1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[CDMA] Automatically Signed Up For Premium Texting Service?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by LBPHeretic, Dec 16, 2011.

1. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Android Expert

I recently helped a friend root his Sprint HTC EVO 3D using the Revolutionary method. I then flashed TWRP Recovery, but he wanted ClockworkMod Recovery, so I installed ROM Manager and flashed that for him. Oh, and I had to sideload the SuperUser .apk file as well, which I got in this thread: [GUIDE] How to Root the HTC EVO 3D [Video Walkthrough] - xda-developers .

The next week, he was automatically signed up for some premium text messaging service that sends gossip texts for $9.99 a month. He did not voluntarily sign up for this service, nor has he installed anything new on his stock rooted ROM, and ClockworkMod Recovery, which was completely factory reset before I helped him root. He saw the text message indicating he had been signed up, but he did not text "STOP" to stop it, and instead he called Sprint and had them remove the charge and block it. Does anyone have any idea how he could have gotten signed up this for service automatically? I do not see how it could possibly be related to unlocking his bootloader and rooting his handset. Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

I rooted with Revolutionary and I do not get those texts. Sideloading SU.apk seems odd, though. Most of us flash the stock ROM + SU to get SU. Or a new ROM entirely.

I doubt it happened while you were following those instructions (because there would be a lot more complaints), but it wouldn't hurt to do a full wipe and install a custom ROM.

3. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Android Expert

This is a common MALWARE Scam. He downloaded a bad app someehere.

NOTHING to do with Revo....

4. LBPHeretic

I would agree with you, but his handset was completely factory reset before rooting. Additionally, before rooting, his handset was brand new and he had not installed any apps at all.

I agree and do not think it has anything to do with the rooting process. Everything we did was by the book in a guide on xda-developers mentioned in my original post. The only "weird" thing we did was flash the SuperUser .apk file, which was also included in the aforementioned guide. ROM Manager was obtained directly from Koush's website. The TWRP Recovery was obtained from this thread here: http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...lash-recovery-image-via-fastboot-sd-card.html . I am beginning to think that the premium text messaging charge has nothing do with anything he did with his handset. I wonder if it just happened because some company had his handset's phone number and opted him into their service?

5. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Then it was the SU APK you installed, it was probably a bad one, I have also heard this before.

6. LBPHeretic

Would you be able to provide me with some links substantiating that? Not that I do not believe you, DonB, but I would just like to read about it and see if that is the case for sure.

I grabbed the SuperUser .apk from a link in the guide that I posted above. It has been used probably by hundreds of people and I do not see any complaints about the SuperUser .apk file causing issues like this in that thread.

7. DonB

I am not usre that it is the SU APK, but you said that was the only app you side loaded, I did read somewhere of members loading APK's that they downloaded and it did the same issue. I will try to find where I read that, it was awhile ago.

8. LBPHeretic

I have heard about people sideloading .apk files that were laced with malware too. They usually end up being dicey looking apps from another country or something.

I compared the file size of the SuperUser .apk file that I flashed to two others that I downloaded and they all matched. If you do find that evidence of an infected SuperUser .apk, I would love to read about it.

9. DonB

I will look around and see if I found it, but it was not specific to the SU apk, it was simply bad apk files, I simply said it was most likely your SU app as you mentioned that was the only file you side loaded, so that is why I said it was most likely your SU app. If not then I do not know what else it could be. :thinking:

10. LBPHeretic

Thanks for clarifying what you said above, DonB. I really think it actually has nothing to do with the S-OFF and rooting process that we took with my friend's Sprint HTC EVO 3D.

I found a website that showed others who were automatically signed up to that premium text messaging service on the exact same day as my friend was. It seems like some how some place got his handset's phone number and just opted him in to the monthly charge automatically.

11. DonB

Very interesting

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews