• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] clockworkmod 5.0.0.x available

novox77

Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
Jul 7, 2010
By chance, I opened ROM Manager and it told me a new CWM was available: 5.0.0.0. So I flashed it. Made a NANDroid with it.

Just read in another forum that old NANDroids won't work with v5.0. So I'm going to test it. Will post results later. Not too concerned, since if I really wanted to, I can go back to the old CWM, flash the old NANDroid, flash CWM5, then back it up with CWM5.

Pain if you have a bunch. But I only have one.

I just used CWM5.0.0.0 to restore a NANDroid made with CWM4.0.1.5. It worked just fine. So someone was talking out of their ass. No surprise. Always good to test and verify yourself.

At a glance, I don't see any new features except for font color change and background image. NANDroid backup structure appears different. Things are tarballed. But overall size is the same.

Reactions: paully and DonB
Upvote 0
Ok, confirmed that something wacky happened. I restored the NANDroid I made with CWM5, and just before it was finished, the phone black-screened on me.

I pressed power, and it booted up fine. Looked like the restore worked. But none of my rooted apps could access su.

I flashed CWM4.0.1.5 back for now. Thinking of giving TWRP a try again.

Reactions: paully and DonB
Upvote 0
Yep when I originally posted about this early yesterday morning, I also posted over at XDA and many were having issues, thus the reason why I did not flash, I want to see reports from others, even Joey Krim was having issues., let me know what you think of TWRP, I may switch also down the road. I guess no matter which one we use there will be pros and cons.

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/404954-twrp-cwm-3.html

Clockworkmod Recovery Update !! - xda-developers

Ok, confirmed that something wacky happened. I restored the NANDroid I made with CWM5, and just before it was finished, the phone black-screened on me.

I pressed power, and it booted up fine. Looked like the restore worked. But none of my rooted apps could access su.

I flashed CWM4.0.1.5 back for now. Thinking of giving TWRP a try again.

Upvote 0
Wow. I have not updated ClockworkMod Recovery for my Sprint HTC EVO 3D for a while, so I will take this opportunity to do so.

I guess the newest version of ClockworkMod Recovery still does not compress Nandroid backups like TWRP Recovery does? How much space are people saving with these compressed Nandroid backups anyway?

I don't compress my NANDroids. Part of the reason why I upgraded my SD card, though, is because NANDroids were killing my SD card w/ Clockwork and pics and 3D vids, etc.

Upvote 0
Wow. I have not updated ClockworkMod Recovery for my Sprint HTC EVO 3D for a while, so I will take this opportunity to do so.

I guess the newest version of ClockworkMod Recovery still does not compress Nandroid backups like TWRP Recovery does? How much space are people saving with these compressed Nandroid backups anyway?

I only compressed it once it took about fifteen minutes. In the long run the full backup was 586mb when I started the backup the system alone was 690 something and I'm sure I probably had at least 300 megs of data plus boot prob 15 or so. And so on. So I would say it cuts them a little less than half.

Upvote 0
twrp2 is out and is fully touch screen... i couldnt believe it when i saw it.... and it works awesome!

Yea I flashed the night they released thanks to the guy what posted they were releasing 2.0 on my twrp thread. Ive had a few bugs with it but nothing major. I'm gonna try to minimize recovery sessions just in case until they release like 2.0.2 or higher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones