• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Android Lollipop

Root is an odd thing for sure. Considering the fact that Android is open source. I mean what good is open source to them if people aren't tweaking it, building it, installing the modified source, running and testing it. I mean its free R&D. That's where a lot of ideas come from that they ultimately snatch up for their next release, right? So why make root hard to obtain? Seems counter productive to me.

But yeah totally looking forward to 5.0 and even more than stock Lollipop I want CM12 and all the subsequent offshoots. Good things are coming our way.

Upvote 0
Root is an odd thing for sure. Considering the fact that Android is open source. I mean what good is open source to them if people aren't tweaking it, building it, installing the modified source, running and testing it. I mean its free R&D. That's where a lot of ideas come from that they ultimately snatch up for their next release, right? So why make root hard to obtain? Seems counter productive to me.

But yeah totally looking forward to 5.0 and even more than stock Lollipop I want CM12 and all the subsequent offshoots. Good things are coming our way.

goes like this

"In the new Android we're probably going to loose root"

*so head's up devs your gonna need new rootkits*

Reactions: Slayer1822
Upvote 0
goes like this

"In the new Android we're probably going to loose root"

*so head's up devs your gonna need new rootkits*

That's exactly my point. Why give a "heads up" like that at all. By saying that they are essentially, albeit indirectly, giving a clue that new methods of root will be required. Why not just provide a root method instead of creating a game out of it.

I understand that providing all users with root would be problematic. People with no intention of modding may accidentally screw up their phones. So I get that. But why not make a standard multi step process that people, with the knowledge to do so, could use to provide reasonably easy to obtain root access. Its as if they want to make a game out of it. Seems childish.

Upvote 0
That's exactly my point. Why give a "heads up" like that at all. By saying that they are essentially, albeit indirectly, giving a clue that new methods of root will be required. Why not just provide a root method instead of creating a game out of it.

I understand that providing all users with root would be problematic. People with no intention of modding may accidentally screw up their phones. So I get that. But why not make a standard multi step process that people, with the knowledge to do so, could use to provide reasonably easy to obtain root access. Its as if they want to make a game out of it. Seems childish.

I highly second that. It would be nice to have that, I mean if you think about it Google Play devices are kind of like that, but bootloader wise, only one challenge not needed to be tackled. But yeah, it would be nice for them to provide one.

Upvote 0
Told you

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415249356292.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415249356292.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 94
Reactions: travioso
Upvote 0
Its pretty simple why Google doesn't provide a root tool. They get searches for 'how to root' tons of times a day I'm guessing. My guess is (looking at how Google operates) they probably get a huge kick out of the hardware makers' efforts to keep us from changing system files. And by kick, I do mean kick-back. Its an indirect monetary source created by our love for hacking. It almost sounds illegal or unfair, but whatever. Got to remember dev's get donations quite often as well. So if it hurts no one, then why the fuss?

Upvote 0
Its pretty simple why Google doesn't provide a root tool. They get searches for 'how to root' tons of times a day I'm guessing. My guess is (looking at how Google operates) they probably get a huge kick out of the hardware makers' efforts to keep us from changing system files. And by kick, I do mean kick-back. Its an indirect monetary source created by our love for hacking. It almost sounds illegal or unfair, but whatever. Got to remember dev's get donations quite often as well. So if it hurts no one, then why the fuss?
I think the manufacturers biggest gripe with root is the amount of fraudulent warranty replacements they shell out every year from people who soft/hard brick or otherwise bork their phone.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
I think the manufacturers biggest gripe with root is the amount of fraudulent warranty replacements they shell out every year from people who soft/hard brick or otherwise bork their phone.
This.

Google itself has no issues with root. In fact, google essentially gives nexus users a root method - fastboot OEM unlock. Google also doesn't void warranties for being rooted.

New security features in lollipop meant root has to be at the kernel level (right now at least), but that wasn't google attempting to block it.

Its the manufacturers who don't like it, because people try to get devices replaced when it was user error, and carriers hate it for the same reason + tethering.

Upvote 0
This.

Google itself has no issues with root. In fact, google essentially gives nexus users a root method - fastboot OEM unlock. Google also doesn't void warranties for being rooted.

New security features in lollipop meant root has to be at the kernel level (right now at least), but that wasn't google attempting to block it.

Its the manufacturers who don't like it, because people try to get devices replaced when it was user error, and carriers hate it for the same reason + tethering.
Agreed and some providers, sprint for example won't void warranty due to root. I do however have a gripe about the tethering... Its a native capability of the Android OS and I'd think it'd be protected under GNL or Apache licensing... Why should a carrier care how we use our data as long as we pay our bill?

Upvote 0
Agreed and some providers, sprint for example won't void warranty due to root. I do however have a gripe about the tethering... Its a native capability of the Android OS and I'd think it'd be protected under GNL or Apache licensing... Why should a carrier care how we use our data as long as we pay our bill?
From the FCC's standpoint - if you pay for let's say 5GB of data, you can use it however you wish. That's why Verizon had to start allowing tethering for its not unlimited plans.

If its unlimited data, the carriers can charge extra for the ability to share it with multiple devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones