• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Can't Install Superuser?

K927A

Jun 25, 2011
I'm sitting down getting ready to root, and I thought to try the old temp root method to back some things up first. The script seems to work until it gets to installing superuser.apk where it throws and insufficient storage error.
So I got curious and tried installing from the market. Same error. From SD, same story. I tried a few superuser apps, all the same error. I tried installing superuser from the market on a different non-rooted phone and it worked fine (but of course it didn't have root permissions). I can't figure out why it won't install. I installed a number of other apps (for testing purposes) with no issues.

This has halted me in my tracks a bit. I'm wondering if this issue will persist after I run revolutionary. Does anyone have any ideas?
Stock Evo3d 1.30hboot

I don't have this device any longer, but I am no sure you can still do a temp root, with the latest exploit on this device. You would have to do the permanent root option, then you will be able to have SU and also make a Nandroid before you flash a custom Rom.

Not sure how current this still is, but I am sure either Brian or Scotty will be in to check in on you, but you can check this thread out here

http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-3...shing-evo-3d-roms-kernels-using-fastboot.html

Upvote 0
I don't think you need to temp root. You haven't taken any updates and you're still on hboot 1.30.

Revolutionary gives you s-off without the need to unlock the bootloader, which in turn means you don't need to factory reset the phone. In fact, with s-off, you never need to unlock the bootloader if you so choose.

Once you are s-off, you can add custom recovery through the bootloader.

Instructions:
1. Download File. Check md5 for a match ;)

2. Place the file on the root of your sd card (not in any folders).

3. Rename the file to PG86IMG.zip

4. Reboot into bootloader.

5. When asked to update, say yes by hitting volume up.

6. When it's all finished, hit power button to reboot.

7. *Important! After booting up, immediately rename or delete the file.

*The presence of the file on your sd card will prevent you from entering recovery in an emergency situation. It's nothing to panic about, but if you get caught in a bootloop, you will have to manually remove the file using a pc and card reader or another phone. That said, to avoid bootloops and being stuck with no way to boot up and no way to enter recovery, plan ahead. If you are on a rom that requires hboot 1.58 and you flash hboot 1.5, you will hit a bootloop and not be able to access recovery. You would then need to remove the file or flash a compatible rom through fastboot connected to a pc.

Once recovery is installed, make a full backup of the phone.

After you have a successful backup, flash the latest superSU via recovery and voila!, rooted.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Yeah I figured it all out. I finally did S-off with revolutionary. It took maybe two minutes. Afterwards I used fastboot to boot into TWRP and took a nandroid with everything (save for hboot) still stock. Left stock recovery for now.
Finally I got SuperSU on there by installing zip from TWRP. I couldn't install any rooting apps from the market. TWRP gives the option to install SuperSU if it detects you don't have it, tried that too and it didn't work right. Only installing the zip seemed to do it. All root functions work now.

Still having the issue though, I tried to install Adfree (not from the market) and I get the same out of space error even though I have space. I caught whiffs from another thread that it may be an error with package installer or something?

Thanks for everyone's help btw. Brian our year old thread on rooting helped refresh my memory before jumping in. Still working on a disappearing space on /data issue I mention in another thread

Reactions: DonB and scotty85
Upvote 0
I'm still not able to install several root apps, I get an insufficient space error. Is there an alternate way to install these apps? Anyone have an idea how I might correct the error?

Seems to affect root type apps. So far I've tried: wifi tether, adfree, and all of the superuser apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones