1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

[CDMA] EVO 3D more locked down than Fort Knox

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by brownhornet, May 24, 2011.

1. brownhornet

brownhornet Android Enthusiast

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

this is heavily discussed in the rooting subsection.

And yeah, I can see a lot of people defecting from HTC because of this. I just wonder if it's enough people for them to feel the difference and affect policy. Looking at Motorola, I don't think there's enough backlash...

3. lbhocky19

lbhocky19 Member

there goes my pre order. htc used to be the open company who let you do what you want. screw them.

4. Jackietreehorn

Jackietreehorn Android Enthusiast

My hope would be yes, but I'm sure there isn't. They won't miss any of "us" that decide not to get it because of this.

5. you2

you2 Android Expert

I thought sprint said they would not lock the evo3d during the cita presentation; maybe my memory is off here or I missed something ?

6. darynm

darynm Newbie

ok, what does this mean to the average consumer. If bootloader is locked down does that mean that you can not boost the speed of the phone or can't install or use such programs like pdanet?

7. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!

My assumption is that the "average consumer" does not root their phone. So this is inconsequential for the vast majority of people. Which is why for those who care, it's hard to apply any leverage for the manufacturer to change their policy.

8. Jackietreehorn

Jackietreehorn Android Enthusiast

With the bootloader locked, you will very likely still be able to achieve partial root, where you can install things like PDAnet or Titanium Backup, but won't be able to load custom ROMs/Kernals/that kind of thing, like CM7.

9. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert

I base my phone purchases on the availability of root and ROMs so I won't be buying this phone until the developer community finds a way around these hurdles. I guess it's time to research other options.

HTC EVO 3D Forum

The HTC EVO 3D release date was July 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, Snapdragon S3 processor, and 1730mAh battery.

July 2011
Release Date
Reviews