• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Confused: Rooted, but won't flash roms? Help

yea flashed recovery the way it said to with command prompts.. it said it worked..

I go to rom manager, select my rom..it asks do i want to wipe data,cache etc.. says it will reboot into clockwork mod then normally reboots. it never flashes the new rom.

You may have mis understood the steps. You use CWM ROM Manager to install the recovery. Sounds like you may have mismatched recovery.

Upvote 0
Agree - if you want to Flash through Rom Manager (you shouldn't, its better to learn these things) you need to flash the current recovery on the app.

Open Rom manager - First thins is to Flash ClockworkMod recovery.
wait - when it says Recovery flashed successfully.....THEN you can flash a rom.

OR.....you can boot into recovery by powering off then powering back on holding power and volume down until Recovery screen pops up.....

Happy Flashing.

Reactions: wake69
Upvote 0
Agree - if you want to Flash through Rom Manager (you shouldn't, its better to learn these things) you need to flash the current recovery on the app.

Open Rom manager - First thins is to Flash ClockworkMod recovery.
wait - when it says Recovery flashed successfully.....THEN you can flash a rom.

OR.....you can boot into recovery by powering off then powering back on holding power and volume down until Recovery screen pops up.....

Happy Flashing.

This is the step i was referring to

fastboot flash recovery cwm-4.0.1.4-shooter.img

But i did also try to flash clockwork through rom manager. it says successful, but nothing. I also tried the install from sd card option from the recovery screen, also did not work.

Upvote 0
if you dont have recovery you should not have super user. you need to flash su in stock rom.

download cwm 4.0.1.4 again rename it recovery.img if you are using windows, the .img will be put in automatically.

boot into bootloader verify you have s-off

then verify your sdk is correctly set up, here is an easy guide
http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/406577-android-sdk-windows-based-guide.html

then test the fastboot command with fastboot reboot

if that works boot back to bootloader, makesure the recovery.img file is in same folder as the fastboot command

issue fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

if this works then you are good to go. let us know how it goes

Upvote 0
Melvyn, just because it is "unlocked" does not mean you have root access. It just means the bootloader is unlocked.

Now the big question here is CAN YOU GET TO RECOVERY???

And a related one is, DO YOU HAVE SUPERUSER.

When you use a root app(like ROM Manager) does ask you to allow superuser access to the app? Also you can DL terminal Emulator and open it and type SU and then see if the $ prompt turns to a # prompt.

If you have SU access but cannot get to recovery see thread here....

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/407519-rom-help-did-i-break-something.html

Upvote 0
Melvyn, just because it is "unlocked" does not mean you have root access. It just means the bootloader is unlocked.

Now the big question here is CAN YOU GET TO RECOVERY???

And a related one is, DO YOU HAVE SUPERUSER.

When you use a root app(like ROM Manager) does ask you to allow superuser access to the app? Also you can DL terminal Emulator and open it and type SU and then see if the $ prompt turns to a # prompt.

If you have SU access but cannot get to recovery see thread here....

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/407519-rom-help-did-i-break-something.html

Heres where I'm confused. Bootloader is unlocked. It has superuser, asks to allow etc.. Root apps work.. i used root uninstaller to remove some of the stock sprint apps.. it works..

when i use rom manager to flash, it says it will reboot into clockwork etc... then reboots normally..

same for recovery, i go into hboot, go to recovery.. it automatically restarts the phone normally.

Whats next? I re did all of the install steps mentioned.

Upvote 0
I fixed it!

Heres what i did...

-Uninstalled Rom manager

-Went back into fast boot

-Used command prompt reflashed CWM 4.0.1.4

-Got to the recovery screen (Blue)

-Did a complete wipe of everything

-Rebooted... and now its ok! I think the trick is DO NOT USE ROM MANAGER AT ALL! NOw it runs rome and its awesome!

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones