• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Evo3D Boot Animation

Got my custom animation working. Image-only.

Here's what I did. I'd have to play a little more to find out which steps are unnecessary/if there are any unnecessary steps.

1) I didn't touch desc.txt. It was fine the way it was.
2) I didn't change the HTC boot animation.
3) What i did change was the Sprint images. I named them the way the original zip has them.
4) I made sure the images did NOT compress when I put them into the zip archive. (this seems to be the money-winner)
5) Once i put it in the /system/customize/resource folder, i changed the permissions to match the permissions of all the other files in the folder. I'll put up a pic in a few mins. EDIT:
2gkczhu6c
20110801154330.png

Play around with these steps. See what works for you.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I just found it, located here: DROID DESTROYS APPLE Boot Animation - Ported for Atrix - xda-developers

Because the Atrix and the EVO 3D are qHD 540x960 screens, I would assume that a boot animation for the Atrix would work on the EVO 3D, but this one doesn't want to work.

Glad to hear I'm on the right track. Once we get the boot animation working, I might try the down animation as well.

Got this animation working. The files were .jpgs. I ran a batch conversion to png's. Didn't have to mess with file names at all. So the lesson here (at least for me is):

1) Make sure my sequence is a PNG sequence (not JPG or any other image format)
2) Add all of the files (the part0 and part1 folders, and desc.txt / or as in the case of the original animation, android and Sprint folders, and desc.txt) into an UNCOMPRESSED Zip Archive.

I don't have to worry about anything else as long as these two rules are followed.

If you want the animation all packed up and ready to go, tell me where I can upload it (i don't know this forum's link-posting rules).

EDIT:
Got a custom bootdown animation working as well. Now I really wish for a custom bootup sound to come soon.

Reactions: JD_from_da_80s
Upvote 0
Now to my earlier question:

How can i enable the boot-up sound so I can sync it up with my custom animation?

EDIT:

I was just looking around some threads. So, the EVO 3D does not come with a boot-up sound? Against my best judgment, I ask: Does that mean we can't use a custom boot-up sound?

And if so, why do we even have "android_sound.mp3" inside /system/customize/resource?

EDIT0:

Thanks novox77.

Upvote 0
Now to my earlier question:

How can i enable the boot-up sound so I can sync it up with my custom animation?

I suspect this stock ROM doesn't support audio with the boot animation. I see a legacy mp3 (android_audio.mp3) in /system/customize/resource, but it doesn't seem to be used.

I also tried copying that file to the other usual haunts:

/system/media
/data/local

and even tried the Evo 4G froyo file name:
SPC_animation_final.mp3 under /system/customize/resource.

nothing plays.

Well, I suspect some dev will get it working with a custom ROM and/or kernel.

Upvote 0
the zip compression is only one of MANY ways the phone won't recognize the boot animation file. See my earlier post above for how to create a valid boot animation:

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all-things-root/340563-evo3d-boot-animation.html#post2819689

Note that my example is based on an Evo 4G. You'll need to change the resolution in the desc file as well as make sure the images in your boot animation are qHD as well.
How would I go about making an uncompressed .zip archive? I tried adding all the files to a .zip, but when I go to properties, it says it's a compressed .zip archive. :/ I really want the sprint boot animation gone.

Upvote 0
Got this animation working. The files were .jpgs. I ran a batch conversion to png's. Didn't have to mess with file names at all. So the lesson here (at least for me is):

1) Make sure my sequence is a PNG sequence (not JPG or any other image format)
2) Add all of the files (the part0 and part1 folders, and desc.txt / or as in the case of the original animation, android and Sprint folders, and desc.txt) into an UNCOMPRESSED Zip Archive.

I don't have to worry about anything else as long as these two rules are followed.

If you want the animation all packed up and ready to go, tell me where I can upload it (i don't know this forum's link-posting rules).
I would suggest posting it on mediafire or multiupload or something, and providing a link to it here.

Upvote 0
How would I go about making an uncompressed .zip archive? I tried adding all the files to a .zip, but when I go to properties, it says it's a compressed .zip archive. :/ I really want the sprint boot animation gone.

Get WinZip. When you zip with WinZip, you can choose the compression settings (and therefore, tell the program to NOT compress your files).

It's not a free program, [moderated]

Working on the upload... EDIT: ... and here it is!

http://www.mediafire.com/?1pqzpsqb587rb63

Just stick that into /system/customize/resource (while /system is mounted as r/w!), and confirm the overwrite.

Reboot and see what you get.

** If it doesn't work, go back to the file and change the permissions to look like the image I posted earlier ^^

Upvote 0
Get WinZip. When you zip with WinZip, you can choose the compression settings (and therefore, tell the program to NOT compress your files).

It's not a free program, [moderated]

Working on the upload... EDIT: ... and here it is!

Sprint_bootanimation.zip

Just stick that into /system/customize/resource (while /system is mounted as r/w!), and confirm the overwrite.

Reboot and see what you get.

** If it doesn't work, go back to the file and change the permissions to look like the image I posted earlier ^^

the .zip file you uploaded works beautifully. Thank you so much. No that I know what to do, I'll try to make my own.

Upvote 0
Right. Thanks again!

A little more on topic to the thread, how do these boot sounds get enabled with new kernels/ROMs?

I guess my real inquiry is, have phones without a default startup-sound been given one after some clever scripting?

I've been lurking XDA for ROMs that would enable this, but there's nothing as of yet. Ah, question number 2! Is this a relatively easy task to accomplish?

It seems I'm made of questions. But I'm very curious. I got my very first smartphone (the EVO 3D I'm now using) around 3 weeks ago and ever since I've lurked THIS forum because I'm so hungry for information. Hopefully someone can satiate my appetite!

Upvote 0
So I was playing around and had a decent idea for a boot animation. I'm still touching it up and trying to think of something that may fit with it for the repeat secondary image.

I couldn't find some place that could host animated gifs large enough to where the text isn't blurred. So I just zipped it and put it on media fire. Any suggestions are welcome!

early version.zip

Once I clean it up and make a decent repeating scheme for it, I'll probably release it. It is definitely something geeks would be interested in previewing :p Bonus question: Guess what version of Linux it is. Hint: It actually says it in the sprawling amount of text. And yes, I know the values don't add up. Done intentionally.

Upvote 0
So I was playing around and had a decent idea for a boot animation. I'm still touching it up and trying to think of something that may fit with it for the repeat secondary image.

I couldn't find some place that could host animated gifs large enough to where the text isn't blurred. So I just zipped it and put it on media fire. Any suggestions are welcome!

early version.zip

Once I clean it up and make a decent repeating scheme for it, I'll probably release it. It is definitely something geeks would be interested in previewing :p Bonus question: Guess what version of Linux it is. Hint: It actually says it in the sprawling amount of text. And yes, I know the values don't add up. Done intentionally.
Not bad, Jer. I've always liked new and interesting boot animations, and once you get yours all cleaned up, I'll take it for a spin.

Upvote 0
Hi all.

I thought it imperative to post the link to this MOD from XDA over here. I know I would have wanted someone to tell me earlier!

It moves your custom boot up and boot down animations (with boot up and boot down sounds!) to data/local, as, I understand, is the common location when people make MODs for this.

[MOD]BootScoot-V2- Now With Sound !! - xda-developers
SO we flash the bootscoot zip, then we place the boot up and down animations, along with sound, in the specified bootanimation flasher, and then flash it? Seems easy enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones