• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] 3vo Unroot Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite1

Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
1.3 / 1.4 Hboot Unroot guide

First off I wanted to say thanks to DonB and Jerofld for being awesome and helping me root, then unroot my 3vo!! :)

Next up, I would like to thank scrosler on XDA for his guide which helped me figure it all out. Thanks DonB for finding this one. ;)

[HOW TO] Return to 100% stock 1.13.651.7 / ROM - Recovery - S-ON! - xda-developers

I've grabbed pieces of other guides written by DonB, Jerofld, ScaryAilen, and others to complete this. If I forgot anyone, just let me know, and I'll get you in here! :)

Lets get down to the nitty gritty!!

Hboot 1.3 and 1.4 Guide

Step 1) How to install and configure the Android SDK

First you need to get HTC Sync working and have the android SDK for sending ADB commands to your phone.
1) HTC Sync is needed to link your phone to your computer with the proper drivers. On XDA they link the HTC drivers by themselves. These are fine, if you can find em, but Jerofld couldn't find a direct link on the HTC site (neither could I), so we're going to use HTC Sync. :)
2) Mini-SDK is a multiple platform set of fastboot and ADB so that you do not have to download the full Android SDK. It is easier to use, too. Just download sdk-tools.zip and extract it to your hard drive. I'll assume that most of you are using Windows, and for this tutorial, I'll extract Mini SDK to C:\sdk-tools. But Mini-SDK has Mac and Linux versions included in the zip file, so all are supported here.
Alternatively, if you want to install the full Android SDK, you can do so by following this guide.[/spoiler]

Step 2) Flashing the stock ROM

When I unrooted my 3vo I tried to run the RUU.exe while on a custom Sense 3.5 ROM and it would not flash. Once I flashed a stock ROM all went well. :)

METHOD-1

If you made a nandroid of your Stock rom when you first rooted, just simply restore that nandroid. ;)
If you didn't make a nandroid or have lost it, follow method 2 below.

METHOD-2

1. Download the stock ROM ZIP image from here .

Thanks for the link Jerofld!

2. Copy it to SD Card

3. Reboot phone into hboot mode by holding volume down and then press power. Keep volume down held until you boot into hboot mode.

4. In hboot mode Select recovery and press power. Wait until the phone reboots into recovery.

5. Depending on your recovery, the menu's will differ slightly, but the method will be the same. First make a NANDroid backup (just in case ;) ), find the back up and restore option and select. Scroll down to back up and select.

6. Next back out of the back up and restore menu, and select the wipe menu. Wipe everything except the SD card. I personally wipe multiple times, it's a habit from the old Clockwork Mod on the OG EVO not wiping properly. LOL :)
7. Back out of the wipe menu and select the flash menu. Select the flash .zip from SD. Scroll down and select the Stock rom downloaded earlier.
8. Back out of the flash menu, and select reboot phone. Let the phone boot up.

Step 3) Download the 3vo RUU.exe

1. Run the RUU.exe:

1.13.651.7:
Goo-inside.me Downloads - Downloading RUU_Shooter_S_Sprint_WWE_1.13.651.7_Radio_0.97.10. 0530_NV_NV_SPCS_1.16_release_198109_signed.exe

Once again thanks Jerofld!!

Step 4) Run The RUU

First off make sure your phone is at least 50% charged prior to starting this step, but full charged is preferred. ;)

1. Make sure the HTC drivers you downloaded earlier are installed and working. Do this by connecting your phone to your computer. If your computer detects it, your drivers are working.

2. Run the RUU.exe on your computer. It takes a few minutes to boot up, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear immediately.

3. Follow the prompts. It should ask you to ensure your phone is plugged into the computer and that ADB debugging is on.

4. The RUU should recognise the phone and start running. Be patient, do not unplug the phone under any circumstances!!

Alternative method to flashing a RUU

If RUU.exe does not work for you, you can manually extract the RUU.zip from the RUU.exe.

1) Go to Start > Run > type "%temp%" and push enter, this is your temp directory. I recommend you clear out as much as you can.

2) Run RUU.exe with this folder open. You'll see a few new directories, in one of them, there is a file called rom.zip. Copy that file to your SD card and rename it to "PG86img.zip".

3) Reboot your phone into bootloader mode. This file should flash.

4) If it doesn't and you're on HBOOT 1.5, I've heard that you have to relock your bootloader first. Also, you can't use anything other than RUU 2.17.651.5. To do this, open fastboot and type "fastboot oem lock" to lock the HBOOT 1.5 bootloader and then reboot the bootloader to try again.

Thanks to EddyOS for his post here: RUU as .zip ... possible?

Step 5) Turn S-ON

1. Boot the phone back up and turn off fastboot ( Menu / Settings / Power uncheck fastboot ). Keep the phone plugged into your computer.

2. Power the phone down. Reboot phone into hboot mode by holding volume down and then press power. Keep volume down held until you boot into hboot mode.

3. Once in Hboot select the Fastboot option. Fastboot should be highlighted and be in bold red. Set the phone down and concentrate on your computer.

4. Now, click Start and either open Run, or click in the text box in your start menu. Then type 'cmd'. You get a command prompt. Now we need to go to the Mini SDK folder. If you installed it in the same directory I did, you can copy (or type):

Code:
cd C:\sdk-tools

Now go back into your command prompt and right click on it. Click paste and then push enter. You should now be in the mini SDK directory. If you have Windows 7, you can go to your mini SDK folder and hold shift and right click on the folder and click "Open command window here" as an alternative means than copying and pasting (thanks to mteezey for the tip). To check that you are in the right folder, you can type 'fastboot' then enter, you should get this:

Code:
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  continue                                 continue with autoboot
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
  help                                     show this help message

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
  -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default:

C:\sdk-tools>
If you see this, fastboot is running correctly. :)

5. Now in the command prompt you need to send the writesecure flag command to the phone to set S-ON.

Type this in the command prompt and hit enter:

Code:
fastboot oem writesecureflag 3

6. Grab your phone and scroll down in hboot and select reboot bootloader. If sucessful, you should now see S-ON at the top. :)

Once again thanks to all mentioned above, and hopefully this guide helps anyone who is in need of S-ON for any reason. :)

Reactions: jerofld and DonB
Hboot 1.5 Guide

Once again I want to thank DonB and Jerofld for being awesome and helping me develop these guides!! :)

Step 1) How to install and configure the Android SDK

First you need to get HTC Sync working and have the android SDK for sending ADB commands to your phone.
1) HTC Sync is needed to link your phone to your computer with the proper drivers. On XDA they link the HTC drivers by themselves. These are fine, if you can find em, but Jerofld couldn't find a direct link on the HTC site (neither could I), so we're going to use HTC Sync. :)
2) Mini-SDK is a multiple platform set of fastboot and ADB so that you do not have to download the full Android SDK. It is easier to use, too. Just download sdk-tools.zip and extract it to your hard drive. I'll assume that most of you are using Windows, and for this tutorial, I'll extract Mini SDK to C:\sdk-tools. But Mini-SDK has Mac and Linux versions included in the zip file, so all are supported here.
Alternatively, if you want to install the full Android SDK, you can do so by following this guide .

Step 2) Locking the Bootloader

1. Plug your phone into your computer with the data cable.

2. Power the phone down. Reboot phone into hboot mode by holding volume down and then press power. Keep volume down held until you boot into hboot mode.

3. You should already be in fastboot if you connected your phone to your computer through your USB cable. If not, select the Fastboot option. Fastboot should be highlighted and be in bold red. Set the phone down and concentrate on your computer.

4. Now, click Start and either open Run, or click in the text box in your start menu. Then type 'cmd'. You get a command prompt. Now we need to go to the Mini SDK folder. If you installed it in the same directory I did, you can copy (or type):

Code:
cd C:\sdk-tools

Now go back into your command prompt and right click on it. Click paste and then push enter. You should now be in the mini SDK directory. If you have Windows 7, you can go to your mini SDK folder and hold shift and right click on the folder and click "Open command window here" as an alternative means than copying and pasting (thanks to mteezey for the tip). To check that you are in the right folder, you can type 'fastboot' then enter, you should get this:

Code:
C:\sdk-tools>fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
  update <filename>                        reflash device from update.zip
  flashall                                 flash boot + recovery + system
  flash <partition> [ <filename> ]         write a file to a flash partition
  erase <partition>                        erase a flash partition
  getvar <variable>                        display a bootloader variable
  boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]              download and boot kernel
  flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ]    create bootimage and flash it
  devices                                  list all connected devices
  continue                                 continue with autoboot
  reboot                                   reboot device normally
  reboot-bootloader                        reboot device into bootloader
  help                                     show this help message

options:
  -w                                       erase userdata and cache
  -s <serial number>                       specify device serial number
  -p <product>                             specify product name
  -c <cmdline>                             override kernel commandline
  -i <vendor id>                           specify a custom USB vendor id
  -b <base_addr>                           specify a custom kernel base address
  -n <page size>                           specify the nand page size. default:

C:\sdk-tools>

If you see this, fastboot is running correctly. :)

5. Now in the command prompt you need to send the oem lock command to the phone to lock the bootloader.

Type this in the command prompt and hit enter:

Code:
fastboot oem lock

6. Grab your phone and scroll down in hboot and select reboot bootloader. If sucessful, you should now see LOCKED at the top. :)

Step 3) Run the RUU

First off make sure your phone is at least 50% charged prior to starting this step, but full charged is preferred. ;)

1. Make sure the HTC drivers you downloaded earlier are installed and working. Do this by connecting your phone to your computer. If your computer detects it, your drivers are working.

2. Run the RUU.exe on your computer. It takes a few minutes to boot up, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear immediately.

3. Follow the prompts. It should ask you to ensure your phone is plugged into the computer and that ADB debugging is on.

4. The RUU should recognise the phone and start running. Be patient, do not unplug the phone under any circumstances!!

Alternative method to flashing a RUU

If RUU.exe does not work for you, you can manually extract the RUU.zip from the RUU.exe.

1) Go to Start > Run > type "%temp%" and push enter, this is your temp directory. I recommend you clear out as much as you can.

2) Run RUU.exe with this folder open. You'll see a few new directories, in one of them, there is a file called rom.zip. Copy that file to your SD card and rename it to "PG86img.zip".

3) Reboot your phone into bootloader mode. This file should flash.

4) If it doesn't and you're on HBOOT 1.5, I've heard that you have to relock your bootloader first. Also, you can't use anything other than RUU 2.17.651.5. To do this, open fastboot and type "fastboot oem lock" to lock the HBOOT 1.5 bootloader and then reboot the bootloader to try again.

Thanks to EddyOS for his post here: RUU as .zip ... possible?

Hopefully this guide helps anyone in need of a locked bootloader for any reason. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones