, so maybe that's the difference.

Upvote 0
My question is, if I unchecked hide tether usage would I be likely to be caught and have my account reprimanded/4g throttled or something? Have any of you been caught/warned by metro about tethering?

To answer your question, they don't catch anyone doing anything. The software limits access to most sites if it detects a user agent that it does not like. Netflix is not one of the sites blocked. If you turn off the hide tether usage (which just strips the user agent from your connection), you will be able to access Netflix just fine.
Netflix also uses your user agent string to determine if your setup is supported. So you could either craft a user agent that bypasses MetroPCS's check and allows Netflix (which is what I did before I started using Windows 8), or turn it on for normal browsing and disable it for Netflix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones