• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [CDMA] Firmware (N00b conf00sion again) Question(s)

toad6386

Android Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2010
So Cen TX
Ok, so as part a couple of ROM's OP, it states to ensure you have the right firmware. I've read some have a base of 2.17 or 2.89. Is the base referring to the firmware or vice versa, and how can you tell if you have the right one? Or is that only an issue if you flashed a custom kernel on top of a ROM? Thanks in advance!

Ok, so as part a couple of ROM's OP, it states to ensure you have the right firmware. I've read some have a base of 2.17 or 2.89. Is the base referring to the firmware or vice versa, and how can you tell if you have the right one? Or is that only an issue if you flashed a custom kernel on top of a ROM? Thanks in advance!

Did a little bit of research for you over at xda. If I read it right for the roms requiring 2.17 or 2.89 baseband you'll need to be on hboot 1.4 and s

Reactions: toad6386 and DonB
Upvote 0
I actually haven't came across any that required those bands and flashed at least a dozen roms with no problems

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Funny you just sent that cuz I just came across this possible answer (specifically post #533), which clears things up somewhat. Have you tired CoolICS, or Z3rd ICS yet? Thanks for all your help!

Upvote 0
Funny you just sent that cuz I just came across this possible answer (specifically post #533), which clears things up somewhat. Have you tired CoolICS, or Z3rd ICS yet? Thanks for all your help!

I haven't tried cool yet but I ran zr3d ics for about 2 weeks its a really good Rom I just got tired of sense

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0
OK, so I dug some more and came across post#42 in this thread and think I'm getting the hang of it.

To summarize then, as of today, if anyone kept up with the OTAs up until Sprint released ICS (hence having a 2.17 base), they can flash any ROM that is NOT 2.89 based (MeanROM ICS being the exception because of mikey's tweak).

2.89 based ROMs require HBOOT 1.58, and some folks are having issues with that, especially those of us unlocked with S-ON.

Did I get that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm married and I'm used to correction! :D)

Upvote 0
You pretty much have it figured out, but there are some that have the update, without the HBoot, but the new radio, but most are S-Off that I know of. Also the big issue is not only the HBoot 1.58, it is the kernel that comes with it. That is why most are having issues with Bootloops.

Did I get that right? Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm married and I'm used to correction! :D)

Reactions: toad6386
Upvote 0
You pretty much have it figured out, but there are some that have the update, without the HBoot, but the new radio, but most are S-Off that I know of. Also the big issue is not only the HBoot 1.58, it is the kernel that comes with it. That is why most are having issues with Bootloops.

Cool! For a while there, I was in the wrong end of the pool, with a hole in my ducky! :(

Many thanks! :D To you too, DS95!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones